Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

PVP Gear Gap? I Feel Like I'm Taking Crazy Pills!

All of these changes to PVP in 5.3 are supposed to lessen the so-called "PVP gear gap," which is apparently so oppressive to new 90s.

Am I the only person that thinks that the premise underlying this is false?

You can buy a set of crafted dreadful for a few thousand gold. You can skip that and grind enough honor in 2 days (WG, TB, IoT, Krasarang Wild PVP rares) for the malevolent set.

Where is this punishing gear gap? It seems to me that earning a viable set of PVP gear is easier than it's ever been.

It takes a long time to get arena/rbg gear in comparison. That is where your grind occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplistic View Post
    All of these changes to PVP in 5.3 are supposed to lessen the so-called "PVP gear gap," which is apparently so oppressive to new 90s.

Am I the only person that thinks that the premise underlying this is false?

You can buy a set of crafted dreadful for a few thousand gold. You can skip that and grind enough honor in 2 days (WG, TB, IoT, Krasarang Wild PVP rares) for the malevolent set.

Where is this punishing gear gap? It seems to me that earning a viable set of PVP gear is easier than it's ever been.
    "viable" .. ok come fight my almost full tyr rogue with your full mal and see how "viable" it is.

Players like myself who decide they want to try a new class in PvP at some point get dredged through the gutters by anyone that just caps each week.
    Quite frustrating when you HAVE to play from the beginning of a season all the way to the end and not be able to change Class for some fun competitive PvP without just getting buttfucked by people that buy their way into t2.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

That crafted gear lets you work on the honor set via random BGs, a set that then allows you to get into rated BGs or arena to work on the conquest gear. It's more or less like going from LFR gear to normal, then to heroic, in PVE. Only the "LFR" level pvp gear can be crafted.

It is a bit easier since the crafted gear now grants set bonuses and sockets equal to the higher ilvl versions, but it's still a big hill to climb.

Again. make either crafted gear the baseline for pvp gear, and anything above cosmetic, or make attacks simply bypass all gear stats, and give players an across the board resilence / hit / expertise / crit when engaging other players. This could be as simple as making an aura on players when they're flagged.

Angry

I feel like earning pvp gear is a right of passage. I've went through it on multiple toons , every season and now they just cater to new players. where is the sense of progression for pvpers

If you want progression, do some PvE.

PvP is suppose to be about skills
    Victory to the Alliance !

+1 for the Zoolander quote.

But yea, the gear gap isnt so huge in bgs if your full honor gear but in arenas it really is rough. My friend's rsham and me did 2s yesterday and he has full honor with 2 crafted blues still at like 368k life and we run into rshams with 395k+ life whos dk in unholy presence had like 10k more than my warrior. It really is noticeable by a lot especially when more rbg people get t2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    That crafted gear lets you work on the honor set via random BGs, a set that then allows you to get into rated BGs or arena to work on the conquest gear. It's more or less like going from LFR gear to normal, then to heroic, in PVE. Only the "LFR" level pvp gear can be crafted.

It is a bit easier since the crafted gear now grants set bonuses and sockets equal to the higher ilvl versions, but it's still a big hill to climb.

also, on some low pop servers the crafted gear is very expensive, each peice for the plate set on my server is like 800-1000g, you're really better off not buying the crafted set on there and just griding bgs for a few days.

The hole in the story here is that Blizzard is nerfing PvP power to reduce the gear gap, but if you compare the honor Malevolent set vs the Conquest Tyrannical set, the honor gear actually has more PvP power on it to help balance it against its base stats since they reduced it's item lvl early on.

All this is going to do is further create a gear gap for people getting a late start or alts. Maybe they need to increase the item lvl back up again on the honor gear to offset the pvp power loss since base stats are going to be so much more valuable now.

I think they're looking forward to what happens in the last tier. I think a lot of people go do casual PvP then, instead of canceling their subs. If PvP isn't fixed up it's not going to be pretty.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Players like myself who decide they want to try a new class in PvP at some point get dredged through the gutters by anyone that just caps each week.
    Quite frustrating when you HAVE to play from the beginning of a season all the way to the end and not be able to change Class for some fun competitive PvP without just getting buttfucked by people that buy their way into t2.
    This is so true. Even if you just leave the game for a while and come back, the "thrashing" is no better. You get a horrid week or two to druge through before you can even hope to tickle a well-geared opponent.

After doing a bunch of BGs with a set of some blue PVP gear and a few 483 pieces courtesy of Sha, I wanted to fucking yank my eyeballs out. I can't even imagine how it was before.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Full 476 is not viable, not after a few weeks into the season. Duel someone in Tyrannical and watch how quickly they mop the floor with you.
    This change isn't to lessen the gap (as all power is being nerfed, no matter the item level) it's to slow down gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MiLLeR View Post
    "viable" .. ok come fight my almost full tyr rogue with your full mal and see how "viable" it is.
    so you have played and geared your toon-now you have a slight edge over a new player.whats the problem?you said it yourself that you GEARED your own toon up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got three characters in Mal/Tyr now; one of them I just dinged on two weeks ago. Honestly the "gap" was only apparent on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, because that's when the RBG folk are doing fresh 2s teams for the cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    Full 476 is not viable, not after a few weeks into the season. Duel someone in Tyrannical and watch how quickly they mop the floor with you.
    This change isn't to lessen the gap (as all power is being nerfed, no matter the item level) it's to slow down gameplay.
    BS- all this is a cop-out by blizz to hide the real problems in pvp.you sit here and say o man you cant compete with honor gear against conquest gear.well guess what,you can not compete with shity/broken spec against over powered ones regardless of gear.is blizz fixing that issues at all= hell no.gear is not a problem at all.and yes it takes maybe a day or two to get a full set of honor gear= easy.

why not make pvp and pve gear have the same itme level and make each gear type only usable in there chosen setting.meaning pvp gear for pvp and pve gear in pve.if a player try's to use pvp gear in pve it gets grayed out,same for pve in pvp,"in instanced settings-questing and world stuff would not be effect""see how easy that is=problem solved.whats that you say?u need to have pve gear to grind bgs with if your a new max toon.thats a bug fat no,go buy the crafted set or run bgs for honor and justice point exchange.

the only problem with my idea is pvers would piss and cry because there gear is not "better" then pvp gear any more.they gear would still be itemized differently,so each gear set would be best for it setting type.also blizz needs to go back to pvp and pve specs,= arms = pvp and fury =pve.these tow changes = much muhc better balanced game.
    Last edited by meathead; 2013-05-01 at 01:09 AM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    BS- all this is a cop-out by blizz to hide the real problems in pvp.you sit here and say o man you cant compete with honor gear against conquest gear.well guess what,you can not compete with shity/broken spec against over powered ones regardless of gear.is blizz fixing that issues at all= hell no.gear is not a problem at all.and yes it takes maybe a day or two to get a full set of honor gear= easy.

why not make pvp and pve gear have the same itme level and make each gear type only usable in there chosen setting.meaning pvp gear for pvp and pve gear in pve.if a player try's to use pvp gear in pve it gets grayed out,same for pve in pvp,"in instanced settings-questing and world stuff would not be effect""see how easy that is=problem solved.whats that you say?u need to have pve gear to grind bgs with if your a new max toon.thats a bug fat no,go buy the crafted set or run bgs for honor and justice point exchange.

the only problem with my idea is pvers would piss and cry because there gear is not "better" then pvp gear any more.they gear would still be itemized differently,so each gear set would be best for it setting type.also blizz needs to go back to pvp and pve specs,= arms = pvp and fury =pve.these tow changes = much muhc better balanced game.
    Your last point doesn't make any sense... that's how the game is right now. How many MM and Surv hunters do you see? How many fury warriors do you see? How many Arcane and Fire Mages do you see?

And your first point... they are nerfing the top tier classes. They haven't hit mages yet (surprise surprise), but they are hitting Spriests, hunters, and rogues. Also... their change with the item level ceiling is already going to make respective gear sets best for their environments... so I'm not even sure what you are complaining about?

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Few thousand for Crafted Dreadful? Was pushing a thousand max on a server of mine recently depending on class/spec. If they added Crafted PVP Weapons and had an Honor PVP Weapon since 5.0 that would have helped. I think the gear gap is fairly minor compared to class balance, I think that's the bigger issue IMO. And PVE Gear with insane trinkets.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )