Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Penny Arcade Disses CU Fans for Spamming Journalists to cover the Kickstarter

Spam and Kickstarter: how fans of Camelot Unchained made sure the press wouldn’t touch the game

This article is basically a journalist complaining about "harrassment" because he's received too many messages asking for Penny Arcade to cover the game. I guess it goes without saying that we have some very zealous CU kickstarter community members.

The comments section of the kickstarter literally blew up when this article was posted. The guy responsible for setting up the spam messages, Time, left some concerning notes in the comments, and then Mark Jacobs himself asked everyone to quiet down so he could reach out to Time, the creator of the "spam" campaign. He called him on the phone to make sure he was okay, and the community left tons of comments expressing support for Time and his efforts.

The guy is okay, but anyway, whew. What a day, with 45 hours left to go!

CU Kickstarter Comments

That PA Report article seemed rather fair, if you ask me.

The situation simply got out of hand. Here's hoping this doesn't jeopardize the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to far is always a risk when folks start lobbying.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2013-04-30 at 06:37 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

He essentially gave them coverage whilst criticising socially unacceptable behaviour. PA - smarter than your average bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    He essentially gave them coverage whilst criticising socially unacceptable behaviour. PA - smarter than your average bear.
    It's not that he didn't think the game deserved coverage, he (and others) didn't want to validate a spam campaign.

It's a ''damned if you do, damned if you don't'' kind of thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    It's not that he didn't think the game deserved coverage, he (and others) didn't want to validate a spam campaign.
    Indeed.

Though I'm not sure this kind of coverage is really going to affect their kickstarter sales.

This is why news outlets don't cover kickstarters. It degenerates into "SUPPORT MY GAME NOT THIS".

It's like those horrible pre order goals on steam. Dumbasses will harass people into preordering game so they can unlock the free game.

10+ Year Old Account

It's a ''damned if you do, damned if you don't'' kind of thing.
    I wouldn't say damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    So long as they properly ask and not do a spam campaign, it wouldn't be damned if you do. For all we know, news outlets may (or may not) cover the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I wouldn't say damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    So long as they properly ask and not do a spam campaign, it wouldn't be damned if you do. For all we know, news outlets may (or may not) cover the game.
    I was meaning to represent the game journalist's position.

a bit ironic, isn't it? i'm sure PA was contacted from the start, but refused to cover the KS for the entire duration up until a few hours ago. then decides to cover it but only complains about "harassment" as part of a news site. what?

Well that is what I am saying, the article basically has everything you need to know about the kickstarter with a not so subtle "stop emailing me god damnit" message. I can't imagine PA pulling the rug out from anyone unless it is Paul Christoforo.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Well that is what I am saying, the article basically has everything you need to know about the kickstarter with a not so subtle "stop emailing me god damnit" message. I can't imagine PA pulling the rug out from anyone unless it is Paul Christoforo.
    Oh. It appears I took your post as more sarcastic than you intended.

I apologize.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hyl2006 View Post
    a bit ironic, isn't it? i'm sure PA was contacted from the start, but refused to cover the KS for the entire duration up until a few hours ago. then decides to cover it but only complains about "harassment" as part of a news site. what?
    I wouldn't call it cover. Coverage implies the actual detailing of the game. This is just calling out the annoying people.
    If anything this'd be a turn off for potential kickstarter investors as they may not want to be a part of annoying people community.
    I was meaning to represent the game journalist's position.
    Ah okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I wouldn't call it cover. Coverage implies the actual detailing of the game. This is just calling out the annoying people.
    If anything this'd be a turn off for potential kickstarter investors as they may not want to be a part of annoying people community.
    Ah okay.
    Yet they linked to plenty of informative links about the game?
    and "turning off" potential investors doesn't really make much sense, as they would not have been reached anyhow without the efforts of the original "spammers" causing PA to finally cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by hyl2006 View Post
    Has Penny Arcade Report not given them any coverage? I don't follow them so I don't know, but do they cover MMOs? MMOs this early in development? Kickstarters?

There could be any number of reasons for not covering the game.

Has Penny Arcade Report not given them any coverage? I don't follow them so I don't know, but do they cover MMOs? MMOs this early in development? Kickstarters?

There could be any number of reasons for not covering the game.
    they've covered other kickstarters, yes. as for CU, no.

15+ Year Old Account
    PA is free to cover it if they want to, but when someone spams with the information to force them to write about it I would get cross too, and just not. He could have asked once, and if it didn't happen accept it.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Penny Arcade haven't done anything wrong here. If anything, they may have saved CU from it's fans who were unintentionally hurting it's chances of getting funded.

Talk about hurt feelings all you want, but if the Kickstarter failed, the dude who organised the spam would have felt much worse than having it succeed at the last minute because Penny Arcade's coverage at the expense of his dignity.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I respect PA's charity work, but that's about all they do that I can respect these days. Everything else has gone pretty far south, so I'm not surprised that they got snippy instead of just ignoring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    PA is free to cover it if they want to, but when someone spams with the information to force them to write about it I would get cross too, and just not. He could have asked once, and if it didn't happen accept it.
    that's true, and nobody is forcing him to write anything against his will. it's just ironic and hypocritical complaining about gaming fans being enthusiastic about a title, not to mention his smear campaign he conducted against forbes.