Page 1 of 2
LastLast

shadow priest open fight

I want to know what is the best way to start a fight which spell I have to start to maximize my dps from the start i want to know the best open fight burst the best rotation at start. thx guys

I haven't played since 06-03/2013, but when I played I had this opener on most fights:
    Pot > VT > MB > Sfiend > 90Talent > SW:P > Flay which worked good for me.
    I've seen multiple people using Pot > MB > 90 Talent > SW:P > VT > Sfiend/Mindbender > Flay, though
    I'm a kittycat

Deleted
    Best opener is to not use DP on the final trash pull and save 3 orbs for the boss, then:

fade-pot-VT-SWP-DP-MB-MIF-MIF-SF-MB-lvl90-etc

With 0 orbs I:

fade-pot-MB-SWP-VT-SF-lvl90-MF-MB-etc
    Last edited by mmoce6cdec159e; 2013-05-04 at 02:50 AM.

MB and shadow orb generation are the most important thing. Always open with MB, unless you have 3 orbs already, in which case open with DP => MB (then MFI if you took that, or SWP => VT if not).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    I haven't played since 06-03/2013, but when I played I had this opener on most fights:
    Pot > VT > MB > Sfiend > 90Talent > SW:P > Flay which worked good for me.
    I've seen multiple people using Pot > MB > 90 Talent > SW:P > VT > Sfiend/Mindbender > Flay, though
    Hi, am relatively new to SP.
    I've been doing the Fade>Pot>MB>90 Talent>Apply Dots .. and then I am kind of confused. Obviously you want to pop your 3min CD's early and often so you'd prefer to pop them here. If you have 2+ Orbs when the fight is starting, that seems easy enough as you can couple it with a Mindflay:Insanity. However, often I'm left with 0-1 orbs and I have been waiting to berserk+fiend+powerinfuse for that 3rd orb/DP/Insanity. Am I waiting too long?

Pot > MB > 90 Talent > SW:P > VT > Fiend> Flay

10+ Year Old Account
    SW:P should be applied before VT. Because I have BotH and LotC currently I've been using this:

Fade -> Potion of the Jade Serpent -> MB [the Boss is Pulled as MB lands] -> SW:P -> VT -> Shadowfiend -> Halo/Cascade/Divine Star

Without trinkets that proc on periodic damage I would still use:

Fade -> Potion of the Jade Serpent -> MB [the Boss is Pulled as MB lands] -> Halo/Cascade/Divine Star -> SW:P -> VT -> Shadowfiend

For fights where I start with SOx3 (such as Heroic Tortos):

Fade -> Potion of the Jade Serpent -> Halo/Cascade/Divine Star [the Boss is Pulled as the T90 talent hits] -> Shadowfiend -> SW:P -> VT -> DPx3 -> MB -> MF:I
    Last edited by Frmercury; 2013-05-04 at 06:58 AM.

Deleted
    I have to ask, why does everyone suggest to delay the use of Shadowfiend?

Usually I go with Potion > Pop all CDs (Berserking/Shadowfiend/Power Infusion) > Mind Blast > Halo > SW:P > VP

Which works pretty well for me.

Delaying Shadowfiend is only a DPS loss when the boss dies while Shadowfiend is up, and not delaying Shadowfiend would have resulted in more uptime. In any other scenario, delaying it increases your DPS by allowing you to get fractionally more MBs off.

Of course, this is irrelevant if you are using the Sha touched staff/mace, which takes Shadowfiend off the GCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Markize View Post
    I have to ask, why does everyone suggest to delay the use of Shadowfiend?

Usually I go with Potion > Pop all CDs (Berserking/Shadowfiend/Power Infusion) > Mind Blast > Halo > SW:P > VP

Which works pretty well for me.
    u only have 2 delay it a lil bit at the pull since he insta blink and strikes the enemy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dmfg View Post
    Delaying Shadowfiend is only a DPS loss when the boss dies while Shadowfiend is up, and not delaying Shadowfiend would have resulted in more uptime. In any other scenario, delaying it increases your DPS by allowing you to get fractionally more MBs off.
    ^ This. In general you want to find a decent 'break' in your rotation to cast Shadowfiend and T90 talents. At least for Halo and Shadowfiend you're very unlikely to see a +-1 use if you delay be ~5 seconds every time so waiting for a time when you're not casting a SO generator, DPx3 or MF:I is optimal.

Deleted
    You also want to delay fiend until you have given all your random procs a chance to be up.

I think Shadowfiend now dynamically updates with your procs?

Can someone explain why they do SWP before VT? Over VT then SWP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supersnap View Post
    Can someone explain why they do SWP before VT? Over VT then SWP
    Mainly because sw deals more damage. Only time I could see you cast vt before sw during the opener is if you already have 3 orbs since you could start that cast before the pull, resulting in something like vt (hits as the boss is pulled)->dp->mb, but even then I'd suspect that woadens suggestion #3 is superior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadowfiend now dynamically updates with your procs
    Absolutely

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Shadowfiend now dynamically updates with your procs?
    I read it doesn't up with lust, but with everything else. Is this outdated?

Are you suppose to refresh dots before berserking wears off? I feel like sometimes I can rarely sneak in a SW:P but not both. So I go opener -> dadada -> berserk/PI -> DP/insanity spam -> usually try to mindblast as soon as DP is over then usually out of time to refresh dots within berserking.
    Last edited by Bombino; 2013-05-07 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    I read it doesn't up with lust, but with everything else. Is this outdated?
    You have to cast Shadowfiend AFTER Lust:

"Blizzard added in protection to keep them from double-dipping on this buff. Shadowfiends that are cast BEFORE Heroism will reset to their base swing timer for their duration, but when cast AFTER will update benefit from the increase in Haste."

http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php...=1701#rotation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerbz View Post
    You have to cast Shadowfiend AFTER Lust:

"Blizzard added in protection to keep them from double-dipping on this buff. Shadowfiends that are cast BEFORE Heroism will reset to their base swing timer for their duration, but when cast AFTER will update benefit from the increase in Haste."

http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php...=1701#rotation
    yea just clarifying the other guy. Any chance you could help w my 2nd question?