Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    That is the best thing ever. Makes me want to buy the game just to support their awesomeness.
    Wait for it, the people who will try to justify piracy should come outta the woodwork anytime now...[COLOR="red"]
    I don't support piracy in the slightest but I do feel like a lot of the time the companies using the piracy excuse are being more sleazy than the pirates themselves.

Is this really a game or a joke?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerai View Post
    You know which markets are also saturated? Cars, video game consoles, electronics of practically every category, hell even food. Every company involved in those industries should just be prepared for consumers to just steal their product?
    No, but they should be prepared for consumers to duplicate it without removing the original product from the company's possession
    Last edited by bohapjut; 2013-04-30 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahahaha this company are the best trolls ever. A game wich you can play but cant finish.

But they are right in some kind of way. I dont mind them....however company like EA should die (aka not buying anything from them).
    Indie games are worth the money like 60% of the time.
    The only problem is that many games are made in ... well bad grafic (mostly 2d).

But i usualy support indie programers on kickstarter if the idea is good.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    You know which markets are also saturated? Cars, video game consoles, electronics of practically every category, hell even food. Every company involved in those industries should just be prepared for consumers to just steal their product?
    Car manufacturers are trying to discourage sharing cars between more than two or three people with new personalized keys and other "user-specific" settings that are limited to only a few profiles. It hasn't gotten to that point yet, but it is absolutely the direction they're headed in. And if they actually do it... people WILL try to "crack the DRM" (likely disable that feature of the key or copy keys), and, imho rightfully so.

I don't agree that piracy is always 100% justified, like some people. I do however, think it's a gray area, and that some people on both sides of the issue are taking things entirely too far under the convenient guise of 'fair use' or 'anti-piracy'.
    Last edited by Tribunal; 2013-04-30 at 11:11 PM.

To all the people advocating file sharing, we get it you buy a game if you like it. But I am sorry thats you, most others pirate it and never pay for it even if it is the best game/film or whatever thats just the way it is.

As someone who's had his stuff pirated in the past, I'm strongly against it. I found this post hilarious. I've heard of this tactic used in more than one game too.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindisa View Post
    Is this really a game or a joke?
    The game is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    File Sharing is not Piracy, Stealing or theft....
    Funny how some people can't hold a serious discussion about piracy for more than a minute, and feel the need to throw a stupid joke of any sort just because it's convenient to them.

Deleted
    This is a little bit offtopic but I remember an older game like this one , It was mostly text based and free, also you could play it more than 30 years and you could see the charts and some other things. I cant find it anymore , anyone knows the name ? It was something like game making tycoon or game tycoon but I cant find it anywere. Thanks.
    Edit : It might be game tycoon , but when I search it on google it gives me all tycoon games, from what I remember it was about 15-30 mb.
    Last edited by mmoc5c471207b7; 2013-04-30 at 11:44 PM.

Deleted
    Stop trying to justify it. You're stealing the productivity of another human being trying to make a living. Whether it be illegal in your home country or not; that is exactly what you're doing.
    The "Productivity of another Human being" you talk about has already been paid for, They will have a contracted salary a wage. Does not matter if they sell 100, or 1 million copies. they still get paid the same at the time the game is being developed. That is of course unless they have an agreement for a percentage of all sales which is unlikely unless your the CEO of a big firm.

I also do not need to "justify" File-sharing, as there will always be people on both sides of the fence arguing till there blue in the face, one side giving the fileshares flashy names such as "Pirate", "Thief", or some other title to catch the media's eye, And the other side enjoying their Advert free movies, DRM free Music and software.

File sharing has been going on for centuries (literally) Scribes used to sit by candle light and copy out pages of the bible and these would be given or sold on to other people. Times change, technology moves on, but the same thing still happens. Person A Takes a piece of software, Duplicates it, Passes it on to Person B. You can put all the security you want on the files, but there is always someone smart enough to break the security and start the sharing process.

There is no way to stop it. The only way to be able to stop any sort of file sharing now would be to remove every device off the face of the planet that has the ability to duplicate anything, From a stone to scratch into another stone to a duplication press in a factory.

Now as for the the Small indie based company's that survive of a couple of thousand sale of there software, I bet if you where to ask any of them which they would prefer that someone downloads a version of the game to try it out and possibly buy it, or someone who never buys the game at all. That they would in most cases say the former. Its like giving a free sample out.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Funny how some people can't hold a serious discussion about piracy for more than a minute, and feel the need to throw a stupid joke of any sort just because it's convenient to them.
    How is the image a stupid joke ? It puts into pictures (which a lot of people need to understand simple concepts) exactly the difference between Theft, File Sharing, and Piracy.
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2013-04-30 at 11:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deirhese View Post
    Haha, this is genius. Now people who pirate can feel the disgusting feeling when you get pirated except game companies lose real money from their game to which it cost a lot of money and time to make.
    And false advertising. Like the money I wasted on a certain gamed called "Guild Wars 2", where the devs said "no grinding" in their manifesto, while the entire game is based on grinding. This is why I pirate games. To test if they are shite or not.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-05-01 at 12:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Oh lighten up, I had never seen this picture before and it's very laugh worthy

10+ Year Old Account
    Hah, see the power of piracy? A game that would have come and gone without a peep now has notoriety thanks to people pirating the shit out of it!

...That's what I'm supposed to take away from this, right?

It's hard to feel sorry for the gaming industry when most AAA titles are priced above 50-60€ for PC and >70€ for consoles. Specially in this economic climate. It's just ridiculous. Lower the prices accordingly, and piracy would be reduced. It will always exist, but reduced nonetheless.

As for the OP, i actually found it amusing

The game developers are the architects of their own demise.

A: They overprice their products.
    B: They create shitty products.

And most importantly.

Paying customers typically receive a shitty worse version of the game than if you had pirated it.

I'm not actually a game pirate, I use steam, and the prices are low enough that I can horde massive piles of games at little expense to myself. However, that said, I avoid ALL games that have ridiculous DRM, even if the game is supposedly awesome. So I can completely understand where the pirates are coming from, when their version of the game is often better/easier to use than the $60 version. Why would you pay for a shitty version of a game, when you can pirate a better version of the same game? To support the developer? Why support a crappy developer that is more interested in their bottom line than just creating an awesome game? That's actually a big part of the reason I no longer automatically buy Blizzard games. I used to auto buy, because I knew they were an awesome developer that only cared about making a great game, and they trusted that profit would follow the greatness of their game. Now their stance has shifted, they look first to profit, then to development. They seek to hedge their production risk, and in doing so create worse games and worse customer service.

regarding the developer in the op, pretty hilarious.

Deleted
    Stuff
    The problem with "harmless" file-sharing is that even though you don't directly steal food from the devs'/artists'/whatever's mouths, if a product is downloaded for free too much, it could cost those people their jobs through closure of an underperforming studio because they couldn't sell enough copies to satisfy their publisher, means that some more original/interesting games don't get made because they're seen as too risky. You can call yourself whatever you want if it makes you feel better about what you're doing, but it's still a real problem.

You are the reason DRM is forced onto legit paying customers who then have to suffer. It's a circle; you pirate because of DRM, they add DRM to prevent piracy.

Though in my experience, the majority of people downloading games for free aren't doing it for some "higher" reason.. they simply don't want to pay a penny for their 20 hours of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Though in my experience, the majority of people downloading games for free aren't doing it for some "higher" reason.. they simply don't want to pay a penny for their 20 hours of entertainment.
    While many may pirate to save a penny, the problem is that the developers make it impossible to convince the player that his behavior should be changed. Because instead of attacking the problem from the right angle, they make it worse. Why feel guilty about pirating an overpriced, overhyped, likely shitty, non demoable, non refundable, DRMD to hell and back game? How can you convince a player that they shouldn't pirate that game? whereas if the developers acted with any sense of intelligence, it WOULD be possible to convert throngs of would be pirates into actual paying customers. Don't believe it's true? Steam and humblebundle beg to differ.

Fact is there are plenty of good games thriving off of legit proceeds of their games. They are not crippled by piracy, why not?
    Businesses focusing on DRM are still operating under business models from decades ago, they need to step up their game and get with the times. Their business models simply will not work going forward. They can adapt or be replaced by developers more savvy with the current demographics they are selling to.

P.S. the developer from the op complains he only sold some few hundred copies on day 1, maybe he just needs to realize his game fcking sucks.

Also I do know a LOT of people that will pirate a game, try it out and if they like it, buy the full version (unless of course the developer was an idiot and filled the game with nasty DRM)
    Last edited by Beat5beat; 2013-05-01 at 04:03 AM.

I hope their site gets flooded by people who downloaded it from torrent sites, after all THEY released it on the torrent sites, so they have to support it.

this sums it up. really. sharing is caring. not stealing :3
    though i do admit that it deprives the company of a profit that they otherwise would have if there were no 'free' copy available. maybe if games will lower their prices, then more people would actually purchase them. just take a look at steam during sale season.
    On your knees, I want you to beg for forgiveness.

I hope their site gets flooded by people who downloaded it from torrent sites, after all THEY released it on the torrent sites, so they have to support it.

So much win. lmfao