Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New to LoL LF advice.

Yeah, iv'e been playing for a few days and I was wondering what champion is the easiest to learn/use imost scenarios. I've been using Ashe because she's free(not a big fan) i was also able to use kharma(think thats how it's spelled) with my friend as zac, i support him. But yeah I just want to know what would be a good starter champion.

Play all of the free champions and pick your favorite. Trust me getting something you enjoy is more important then something easy. Practice last hitting, it is so important and it is something you need to know how to do in order to get good. Also don't be afraid to take risks. It is okay to do something a bit crazy and die as long as you learn from it, never be scared of getting called a noob or something similar that always happens. If you want to support I'd suggest reading guides though it is harder to get good at then laning and there is a little more to it. Apart from that check out the guides at Team solo mid and Lolpro websites. Team solo mids do the best champion guides while Lolpro the best guides on general game play.

Easiest with best results is probably Garen

ne porvivajo nur mortigi tempo

10+ Year Old Account
    The 450 IP champs are all good for starters and will teach u several roles

Deleted
    If you are also looking for more advice, feel free to post it either here or read the thread titled "Trying out this game...", which you will find on the first page of this subforum (can't post the link yet).

The 450 champs are good for new players. They are often not that hard to play and not a big investment. Some of them can even be seen in the competitive scene, just so you know that cheap does not equal bad.

Try the free champs each week (it resets on tuesdays) to see what champion you might like.

For now you should propably just go by what you like, later you will learn what champion can fill different roles which might help you in your decision.

If you have the time you can also skip through the "What champion should I buy"-thread to see what champions get recommended for certain roles.

Sometimes an expensive champion can be worth the points though, if you really like it. For me Zyra was this champion, but it all comes down to personal taste.
    Maybe if you state what you like or dislike in certain champions, you can get better recommendations.
    For example what you dislike about Ashe and like/dislike about Karma.
    Last edited by mmoc57f2e09b5b; 2013-04-22 at 07:51 PM.

Try as many free champs as you can and it will allow you to see the roles and play styles. It takes awhile to find the right champion but with a little time it will happen. Also if you dont know, this site will help to get started. It will help a lot to learn builds, general strats etc. Its not the be all end all, but is pretty good to help get people started.

http://www.mobafire.com/
    Last edited by Gsara; 2013-04-22 at 07:56 PM.

Deleted
    As for a site that you can look up guides for different champions, I'd recommend lolpro.com or solomid.net rather than mobafire, sometimes the mobafire guides are....not that great. Besides that, just play the game and you will figure out the basics rather quickly. For general advice afterwards, you can join different channels to find people to play with (not sure how they are called on US-side), the League of Legends thread is a great place to ask general questions, or head over to the What champion should I buy thread if you are asking for advice regarding champions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really a fan of mobafire. There have been/maybe still are some quality guides on it (comprehensive karma guide back when it was still updated, I haven't checked to see if it was updated for the new changes, but I kind of doubt it) but overall the guides are usually fairly low quality.

LoLpro and solomid both offer good guides that will point you in the right way.

OT: As for a starting champion to play, what role do you want to play? Without knowing that answer i'll just list a few champions that I would consider beginner friendly.

Ryze, Annie, Caitlyn, Darius, Garen, Jax, Singed and say Xin'zhao or something. They are pretty simple champions that are good for learning on.

Deleted
    Try all 10 free champions out each week and find the ones you like. If you like a particular style, but it's too expensive, you can ask here what's a similar champ, in the "what champ should I buy next" thread, and people will find you the ones with a similar type/feel/role

Next weeks freebies priced from low to high are Mundo, Veigar, Fiddlesticks, Rammus, Shen, Xin Zhao, Twitch, Miss Fortune, Zed, Thresh

Of those I personally would favour Xin Zhao as quite simple, fun, yet effective.

Deleted
    Here, maybe something you might find interesting. It does not reall answer the question about the most effektive champion, but covers a lot of other things.

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=21513

I recommend the site solomid.net over the site mobafire in almost all terms. Just have a read once in a while when you try out champions. It really helps you to develope an understanding of the game and your role in the different phases of the game and on the different lanes you can go.

When you have read and digested the posted link you will know more than 99% of the players at your level (asuming lvl 1-10).

Can't stress how important it is to learn how to last hit early on. I've been playing a while and sometimes my last hitting can be awful.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Can't stress how important it is to learn how to last hit early on. I've been playing a while and sometimes my last hitting can be awful.
    Kinda depends on which role you are going to play, like if you play support most last hitting is not that important, I'd say that kind of goes for most mid characters I play.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    I suck horribly at last hitting. :<

I'd actually suggest Kayle as a starter champion. She's only 450, so not a huge investment. Most of the time she sees play as top, but I've seen her basically do everything--support, mid, jungle, and even carry. Kayle in an older champion so her role isn't as well defined as many of the newer ones.

Her Q is a snare and damage power, her W is a movement speed and heal (great for running away or chasing, just set it to a self cast hotkey), her E is pretty odd...it makes her attacks aoe splash damage and gives her decent range, and her R makes the target take no damage for a few seconds. Her passive lets you ignore a percent of the enemies defenses, so it is just free damage.

So in the top or mid, you can focus your E and farm minions. That's great for the jungle too, plus your snare and speed helps you get around and gank other lanes. As a support, your heal can be used with your snare to set up kills for your carry. Finally, in any case, your ult is always a power house in a team fight. You make the other team scramble while you make one of your teammates or yourself take no damage...basically you lengthen the life of your firepower as a team by eliminating their focus target.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isrozzis View Post
    I'm not really a fan of mobafire. There have been/maybe still are some quality guides on it (comprehensive karma guide back when it was still updated, I haven't checked to see if it was updated for the new changes, but I kind of doubt it) but overall the guides are usually fairly low quality.
    There are some pretty good mobafire guides; there was one for sona in particular that was very descriptive in her roles, abilities, supporting tips, items and when to pick which support items depending on the situation. It seems more based on the people who write the guides, and I've found myself developing a few favorites in that sense. At the least, I think mobafire is a bit more comprehensive for new people. Just my opinion, though.

As for the OP, a lot of the older champions, since their sets are more basic. Outside of free champs, who you want to use thoroughly each week so that at the least you can know the skill sets of the champions you're facing, there are a few that are pretty straightforward to learn per lane:

Mid: Morgana or Lux. Morgana is just... a solid champion. From the lowest to highest brackets of LoL, she can deal a nasty amount of damage, her farm is ridiculously easy after you hit level 5, and her survivability is one of the best in the game. You'll be able to make simple mistakes while playing her without getting rolled over, and you'll be able to grasp the mechanics of the game while having an easy time farming. As for Lux, I would suggest her as the next step after Morgana. You are required when you use her to know how to skill shot, since every one of her abilities uses that mechanic.. but at the same time, it isn't like Morgana where if you miss a skillshot you're probably screwed. you have two mainline attack spells, your shield, and your ult to practice with, and even if there are a lot of small tricks that you can do to perfect Lux, at the least by learning her rudimentary abilities you're setting yourself up to land your skillshots with any other champ in the game (except diana. Stupid curvy diana).

Support: Taric. He's almost mindlessly straightforward; heal when its up, stun when your adc goes in or someone does something that needs stopped, spam some abilities when you go in. He's tanky enough that you're generally safe wandering away from your adc a bit to ward, and you can make mistakes and take some punishment without dying. His skillset is simple enough that you'll be able to get the basics of warding and supporting down while you play him.

ADC: Ashe, Varus. Ashe is probably the most straightforward of the adcs. She takes some practice because she's so squishy, but her mechanics are clearly laid out and easy to follow. Landing her ult is tricky, but it's a matter of deciding if you want it for defense or offense, and if using it against that player on the other side of the map is worth risking not having it up for something at hand. Ult aside, though, she's easy to pick up. Varus is a bit tricky, but his mechanics are overall quite simple: two skillshots, and an aoe damage/slow. He's a bit more aggressive, but if you're having trouble with Ashe dying too easily and not dishing out enough early game (she's a farming champ for the most part, and that passive playstyle is actually hard to get down), he's a good second alternative for just starting out as adc.

Top: Jax, Yi. Very straightforward champions, they don't have complicated mechanics that they have to work around, and from an early game perspective you can feel confident in just building a guide-sourced item build without it blowing up on you. They also have good gap closers which means you'll have a soft curve to avoid being kited and being able to initiate easily, as well as having rather good defense mechanisms for staying alive.

Jungler: Warwick. I absolutely suggest this as your first jungler, because he is pretty much the most rudimentary and basic jungler there is. He has survivability, he has a very strong gank once he hits 6, and his set is very easy to learn. Use him to understand how jungling works, and then from there go into the more complicated champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Kinda depends on which role you are going to play, like if you play support most last hitting is not that important, I'd say that kind of goes for most mid characters I play.
    What? How do you get CS if you don't last hit without pushing the lane as mid?

The only 2 roles that don't last hit are junglers and supports.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Revolutions

BATTLEMASTER (After 3.3.5 nerf) REVOLUTIONS REPORTING IN.
    Wielder of The Scepter of Shifting Sands, Hand of Ragnaros, and Shadowmourne. Bringer of 66 minute kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutions View Post

Well, depending on which mids you play; there are a few champions who don't need to care about last hitting *to an extent*. AP yi, morgana, heimerdinger, mordekeiser, katarina, Malzahar.. mostly the ones that don't have mana to worry about or don't have to worry about pushing their lanes if they're smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutions View Post

Well a lot of mid characters can use their abilities to last hit and you don't have to wait until the Creep is at super low health to do it, so its vastly different than the kind of last hitting you do on an ADC.

For example: I would not call it last hitting how you get CS with Ryze because you can usually 'q' a creep at half or more health and that ability is on a like 2 sec CD.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2013-04-25 at 06:11 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Farolok View Post
    Easiest with best results is probably Garen
    i completely agree. i started on garen, and moved on to more stronger champions. i still play him for lulz from time to time.

i'd say garen or nunu are good starters. ryze is also an incredibly easy champion to start playing. i'd say that most of the free champions are pretty good starters. though i can feel you on ashe. i hate playing champions with so little utility and escape mechanisms.

10+ Year Old Account
    trolling the enemy team with my shaco juke
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue The Shaman View Post
    Yeah, iv'e been playing for a few days and I was wondering what champion is the easiest to learn/use imost scenarios. I've been using Ashe because she's free(not a big fan) i was also able to use kharma(think thats how it's spelled) with my friend as zac, i support him. But yeah I just want to know what would be a good starter champion.
    If your playing on EU West hit me up with a friends invite ( iilil ) and i can talk with you give you some pointers