Deleted

why are so few threads locked instead of merged?

This is more of a general moderation comment than a problem with speficic decisions, moderators or users. Whenever someone posts a funny image or a funny video in a forum, or makes a thread that's realy close to another already existing thread, instead of merging the thread with the appropriate megathread, it gets locked. is it really that much easier to lock a thread than to merge it with the existing thread? or are there other reasons for this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Couple reasons, depending on the particular thread:

Merging can make the threads annoying to follow if both have existing "conversations" that are now broken up by inserting a bunch of "new" posts between each other. It gets more obnoxious the longer the newer thread is. It's usually simpler and cleaner for readers if the content is just reposted in the original thread. This mainly applies to things like video threads.

If it's closed because it's a redundant topic, then there's really no need to merge or repost, since a lot of what is being discussed in Hypothetical Thread B is already in Hypothetical Thread A anyway and people can just bounce over there and consolidate discussion.

TL;DR usually easier for readers because it keeps the threads "cleaner."

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    For VGD (for me at least).
    I tend to lock it if it's redundant and has too many posts, so merging it would cause some confusion.

Else I'd usually just merge.

Deleted
    Well, one of the reasons I asked was because a thread in the Shaman forums about transmog sets was locked instead of merged with the transmog thread. and often, threads that are basically a funny image or video are locked instead of merged with the funny image/video megathread. it's stuff like that i'm talking about.

It's really at the discretion of individual mods to decide. We generally prefer to lock threads instead of merging for the reasons listed above, but there are exceptions. The best thing to do is just toss the mod who closed the thread a pm and ask (nicely) why they locked it instead of merged the thread. Sometimes there are reasons that aren't readily apparent and sometimes it's just as simple as the mod was busy and just did it quickly without really thinking about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another big reason also is that a locked thread communicates with the OP and thread participants where the discussion should take place. If you just merge it, sometimes people don't notice and think their thread disapeared and repost it.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    thanks for the explanation about this topic. I assumed that the mod just did what he felt like doing, but now that you explained what the reasons are to lock or to merge, I have a deeper understanding for the decisions you make. apparently, moderation isn't that easy...