ret pally. haste>crit>mastery or haste>mastery>crit

as title says, i'm just curious on what the general concensus is on the subject. i'm relatively new to pally and hit 90 short time ago. the guild states that both crit and mastery are equal, however i find plenty of mixed sources.

sorry if this is a subject that has been over done as if beat a dead horse with another dead horse.

I'm not 100% sure as most people say Mastery > Crit, but everytime I sim it on mine (both last tier and this) Crit was ahead by .10-.30 per 1 crit.

But, the reason I think most choose Mastery over Crit is mastery is more "sustained" and guaranteed damage and once you get T15 2pc (and 4pc) mastery does more damage with the set bonuses. Crit is very RNG and won't always be a static increase. From what I've tested I have about 10% base crit and then the 10% crit from Inquisition feels about right.

Mastery > Crit. Crit sims above mastery, but it isn't correct. On a fight with any sort of AoE, mastery will shoot up in value. It's also more reliable.

thank you, for your responces. definitly helped my decision.

mastery also scales better with damage increases, like the pools on jin'rokh, because it double dips on the increase. It increases i.e.: Crusader Strike itself, which makes mastery higher in turn, and then it increases that increased mastery damage also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forsure Mastery>Crit

Generally, what is admitted :
    Mastery > Crit for PVE
    Crit > Mastery for PVP

I always thought the general idea was that Mastery > crit because you gain a lot of crit passively simply by keeping your self Buff up.

Quote Originally Posted by Revvo View Post
    Mastery > Crit. Crit sims above mastery, but it isn't correct. On a fight with any sort of AoE, mastery will shoot up in value. It's also more reliable.
    Find this point interesting as at some points I get Crit > Mastery also.

Do you have a source for this claim that the sims are incorrect? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I always thought the general idea was that Mastery > crit because you gain a lot of crit passively simply by keeping your self Buff up.
    this is probably what makes crit the worst stat. it's not that it's bad at all, haste and mastery will just scale better.

In PVP, your heals benefit from crit too, and staying on your target constantly is less evident, I guess that's why crit is better ?

Quote Originally Posted by Strear View Post
    In PVP, your heals benefit from crit too, and staying on your target constantly is less evident, I guess that's why crit is better ?
    Retribution in PvP is basically "wait until the target is under 40% life and the healer is somewhere else, and then nuke the shit out of it before your buffs are purged or you get CC'd". Crit is a burst stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Retribution in PvP is basically "wait until the target is under 40% life and the healer is somewhere else, and then nuke the shit out of it before your buffs are purged or you get CC'd". Crit is a burst stat.
    err no it's mainly preferred for the healing. it was same in cata where mastery was the best secondary stat and you still went for crit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    err no it's mainly preferred for the healing. it was same in cata where mastery was the best secondary stat and you still went for crit.
    Mainly because the third secondary stat, haste, was a wasted stat.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRaven View Post
    Mainly because the third secondary stat, haste, was a wasted stat.
    if crit was still taken over mastery I don't get what you mean

Str > Haste > Crit=Mastery

Reforging all Mastery to Crit, reforging all Crit to Mastery, or reforging to equally balance Crit and Mastery seem to produce reasonably similar results

15+ Year Old Account
    The reason that Crit = Mastery in theory is because they are close in value on paper, and can sim one way or another with a gear.

However in practice, results would provide otherwise, and the value of each stat changes in a more "drastic" manner.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Deleted
    I propose that, in the "READ BEFORE POSTING" or Ret Guide threads to be also included some basic or "universal" truths like this one. Not that people read or anything..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    mastery also scales better with damage increases, like the pools on jin'rokh, because it double dips on the increase. It increases i.e.: Crusader Strike itself, which makes mastery higher in turn, and then it increases that increased mastery damage also.
    can you provide combat log lines that prove this? I remember that blizzard disabled mastery scaling with % all damage buffs, like the 3% damage buff, back in Cata because they didn't want adverse effects from double dipping. it still scales with Inq and the 5% magic damage buff, but as far as I know, it doesn't scale with flat damage increases.