Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Why should Blizz abandon something so many people find fun and challenging? If everything must be balanced to the very edge of boredom, maybe WoW is not for you. I used to arena with a very good warrior, me being a not very good hunter, and the joy of the cap every week you would not believe. I did get better as we did more, but being old and a bit slow did not spoil my fun, or his patience. there must be many many people like me, so why spoil it.

Because the arena alternatives in this game are either too easy (random BGs), or are rarely anything other than completely and utterly one-sided (world PVP), or rely on pugging 9 other competent people (rated BGs).
    Stormscale Horde EU | http://lastrogue.com

Blizzard hasn't abandoned arenas, but I'm pretty sure they have reduced their significance. Rated Battlegrounds seem to be the top tier of PvP these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    Because Arenas are one of the most fun things to do in the game. They're also challenging.
    Random BG's are mostly run by bots and people who, well, suck.
    HEY! I'm not that bad doing PVP.... );

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Except it's dominated by the top 2~3 combos. 2v2 has historically been the most unbalanced bracket but this season it seems way more balanced than 3v3 though matches tend to last as hell since one DPS takes ages to bring down a healer alone.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/pvp/arena/bloodlust/3v3 i see more then 1-3 comps.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    Blizzard hasn't abandoned arenas, but I'm pretty sure they have reduced their significance. Rated Battlegrounds seem to be the top tier of PvP these days.
    It's probably because 10 people also feel more like a team and some players enjoy playing with more than just a few

Rock paper scissors still exist mages crap on warriors and paladins. Hunters crap on mages and shadowpriest crap on hunters.etc
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Arena's arent challenging at all... They are also rediculous because blizzard favors certain classes and will never nerf them..... and if they do its not even a nerf..

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    2v2 CAN and WAS pretty balanced. They flat out don't want to balance it though.
    Not sure what you mean, "WAS pretty balanced"..?

Granted I got 3/4 of my glads in TBC solely in 2s, I'll admit fully it was never balanced. I played warlock/druid 3 seasons in a row (two seasons as a druid and two as a warlock). None of that was balanced by any means. S2 I got gladiator on my warlock with a touchpad and no microphone.

S5 I sold gladiator to a paladin 2s (well, and 3s) on a DK. S6 it was top 5 druid/dk, the only hard teams were mirror matches.

And since then they abandoned 2s, for good reason. There was always a single comp that reigned. Sure someone was able to get gladiator with a different comp, that doesn't mean it was balanced, that just means they tried (or bought, wintraded, what have you).

If anything, they should ditch 5s arena as well, it's actually easier to get titles in than 2s if you care enough and doesn't deserve to be a bracket for titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    I always thought we had this sick amount of CC nowadays because of RBGs and not arena. Gorefiend's grasp, solar beam, ring of frost, smoke bomb, etc these were all AoE abilities designed for mass fights in RBGs.

And as I said before, if you can't handle healers in lolrandomBGs, you're bad... I don't know how you want to balance around lack of skill.
    Your first point doesn't make any sense. In a random BG, you have the potential for more classes and specs to be in the mix, so the need for any one of those to have more than one loss-of-control CC and one snare/root CC is greatly diminished, because someone else will be bringing it.

Your second point isn't worth acknowledging, for reasons I've previously stated (and that you didn't so much as address).
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    Because Arenas are one of the most fun things to do in the game. They're also challenging.
    Random BG's are mostly run by bots and people who, well, suck.
    arena isnt fun when you come accross high rated people or OP comps in 2's or 3's

3's i could live with but 2's is a fucking joke of a ladder now its just fulla warlocks druids and mages and hunters

Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    Why don't we remove the entire game in that case?
    no just remove kalgan from the gaming industry.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I find random BG's to be the most fun implementation they have. Arena is pvp under a microscope, and gets old pretty quickly. Rated BG's = 10 vs 10 on a map designed to accomodate 4x that amount = zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Rateds should have been implemented in a way that the game takes your personal w/l record, and places you in a random with folks that have a similar record.

Randoms are exactly that. You never really know what you're going to be up against, how well they'll play together, etc. Your team may be awful, or not. It's fun because of that.

Still, as far as the OP's point? Arena is probably still the best methodology for attempting *cough* to balance the pvp side of things. Fewer variables, which oddly enough, is a concept they don't seem to follow themselves

/just my .02
    Good post.

Im also a fan of normal bg's. I like the chaotic nature of them. The skill in a normal bg lies more in making good use of chat. Good players can lead total strangers to a victory. Not in all cases, bots and lack of gear also play an important role. But chat is an important tool there, more important then your own skills. I like that.

In reagard of your idea of a personal rating: great idea. I would love if they just introduced a personal rating and merged normal bg's with RBG's. Que up to 5 persons max and you got a simple pvp system where everybody participates.

I would keep arena's cause they are a totally different experience. I also agree that arena is a lot better suited for balancing pvp then a random bg.
    Last edited by Mayden; 2013-05-05 at 11:40 AM.