Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    I respect what the vodka guys did in the past, but what a load of emotional crap to be honest. There is no reason to assume that the hardcore raider is a dying breed and that it will all eventually collapse into one big massive uniform heap of casualness and LFR enjoyment. They are quitting because they can no longer attract the talent necessary to compete for a top 5 spot, and that is simply because the amount of dedicated top tier raiding guilds has increased due to the increased popularity of certain top guilds, the almost celebrity cultus that has come with the streaming phenomenon, the addition of high profile sponsorship deals and the exposure the cream of the crop is getting from both the player base and WoW media.

A least quit in style instead of predicting the apocalypse of hardcore raiding.
    I agree with you to some extent, but I doubt it has to do with attracting talent. If the core membership wants to stop, the guild disbands typically and that sounds like what is happening here.

They're also right that you essentially have to have no life to raid as a top 10 guild (no, I'm not talking about people who sit on the bench and attend half the time compared to others). However, I don't really think this has ever changed. In Vanilla, it was farming mats for hours. In Mists, it is alts, alt raids, playing the AH to get gold for BMAH gear, etc.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd counter-argue that every rogue is the same now. Hell every class is the same (since all anyone cares about is numbers). They'll play the best theoretical spec.

Deleted
    Reason given for no tri spec might be the most pathetic one ive seen so far

Notice that "Dailies, Coins" are part of the reason hardcore raiding is dying? If you put all this shit in the game (endless dailies/grind/etc.) the hardcore players will feel forced to do it to stay competitive/keep progressing. You put too much grind in the game and even the most hardcore will feel overwhelmed and burned out much less the semi-hardcore players.

There's nothing wrong with putting more content in the game, but I think the coins (extra raid loot rolls) part of dailies should have never existed/should be removed (and loot tables adjusted to drop slightly more to balance it out). There's no reason to artificially inflate content to that extent.

/rant

For the top 10 maybe it stayed the same, I do feel like the time commitment to be in a semi-hardcore guild (I would personally define this as a guild that can consistently complete all content before more is released, but that isn't competing for anything better than realm first) went up at some point. I got about halfway through Naxx at 60 and I never remember having to spend the kind of time I did in WotLK with 4 versions of the same raid and Cata with spamming LFR in guild groups just to keep the rank we had. I stopped last summer so I have no idea what it's like in MoP. The most I had to do outside of just improving my main character normally in BC was to play someone's warlock on M'uru a few times which I didn't even need to know how to play to perfection because I hit two buttons.

In the end, while I think certain game design decisions hastened burnout, it would have happened eventually. The game could be, right now, exactly as it was at what I considered the best time in the game's history, and I'd still end up quitting in the next 6-12 months because I want to do something with my life that isn't compatible with raiding. In the end, all Cata did was make me quit a year and a half earlier than I would have.
    Last edited by rebecca191; 2013-05-01 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    Notice that "Dailies, Coins" are part of the reason hardcore raiding is dying? If you put all this shit in the game (endless dailies/grind/etc.) the hardcore players will feel forced to do it to stay competitive/keep progressing. You put too much grind in the game and even the most hardcore will feel overwhelmed and burned out much less the semi-hardcore players.

There's nothing wrong with putting more content in the game, but I think the coins (extra raid loot rolls) part of dailies should have never existed/should be removed (and loot tables adjusted to drop slightly more to balance it out). There's no reason to artificially inflate content to that extent.

/rant
    Yeah buuhuu, 50 coins a week takes so looong... With the time they put into progression coins shouldnt really be much of a problem, and to add to that, when the race for T14 ended and the tops guys had all the gear they wanted, they could just save up their Lesser coins.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    Reason given for no tri spec might be the most pathetic one ive seen so far
    I couldn't agree more. His assertion is basically tri-spec will allow you to be every spec, thus spec doesn't matter. So untrue. There are only two viable raiding specs for rogues right now, and we have dual specs. What GC describes about everyone being the same should have already happened for rogues, but obviously, it hasn't. There are still people who are "combat rogues" and people who are "mutilate rogues". It's close to impossible to play both at optimal efficiency for, god, tons of reasons! People will always have to pick a "main spec" regardless of how many specs are allowed, and tri-spec does not endanger that principle. If anything, gear and weapon homogenization does.

10+ Year Old Account
    That idiot from Exodus is so full of crap. "Hardcore raiders are a bunch of unique snowflakes far superior to the rest of you other losers, but teehee we're tired of it so we're quitting now, the scene is sooo over."

Get over yourselves, and good riddance.

Deleted
    They quit because they finally realised they'll never be 1st in the race. That's basically the thing he's avoiding to tell but obviously is the reason why.

I doubt that coins and dailies are the reason you can get burnt out since they are so fast to do anyway.

Deleted
    The second artwork is a Balrog according to the artist: http://dark-one-1.deviantart.com/art/Balrog-363487567

So either Blizzard is really shitty at looking up what people's art is from, or they thought "this looks cool" and slapped the Cataclysm logo on it.

/rant
    It is interesting that solo repetitive content grinds used to be considered a hard core activity mostly devoted to the no-lifers and Blizzard had cut down the mindless repetitive solo grinds over the expansions with Cata having the shortest grinds. What made this activity that used to be for the no-lifer hard cores into something for the "casuals"?

If hardcore raiders finding the grind to be too much, then perhaps the reality is that hardcore raiders are not as hardcore as both Blizzard and the community make them out to be and they have lives despite all the blind hatred that many "casuals" preach. From my view point MoP was designed to deal with the players who complained about there being nothing to do in Cata and having a lot of free time. Those with lives got the sort end of the stick while the real no-lifers who hide behind the name of "casuals" are happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobislost View Post
    Finally heirloom shields!! Shame I've got no class to level that needs them now
    Exactly,

All I have is a level 83 pally,

My shaman is 87, warrior 85

Completely no use for them at all, tbh, all heirlooms should of been bought out together, and all upgrades from 80, to 85 at the same time

Edit

and they look shit as well, so no use for mogging

No tripple spec in 5.3 eh blizz? Guess what, my credit card just had a problem approving your subscription.

Why not quadraple spec now that we are at it?, druids got 4 specs so it makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesci View Post
    No tripple spec in 5.3 eh blizz? Guess what, my credit card just had a problem approving your subscription.
    The reasons for unsubbing is just getting funnier and funnier
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    Notice that "Dailies, Coins" are part of the reason hardcore raiding is dying? If you put all this shit in the game (endless dailies/grind/etc.) the hardcore players will feel forced to do it to stay competitive/keep progressing.
    It has always been that way, as Simca mentioned. It might not have been dailies back then, but farming materials for certain mandatory Fire/Shadow res gear/potions/flasks/etc, let alone farming every possible raid/dungeon/MC trash available to gear up 40 people for months in a row.
    I now raid more than I did in Vanilla, except for a short stint during AQ40, and I have a lot more time to do as I please than I had back then, even though time is way scarcer now that I'm older. Raiding in Vanilla at a high level required you to do a lot more outside of raid hours than now. Burning Crusade was no different either.

Top-tier guilds come and go as hardcore raiders come and go. For every Exodus/vodka that quits, there's another one that rises to the challenge. This scene, this progression race, isn't going to implode upon itself anytime soon. These guys need to get over themselves real fast.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-05-01 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldreno View Post
    That idiot from Exodus is so full of crap. "Hardcore raiders are a bunch of unique snowflakes far superior to the rest of you other losers, but teehee we're tired of it so we're quitting now, the scene is sooo over."

Get over yourselves, and good riddance.
    You can stop being jealous now; why not be happy that a few of those players you seem to envy are leaving?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    The reasons for unsubbing is just getting funnier and funnier
    Only adding 2 heirloom shields in 5.3 eh blizz? Guess what, my credit card just had a problem approving your subscription.

No, they're quitting because they are just tired, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by khatsoo View Post
    Only adding 2 heirloom shields in 5.3 eh blizz? Guess what, my credit card just had a problem approving your subscription.
    What heirloom shield with parry omg! Guess what, my credit card just had a problem approving your subscription.