Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What grinds your gears?

You know what grinds my gears? Article-based websites that ask you to pay money to read them. I'm not talking about online newspapers, I'm talking about otherwise free sites that require you to pay money to read certain articles. I'm looking at you ESPN. A quadrillion dollars from being owned by Disney not enough for you? You know, I'd be ok with it if you didn't tease me. You link the article, and offer up a couple paragraphs or the first couple in a list for free. Then you ask me to pay to read the rest of it? It's like going to a a strip club. It's just a massive tease, except they want your money. So, it's more like a prostitute who only strips for you. Other websites that pay their writers don't ask for money. Cracked has never asked for my money, and they're a self-run website that doesn't get all their money from the biggest company on the planet. Why do you feel the need to charge me to read words?

You know what grinds my gears? While we're on the topic of the internet, how about websites or web-based programs that can't bother to fix themselves? I'm not talking about some random site that a random guy bought, I'm talking about well-known sites that can't bother to fix their shit. Spotify has had a MAJOR bug in their program for well over a year, and can't bother to fix it. Not only that, they denied the bug existed for about half that time, then claimed recently that they fixed it, when they didn't. And it's not like these people are some no-names who don't have any kind of technological experience. This is one of the biggest radio programs on the planet. Like Disney. Can't be bothered to fix your shit? I understand bugs are bugs and sometimes they're hard to fix. But it's been too long, and you claimed to fix it when you didn't. Why do you expect people to give you money?
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-05-02 at 02:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who are intolerant of other peoples' cultures.

And the Dutch.

(movie quote, no infractions please!)

But what really grinds my gears? Intentional stupidity. I can forgive normal stupidity, because well ... some people don't know their head from their ass. Intentional stupidity though, fuck off.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing like trying to discuss a topic with someone who does not want to discuss anything at all, but strongly insists on appearing to be discussing something for the sake of feeling like they have not "lost" the argument.

People who say "Grow Up" frequently. Especially to children. Kids are supposed to be stupid and have trouble dealing with emotions that they don't understand. You know what happens when a kid acts like an adult, because of what seems to be a correlation between expression of frustration and immaturity just being socially unacceptable?

They grow up to be an adult that acts like a child because they never learned how to deal with those emotions. Now ya dun gone and fucked up!

It's also very ironic, because believing you can verbally bludgeon someone into a person that you will like denotes your lack of life experience. Which is personally what I attribute to the definition of "Immaturity", though it's definition seems to be very broad and subjective nowadays.

People who do things like argue semantics when a statement was conveyed explicitly. I want to do terrible, terrible things to these people.

10+ Year Old Account
    What grinds my gears? Poor timing on the clutch. Also ignorant people.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-05-02 at 02:51 AM.

Deleted
    When you get up at 6am
    Travel 1.5 hour to school
    Sit down and wait for the teacher to arrive
    Get a mail 20 min later from the teacher which says she won't be comming because she is sick
    Sit around for hours doing nothing because you can't make it back home and back to school again before the next lesson starts.

Edite: Oh and jelly fishes, I don't like 'em one bit.
    Last edited by mmoca9bf05c4ed; 2013-05-01 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    2# Those little rocks that randomly pops up and cracks your front mirror.
    Even if you drive like a granny still that big truck drives by and the miniscule pebble fucks your mirror...
    People that drive like shit because they are trying to drive with a huge mirror in front of them. For fucks sake vain enough? How about a standard Windshield?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarFalcon1 View Post
    People that drive like shit because they are trying to drive with a huge mirror in front of them. For fucks sake vain enough? How about a standard Windshield?
    Nice try kid come back when you actually have a license.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. People who drive under the speed limit
    2. Slow people in the fast lane. There's a reason it's called "the fast lane" It's not there for you to do 50mph in a 65mph zone.
    3. Congress. Fuck those guys
    4. Fox News and MSNBC, look I know objectivity is actually difficult but either start trying or stop pretending
    5. Creationists. Your view is not scientific, stop demanding that it be treated so without putting forth the required evidence.
    6. Evangelists. No I don't want your god, the way I live my life is none of your business.
    7. The word medieval. I can never remember where that damn "I" goes.
    8. "Sorry, you need 4 years experience to work at this entry level 'any-shithead-can-do-it' job."
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    The phrase "rustle your jimmies" and I don't know why!

Also, stupid people, angry people, loud people, slow people, fast people, smart people, old people, young people... I guess just people in general really grind my gears.

Also, not getting my "gear" "ground" really grinds my gears!

people that ask what grinds my gears =D

10+ Year Old Account
    A reminder that forums rules still apply here. Things like religion are still forbidden topics and should not be discussed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    People who are intolerant of other peoples' cultures.

And the Dutch.

(movie quote, no infractions please!)

But what really grinds my gears? Intentional stupidity. I can forgive normal stupidity, because well ... some people don't know their head from their ass. Intentional stupidity though, fuck off.
    What's wrong with the Dutch?

Quote Originally Posted by jahasafrat View Post
    What grinds my gears? Poor timing on the clutch. Also ignorant people.
    Lack of oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Louradical View Post
    Lack of oil?
    Louradical how come it shows you have 0 posts....after you just made a post? Are you hacking the website?

I would put my list under 3 categories Family, Work and Driving:

Family
    - If you have an event please let me know ahead of time and not the day or two beforehand. Or worse after the event has started.
    - I don't mind the occasional babysitting but sometimes it feels like the kids/dogs should just live with me full time.
    - Bday/Christmas - In between the sheer number of parties and trying to get gifts all due to the large amount of family members it has stopped being fun. Especially when you have to drive 90 minutes each way!

Traffic
    - Slow drivers aka people doing 60 in a 80 zone.
    - People who can't drive properly. I swear they paid someone off to get their license.

Work
    - Workers who ask me about things that are not my department
    - Workers who get me to do stuff because they are too lazy to do it themselves.
    - Workers who don't know what the fuck they are doing so they come to me to help them with it.
    - People who don't get back to me in a reasonable amount of time.
    - Boss who doesn't want to hire more people even though we need them
    - Boss who doesn't want to build an addition even though we are running out of space
    - People who argue with me about everything but the core issue.
    - Customers who don't know what they are doing so they go bankrupt.

I'm sure there are many more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    Louradical how come it shows you have 0 posts....after you just made a post? Are you hacking the website?
    Posts in Fun Stuff don't go towards your post count.

Carry on with the gear grinding!
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    What's wrong with the Dutch?
    Movie quote... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    A reminder that forums rules still apply here. Things like religion are still forbidden topics and should not be discussed.
    The rule that bans religion and other forbidden topics from being discussed. I get that sometimes the discussions get heated, but no one is ever going to get anywhere with their opinions on the matter if we're never allowed to share them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

People who are uptight about how long I take to return their calls. I missed a call once while I was in the shower (from a customer, after hours, about something that wasn't even an emergency). There was probably 15-20 minutes total from the time the call happened to the time I got back to my phone and noticed it. By then, I had 2 voice mails from the customer, a text message from the customer, an email from the customer, and a voice message/text from my boss (because they apparently called him when they couldn't get me). Apparently, 15 minutes is "excessively long" for a response time, and I'm also supposed to have my phone on me 24/7 including when I'm in the shower. Above scenario is one example but is something that happens to me pretty frequently.

Also work isn't the only place that happens. I've occasionally had friends ask "are you mad at me or something?" when they don't get an immediate response to a text message.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-05-03 at 01:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The frequent use of the word "then" when it's actually supposed to be "than" and vice versa, don't do it, you have no idea how thick other people think you are to the point if I'm reading a post by someone and I spot it, I'll stop reading it.

"I'm better THEN you" .... <-- see what I mean?
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    People who are uptight about how long I take to return their calls. I missed a call once while I was in the shower (from a customer, after hours, about something that wasn't even an emergency). There was probably 15-20 minutes total from the time the call happened to the time I got back to my phone and noticed it. By then, I had 2 voice mails from the customer, a text message from the customer, an email from the customer, and a voice message/text from my boss (because they apparently called him when they couldn't get me). Apparently, 15 minutes is "excessively long" for a response time, and I'm also supposed to have my phone on me 24/7 including when I'm in the shower. Above scenario is one example but is something that happens to me pretty frequently.

Also work isn't the only place that happens. I've occasionally had friends ask "are you mad at me or something?" when they don't get an immediate response to a text message.
    That happened to me today. We have multiple locations so we use Skype to message each other. One girl message another girl and didn't get a response so she messaged me to go find the girl so she deal with the message. The message was far from urgent and the girl was only gone for 10 minutes. Hopefully, I will see her in a month so I can smack her upside the head.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 11:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Posts in Fun Stuff don't go towards your post count.

Carry on with the gear grinding!
    You learn something new everyday.