Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is engi worth it in PvE atm?

Soon I get to finish my exams and gonna go play some wow again. I play PvE and PvE only (well, I'm on PvP server so sometimes I'm forced to PvP xD) and was wondering - is engineering any good in PvE these days? Last time I used engi was in early/mid wrath and it was pretty cool, had lots of uses (still remember stunning robots on XT fight with my uber belt tinker :P), but I think nitro boots aren't really safe to use in pve environment anymore, I guess few other things are obsolete too, is there anything fun at all that is actually worth using on raids? I know there is some stat boost, but other than that, is there anything? Thanks in advance.
    Maq

Deleted
    Yes, engineering is pretty much the best pve profession you can have if you are good at micro management, so if you don't mind having another 1min CD added to your thought process then definitely get it (talking about synapse springs btw, the glove enchant) there's also other stuff that is very useful, goblin glider for example and while you were correct in saying that nitro boosts are unreliable they can still be useful, just don't use them at a time when you could die if they backfire. You could also use frag belt instead of nitro boosts for an extra damage gain, but once again it means another button to press.

All crafting profs net the same overall stats in the end, besides blacksmith. As blacksmith has the ability to use the bonus for secondary stats, which in some cases is stronger then main stats.

The advantage of Engineering is that you can use your on use buff whenever you like, and can give advantages on certain fights that require a fast burn phase, but it can be a slight disadvantage on fights where you need to sacrifice a gcd every one minute for synapse springs. Nitro boost can be a life saver sometimes.

But in the end, Profession are worth less and less when a expansion progresses, especially in MoP. You will notice a profession buff at ilvl 463 in ten fold then in ilvl 522 for example. With the extreme ilvl and stats we have now. Spellpower on cata 346 items was about 1732, 4.2 ilvl 378 had 2334 spellpower, an increase of 35%. Ilvl 463 has 5151 spellpower, ilvl 522 8925 an increase of 73%.

So professions play a much smaller role then during cata (and wrath).

It's got one of the best dps cooldowns in the game right now, 1920 intel/agi/str on a 60 second cooldown. As well as things like the goblin glider, rocket boots, and many other fun toys.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    it's good if you can get the most out of & control the burst of the gloves.

the runspeed burst from rocket boots can also increase dps, but its situational obviously.
    Hi

Worst case scenario, engineering is slightly ahead of other professions.
    Best case scenario, its significantly ahead of other professions.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    Worst case scenario, engineering is slightly ahead of other professions.
    Best case scenario, its significantly ahead of other professions.
    Thats not true, Engineering gives 1920 main stats for 10 seconds per minute (1920/6=320). Other profs give 320 static stats, so, unless you have a fight with a heavy burn phase, engineering will always be behind, because only 0.001% of raiders will use this exactly when it runs of cd.

I didnt mention it in my last post, but tailoring has the biggest bonus for spellcasters. Lightweave emboidery has a 1 min icd, and runs for 15 secs for 2000 extra intellect. So that nets a 500 intellect bonus. This does not make tailoring always the best choice. For one, you can not control the proc, so it can proc when you to to focus on something else then a burn phase. It can also proc during a phase you can not hit any bosses for example. So, although tailoring and engineering look nice (best proc and strong on use for clever players), static stats often provide the highest average dps.

I always wanted to duo Alchemy and Engineering regardless of how expensive it was to level them. All my friends have engineering on their mains (yes even pve friends) just cause all their needs can be bought from the AH or used on alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post
    Thats not true, Engineering gives 1920 main stats for 10 seconds per minute (1920/6=320). Other profs give 320 static stats, so, unless you have a fight with a heavy burn phase, engineering will always be behind, because only 0.001% of raiders will use this exactly when it runs of cd.

I didnt mention it in my last post, but tailoring has the biggest bonus for spellcasters. Lightweave emboidery has a 1 min icd, and runs for 15 secs for 2000 extra intellect. So that nets a 500 intellect bonus. This does not make tailoring always the best choice. For one, you can not control the proc, so it can proc when you to to focus on something else then a burn phase. It can also proc during a phase you can not hit any bosses for example. So, although tailoring and engineering look nice (best proc and strong on use for clever players), static stats often provide the highest average dps.
    but you can stack it with other CDs, meaning it's better

Eng is fine; in fact it works very nicely with classes/specs that have 1 min dps cds (frost DK and warrior's bloodbath come to mind). Only downside is it makes using an on-use trinket a bit clunkier. On top of that, all the bonus warps/hearths and other utility items (Jeeves) are very nice icing on the cake.

For gold making...it isn't all that. Maybe can sell the agi proc scopes, and/or the dragonling trinket (great for leveling toons and fresh 90s). The mounts you can make can sell, but are very expensive to produce to begin with.

i believe engineering and blacksmithing are the best for PvE, at least for the different things it gives you, but overall, it doesn't matter what you choose honestly. It's so minimal.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact you can stack the glove enchant with other cooldowns makes Engineering a very, very good profession to have. If you're going to level it from scratch and have no miner it's rough on your gold reserves, tbh. If that's the case, then it's well worth it to level mining first, and craft all the bars you'll need to level Engineering, and then drop Mining and learn Engineering with the mats. It will take slightly longer, but it makes engineering a very cheap profession to level this way.

All crafting profs net the same overall stats in the end, besides blacksmith. As blacksmith has the ability to use the bonus for secondary stats, which in some cases is stronger then main stats.

The advantage of Engineering is that you can use your on use buff whenever you like, and can give advantages on certain fights that require a fast burn phase, but it can be a slight disadvantage on fights where you need to sacrifice a gcd every one minute for synapse springs. Nitro boost can be a life saver sometimes.

But in the end, Profession are worth less and less when a expansion progresses, especially in MoP. You will notice a profession buff at ilvl 463 in ten fold then in ilvl 522 for example. With the extreme ilvl and stats we have now. Spellpower on cata 346 items was about 1732, 4.2 ilvl 378 had 2334 spellpower, an increase of 35%. Ilvl 463 has 5151 spellpower, ilvl 522 8925 an increase of 73%.

So professions play a much smaller role then during cata (and wrath).
    Synapse Springs. Do not trigger the GCD. Hence why they are often macro'd to things. Mine are macro'd to energizing brew (windwalker monk).

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can macro it to a 1min (or 2 min) CD such as Stay of Exec or Pillar of Frost, it is a great boost
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by Sephrie View Post
    Soon I get to finish my exams and gonna go play some wow again. I play PvE and PvE only (well, I'm on PvP server so sometimes I'm forced to PvP xD) and was wondering - is engineering any good in PvE these days? Last time I used engi was in early/mid wrath and it was pretty cool, had lots of uses (still remember stunning robots on XT fight with my uber belt tinker :P), but I think nitro boots aren't really safe to use in pve environment anymore, I guess few other things are obsolete too, is there anything fun at all that is actually worth using on raids? I know there is some stat boost, but other than that, is there anything? Thanks in advance.
    Maq
    Engineering provides you with some funky gadgets as well as on demand burst when required. However, it loses out if you ain't using the ability every time it comes of CD. Currently with all professions providing equal values, Tailoring and Engineering give only a miner benefit only if and when the stars align and you actually prefer and are good at micro managing.

However, I would personally always prefer a passive stat bonus rather that something on demand. Hence why I prefer passive trinkets as well.

But then again its only beneficial if you are a min/maxer and are actually vying for world top 10 where every small detail counts which basically means you micro manage and have quite a lot macroed. Then it would prove beneficial. Otherwise I would stick with any of the other professions.

Even if you can't be bothered to add another button to your UI (I'm a hunter, I have enough buttons, thank you), you can just macro it into your main nuke and it'll be used on CD, giving you the same benefit as a passive boost profession. Plus gliders and emergency boots.

That's incorrect. Most players just bind the synapse springs to their main spell these days so it goes off on cooldown. And even so, you cant judge a profession based on how bad players use it.

It is nothing epic or grand, if you like using cooldowns often then it might be fun.

A lot of the gizmos and gadgets have a notable chance to explode/fail and do something bad to you... like kill you.

Synapse Springs.
    /thread

Worth it? You can't get close to as much from any other profession when it comes to playing the game rather than just making money. Goblin Glider, Synapse Springs, Phase Fingers, Frag Belt, Nitro Boosts etc. I wouldn't be able to not have engineering on my main char in a raid environment after getting used to all its benefits.