Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't consider this striking back at pirates. I think it is just a nice way to draw attention to piracy. If they were actually striking back, they'd have put in an update system that auto installed malware on systems with the pirated version, which would then go after their credit information, and bill them the full cost. That is striking back.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

When someone pirates something the extreme likelihood is they never valued the product enough to buy it in the first place.

You lose nothing, you gain publicity and word of mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    Fucking awesome SNIP
    If i could, i'd be smashing the shit out of the "Like" button right now, since this is spot on.

People pirate, due to a lack of funds or a lack of perceived value. Why spend x money on a game when I can get it for free and spend that x money on something else.

Let's assume that there's a 90% pirate rate on all games and no DRM. 10k people play the game. 1k pays, 9k gets it for free, games company goes bust and we don't see any more games from them. Now let's assume that someone creates a DRM system that is uncrackable, with no way to even install the game let alone play it; you're still left with only 1k people buying the game. Maybe you convert say 25% on over to paying for your game, that's still a tiny amount, but maybe that's enough to keep the company afloat assuming they're still making games people are willing to pay full price for.

Finnally let's assume that instead of selling your game at full price, it's down to say half. Or even just at $10. The people unwilling to spend $60 on a title, are now paying for the game. Maybe some still won't, maybe 10 bucks is still too high a price, but that's up for the market to decide. If piracy really is so rampant, then the industy should have collapsed years ago. No games companys would have any money to make any games (or games that cost as much as they do, which is yet again a fault of industy not the consumer), if there was a 90% piracy rate across the board.

I am tottally with composemail on this one. I wanted to play Bioshock Infinite and borrowed it from a friend, completed it and gave it back. Does that make me a pirate? Did I steal the game? Would I pay full price for it? No. I'd be willing to spend about £10. I don't care if you, or Irational, or 2k Games or IGN or anyone elses tells me it's worth more than that, that's what I am willing to pay for it.

If this means that I can't get my hands on games with the visuals, writing or gameplay of Bioshock Infinite, well tough, boo-hoo. There's still going to be other games around for me to play, other ways to pass the time and experience storys. The onus can't be on the consumer to keep funding these huge projects without the game companys giving the consumer a reason to.

As composemail said, give gamers a reason to spend their money. Add dev blogs, forums, in-game bonuses, subscription models, added value that a pirate won't recieve.

I brought Withcer 2 at release for £25. I'd never played the first and I've not even killed the Kayren in the second, despite starting it about 3 or 4 times. Will I be buying the 3rd? Hell yes! You got a metric crap ton of added goodies for buying the boxed version of Witcher 2, plus I wanted to support a company that not only makes games I enjoy (but hardly play), but also has a fantastic website for bringing back to life older "classic" games.

Related to the topic - Had Game Dev Tycoon allowed me donate money to them, or choose how much I'd spend on it, they'd have gotten £1 out of me. That's what it's worth to me. It's an evenings entertainment and then forgotten about in a week. I played the demo, enjoyed what I played but didn't want to pay the £7 it costs to keep playing. At £7 that's way too much, hell that's incredibly close to the amount that World of Warcraft costs for a month! Yes, that's a slippery slope argument, but that's how I justify what I spend my cash on. It's probably how the vast majority of gamers work out what to spend their cash on - "How much does this cost for the amount of time i'm going to be playing it?"

Don't put your game on a torrent site, allow people to access a legit means of buying your game and advertise before handing your games directly to the pirates is all we're going to get from this dumb PR stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    When someone pirates something the extreme likelihood is they never valued the product enough to buy it in the first place.

You lose nothing, you gain publicity and word of mouth.
    Exactly it is one of the reasons at least. Most games I have "tried" were not worth it to me anyways and I wouldn't have bought it. So it was not a lost sale from me. This is an amazing read about piracy also. http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...acy-does.shtml

Deleted
    I don't rly like companies going up in piracy so much and thinking it kill the gaming market..

i'm sure it helps with getting the game out to people who maybe never heard of it and maybe let the company make more money since those who pirated the game will tell it on to others who maybe buy it or they buy it themself..

i have pirated maybe 2 games in my life rest i've bought because i have the money for it and i like to help the companies.. but going on about piracy killing the market is bullshit

it's like saying "We have worked so hard on this game so please don't pirate it so we can make lots of money even though we get enough for what we used on the game and even more"
    Last edited by mmocc06943eaac; 2013-05-02 at 12:44 AM.

Piracy has hit some games where it hurts though. Games like Tomb Raider didn't manage to break even because a lot of people settled for a pirated copy which is really saddening because the game was really good and deserved to be kept afloat.

I'm hoping people will realize this and end up either donating to or going out and purchasing a copy of the game.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-05-02 at 01:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Piracy has hit some games where it hurts though. Games like Tomb Raider didn't manage to break even because a lot of people settled for a pirated copy which is really saddening because the game was really good and deserved to be kept afloat.

I'm hoping people will realize this and end up either donating to or going out and purchasing a copy of the game.
    did u not read anything people have said? there is no evidence that those people who pirate the game would have bought the game. Like people have said if the game was decent it gets positive word of mouth..

Kind of want to buy the game it's just a shame it isn't on steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarz View Post
    stop selling games for 60$ duh stupid gaming companies and no one would even pirate a crappy facebook tycoon game lol so mission failed game dev tycoon...

movies take way more money to make than games do,yet they only cost like 10$ brand new for dvd...game industry is a joke

Wow. You're like, really smart, man.

I bet you could run a very successful game development studio. I bet you'd be rolling in money in no time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSnail View Post
    so many shitty indie games coming out recently. If I was an indie game developer I would be happy that someone plays my game and won't punish peopel for wanting to play my game.
    they're not punishing people. they are punishing thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by zaxlor View Post
    stuff
    You really go out of your way to try and justify your actions.

I'm sure each and every one of us has pirated something in our life time. Take some personal accountability and just admit you did the wrong thing.

It doesn't matter what your perceived value is for something. You still stole it. There's no justification. Just take responsibility for your actions, man. We've all done it, and I'm sure most of us will do it again in some way, shape or form.

I guess its just the times we live in these days. No one takes responsibility for their actions anymore. There's always an excuse. No one can do no wrong anymore.

That's like going to the grocery store and having breakfast in the cereal isle, straight out of the box, because your perceived value of the food is less than what they charge for it.

EDIT: And just for the record, I'm against DRM and realize that anti-piracy measures likely harm a product's sales more than they could hope to help them, but the fact still stands, piracy is piracy. If you're going to do it, don't try to convince yourself that you're not doing something wrong.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 02:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    it's like saying "We have worked so hard on this game so please don't pirate it so we can make lots of money even though we get enough for what we used on the game and even more"
    You don't really understand how business works, do you? The ultimate goal is to maximize profits. Not just make a profit.
    Last edited by Veyne; 2013-05-02 at 02:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post

It's almost like they're a business or something...

I will say this again, it is not pirating if the company uploaded their program to a torrent site to have people download it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought the game, but I honestly wouldn't have known about it had TB, Northernlion, and some other youtubers not talked about the piracy thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    did u not read anything people have said? there is no evidence that those people who pirate the game would have bought the game. Like people have said if the game was decent it gets positive word of mouth..
    I've not seen any evidence to the contrary either. And that's the problem every time the piracy debate comes up on these forums. If there's actually been scientific studies done for either side, I've not see any of them. All I ever see is tons of anecdotal evidence, which isn't worth the pixels it's printed on.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post

Square set unrealistic goals for tomb raider.

It was an okay uncharted clone unworthy of the name Tomb Raider.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Square set unrealistic goals for tomb raider.

It was an okay uncharted clone unworthy of the name Tomb Raider.
    I have to admit this is the case, Square Enix got some extremely solid sales, Tomb Raider did fairly well... for being a ripoff of another game. Which other games said Square thet were struggling? Hitman and Sleeping Dogs... now let's break the issues in those games:

Hitman gameplay (never played it that much before, but it's a thing most reviewers have pointed out) got extremely limited from what the franchise used to be, maps were smaller, thus making the player feeling to be on a dumbed down area, the game isn't bad, but doesn't live up to previous expectations, thus making old fans or people who just liked the game a bit too deterred from the franchise.

Sleeping dogs... m... where to start, the game is definately great, feels fluid, the areas are nicely crowded but the gameplay, the fight system itself didn't catch up for me, like the main selling point of the game was the fighting involved, for me it was just one more game that did offer a nice open world enviroment, thus it made me pick Saints Row over Sleeping Dogs (well, actually sleeping dogs was going to be True Crime Hong Kong)
    Last edited by barackopala; 2013-05-02 at 03:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reddit page seems pretty flawed tbh. Of course 97% of the playerbase have pirated the game when the game has been released for free download (albeit a modified version). It's like asking someone to either buy an item, or take it (or steal it) without any real downsides.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    The reddit page seems pretty flawed tbh. Of course 97% of the playerbase have pirated the game when the game has been released for free download (albeit a modified version). It's like asking someone to either buy an item, or take it (or steal it) without any real downsides.
    The issue here is that you, the shop owner put the product into disposition for the mass to just download the thingy, which ended up being a "demo" and created A FUCK TON of free publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed Massani View Post
    Yes, because making something for smartphones is the same as making something for the PC... Thanks to these guys, if this is the kind of game you enjoy, you no longer have to have a smartphone to do so.

By your logic, Age of Empires deserves to be pirated too because the whole medieval RTS was already done with Warcraft.
    I take your point but you are using a bad example, Warcraft is not really medieval, its fantasy. You don't exactly run around with mages in Age of Empires. The essense of game play is similar, but one is based on a universe that is completely fictional and the other is based on fact.

In this case it's almost a direct clone of a game that was already made, with some graphical enhancements. If they at least tried to be less obvious about it then I could sympathize. They could have made more of an effort to distinguish themselves, I mean the name is one word different. That, in my opinion is pretty poor

Also, just because Blizzard doesnt make Warcraft for PS3,Xbox360,Wii doesn't mean someone else has a right to just go copy the game and do it for them. I'm pretty sure Blizzard would take issue with that
    Last edited by domwindle; 2013-05-02 at 04:21 AM.