Poll: Molten bosses; yay or nay?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Have you killed the Molten bosses? Were they fun?

Hellooo all, as topic. I'm talking about the recently added Molten Facility dungeon.

I've done it a few times now, sometimes successfully others not; it seems some players have a hard time grasping the mechanics even after I explain what to do. I did it with a group of my old WoW guildmates from our recent disband and conversion to GW2 and some of them commented it was one of the most fun boss-fights they've ever done. It was their first dungeon experience in this game being ~ level 20-28 (hooray for upscaling)

I realise "fun" can mean different things to different people so instead of specifying exactly what my guildies said they enjoyed, just answer and you can add your own reasons in a comment. Did you like it because it was hard, it was fun because it has interesting mechanics? You didn't like it because it was too easy, you haven't killed it but it was fun anyway and you hope to get it down soon. Whatever!

For myself I found them enjoyable; there's a lot to do and it really feels like a well put together fight. I never found myself getting 1shot and not knowing why. Every time I was downed it was my own fault and playing as a team felt fairly important (keeping the Berserker away from downed players if he's on you etc so others could revive)
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2013-05-02 at 03:43 AM.

The fight was very WoW like in that it was as much a dance as it was killing the boss. I liked it a lot though.

The fights are good. Maybe it just feels new, but something about these encounters felt right. They were forgiving enough that a mistake or two wouldnt immediately end you, but at the same time you were constantly in real danger. Movement was required and the boss abilities were pretty cool, especially the one that involved jumping =) Overall I greatly enjoyed the fights.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I haven't killed them and don't enjoy the encounter" -> care to explain the logic here? like if somebody "studied" or learnt the encounter just to not do it D:?

In my case I loved the encounter, I felt it was well designed with the preset idea that we don't have a trinity, the battle was fairly active and avoided the so hated oneshot mechanics that have been in the first dungeons a-net designed, this is definately a step forward in terms of their PvE quality content, I'm happy with what ANet can achieve in future patches and future content, they are learning... the learning process will always be, remember the old Vanilla WoW days? C'thun unkillable state pre-patch and stuff? the Cataclysm uproar over the Druid-Nefarian encounter? well everyone learns lessons, the important fact in the MMO Genre is how fast you learn from them and how are you fixing them.

THE ONLY THING I DISLIKED ABOUT MOST OF THE ENCOUNTERS WAS JUMPING, TONS AND TONS OF JUMPING, Don't get me wrong, I love jumping puzzles but it's fucking impossible to use grenades with my engineer (the only viable damaging tool) while jumping, having to smash 2-3-5-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 while moving while jumping and avoiding was a bit tedious, I can't blame the encounter itself, I should be blaming the engineer spells and my skill too but it felt fairly uncomfortable.
    Last edited by barackopala; 2013-05-02 at 04:34 AM.

Where is the "I haven't done the dungeon yet" choice?

10+ Year Old Account
    The first boss that has all the weapons/aoe was actually really fun. I didn't care for the last boss, because it was basically just run around in circles and kite. The dungeon itself had way too many mobs too.

It was pretty fun (finally finishing after several groups fell apart) and I enjoyed the few runs I did. The boss ability RNG can be a bit frustrating though. Nothing worse than getting trapped in a small safe area surrounded by fire aoe then jumped by the berserker and mashed into the ground.. fun times!

I have to agree that there is way too much in terms of trash. Is silly how many packs there are (and the aggro range is crazy), only perk to that is after 1 run my Veteran Killer achievement for the month was 75% done

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    "I haven't killed them and don't enjoy the encounter" -> care to explain the logic here? like if somebody "studied" or learnt the encounter just to not do it D:?
    You can enjoy the process of learning and aspiring to kill it even if you haven't yet killed it, you might say "I can't wait to get back in and kill it" or you might end up saying "F this I hate it".

Take WoW before I quit; I enjoyed progressing on Horridon Heroic, it was a fun encounter but I didn't manage to clear it. Same thing :P

I didn't really have a problem with the level of trash. Perhaps it's because I have been playing Throne of Thunder raid in wow recently which has a lot of trash.

For me it was just so much nicer knowing that the group was going to stand and kill the mobs rather than have to guess whether we were going to attempt some kind of sprint through 10 packs to hide in a corner and hope they rebound back to the start. I just hate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    The first boss that has all the weapons/aoe was actually really fun. I didn't care for the last boss, because it was basically just run around in circles and kite. The dungeon itself had way too many mobs too.
    It has more or less the same amount as all the other dungeons.

I did this dungeon 7 times so far and if you get bad players you will struggle on them but if you are with a good team then it's fairly easy as you don't have to ressurect people as often.
    Was quite surprised by the letters we found it was a very cool idea that gave some insight on the lore parts of Living Story.

15+ Year Old Account
    First two times we're fine, the third time for some reason no one else in the entire party could grasp the concepts of jumping and moving. Then the leader got frustrated and quit group, but apparently if you do that we all also got sent out of the instance. So the past 40 minutes were gone.

The bosses are fun, and they did a good job of incorporating two unique bosses into one fight, especially the empowerment thing after you finish one. The guy said on reddit he liked the idea from Dark Souls and wanted to implement it into a boss fight, I'd say he did a pretty fine job.

I really liked the final boss. It reminded me of Ornstein and Smough from Dark Souls, and that made me grin a little bit when the first started. It was a nice challenge! I just wish it wasn't temporary.

Is there any sort of title associated with all of this?

If there is I might have to slog through the dungeon. I just hate pugging so much though.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    The fight was very WoW like in that it was as much a dance as it was killing the boss. I liked it a lot though.
    I agree. Nice 2 phase boss fight. Only thing that would make it better would be to have some other damage source for that flying guy. Because if you kill the melee guy first the 2nd guy is pretty easy to kill and not get hit from what i remember.

Yeah the melee guy was kind of tough. We wiped on him the first time, but the second time we got him down and the flying guy was a real pushover.

While it was sort of interesting having to play twister with the red circles, there's still no team coordination.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Is there any sort of title associated with all of this?
    You can get Avenger of the Dispossessed for completing the dungeon + followup story scenes in Black Citadel/Hoelbrak

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    You can get Avenger of the Dispossessed for completing the dungeon + followup story scenes in Black Citadel/Hoelbrak
    I see. Well looks I'll have to suck it up and pug it then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've run the dungeon a number of times now and I really enjoy it.

The first boss, the boss that's the room is excellent fun. 3 different kinds of attacks, random order in each run, phase change at each 25% health of the Thermal Core in the center of the room.

The "stomp" from the falling weight - the shockwave can be dodged through or jumped over. Then you start getting 2 stomps -each from a random corner of the room. Makes it interesting since you do not have enough dodges for all the waves and have to time your jumps/dodges to avoid overlapping waves. It does a small amount of damage and a knockback/stun if you are hit.

The fiery tornadoes - a line of tornadoes coming from a random wall which increases in density with each wave, does the same dmg + knockback stun if you're hit. Can position yourself to stand between the tornadoes or can be LOSed with the Thermal Core.

Fire circles - yessss fire circles alllll over the ground.

Last phase unleashes all 3 attacks at the same time. If you get caught with your pants down you will be repeatedly knocked around like a little rag doll until your mates kill the Thermal Core.

Final boss, great cutscene, 2 bosses. For every 25% health taken from 1 boss, the other boss gains 50 stacks of enraged buff which doubles his damage so switch off on bosses to take their health down evenly. When one boss is killed any dead members of your party are revived and the remaining boss gains new abilities.

Berserker has 2 shockwave attacks - first he does a stomp and then immediately after does another either another stomp or a clap. Like the 1st boss these can be jumped or dodged, timing & angle of approach is critical to avoid the knockback stun. He also has a teleport ability.

Firestorm throws down fire circles which give you a burning debuff and a knockback/stun.

Medium difficulty for an experienced group, very difficult for inexperienced players. Hard to rez downed players with all the stuff going off and the Berserker likes to teleport to downed players while Mr. Firestorm likes to let them bathe in a pool of fire.

Overall very good dungeon, big thumbs up!
    Valar morghulis

Eventually gave up on killing Berserker first, and killed the Firestorm. That made life a LOT easier because with the Berserker all you have to do is out range the stomp - the RNG with the Firestorm is much more annoying IMO.

The enrage every 25% really hurts if you are low on toughness - you'll likely die (also a LOT) unless dps switch. We had my fiancee on an engineer with a lot of toughness and she could happily run through the stomp without jumping at all and it sort of tickled. By contrast if I missed a jump on my ele, it was downed state time. Jumping though is easy unless the Firestorm surrounds you with flame patches....

Deleted
    I have done the dungeon and thought it was pretty awesome, some really fun fights.