Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I've recently rerolled a lock.

But not for fotm reasons tbh, I have every other class at level 85+, I've played since Vanilla and never played a lock to more than level 20ish, which was in tbc.

It is quite fun tho, and I'll level it to 90, but I dont plan on playing it that much at level 90.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    It is quite fun tho, and I'll level it to 90, but I dont plan on playing it that much at level 90.
    I've done the same thing with toons, like my priest for instance.. also my rogue in cata just to get the Legendary daggers. More for the achieve than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    I have no links to back it up...

But one of the reasons they gave us a complete revamp, did a green fire quest for us and constantly talk about how underrepresented we are, is that we're rare. The fact that they go through extraordinary lengths to try and up our representation in the class balance speaks louder than any statistics. But if you have statistics showing that we're in the top 3 of most played classes, then I'd like to see it. Last I heard we were pretty far down.

5/5 of my warlock friends quit the game over the last expansion, but that could be an isolated case. I doubt it is though.
    That's what I mean, we're a heavily played class now because we were not before, and blizz wanted more ppl playing the class. That's why Blizz did the revamp, gave us green fire, and class questline. But we aren't where we were previous to MoP. I highly doubt that after all of the changes, there are less warlocks now than ever. The reason blizz did the revamp was to attract ppl to the class. And it worked. Now, most of them are fotm players, and will hit up the next hot class, but I wouldn't be surprised if locks are up there in the list of most played.
    Last edited by Last Starfighter; 2013-05-05 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    but I wouldn't be surprised if locks are up there in the list of most played.
    I would be.

I think people just want to one shot someone with CB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
    I would be.
    I second that.

http://wow.realmpop.com/us.html

Warlocks seem kinda rare from a guild recruitment point of view. We've been looking for warlocks for -since-before-I-joined-. That in combination with our less-than-OP PVP performance seems to have put us in a tight spot.
    Even after the changes, it's really hard to play a warlock well just IMO (although I quit mine before 5.1; perhaps the latest changes made them easier). They've definitely become easier to learn but I would not say they are easier to master. If anything with the new trinkets, it's even harder to master than before.

Also, the PvP really is a big deal. Right now once progression/raid finishes I would love to PvP a lot more on my lock, but obviously in its current state, I'm sort of dissuaded from trying. That said, they definitely are frustrating opponents (much more than Cata), but obviously 25 minute matches... well, it's an upgrade from 45.

- winning a match at 44 minutes, best and worst memory from Cataclysm

Deleted
    You never played your warlock seriously if you did actually enjoy farming soulshards.

How great it was to try to land a Shadowburn at a mob's death and the "too late" bug happen and not get a shard refund? Having to stop arena sessions every 30 minutes to farm shards off Terokkar spiders was a lot of fun too! Not.

I also enjoyed doing nothing in raid fights but keep CoE/CoS, Immo and Corr up and then just mindlessly spam Shadowbolt. And how much fun it was to waste talent points so I didn't have to hard cast Corruption! Yey!

In all honesty though, I do miss the pet, mount and class quests (like the lvl 50 quest) but not the fucking soulshard farming.

Oh, and it was such a thrill to have nothing in your bags but pots, bandages and soulshards so you could hand everyone a healthstone at a time. Ye great warlocks of olde.

Remember flavor of the month isn't chosen by the players its chosen by Blizzard. They made Warlocks interesting again and now people are actually playing Warlocks, the switch-up for Warlocks was desperately needed it was a dying class and nobody wanted to bother playing an underpowered class with broken and difficult class design. Now they are stronger, have interesting rotations for each spec and are essential for raids.

I can see how someone who enjoyed Warlocks pre-mop might be annoyed if it was changed in a way they don't like, but overall the change was good. Locks have been stuck in time since TBC so to see them finally get a revamp is a good thing imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Harekrsna View Post
    Remember flavor of the month isn't chosen by the players its chosen by Blizzard. They made Warlocks interesting again and now people are actually playing Warlocks, the switch-up for Warlocks was desperately needed it was a dying class and nobody wanted to bother playing an underpowered class with broken and difficult class design. Now they are stronger, have interesting rotations for each spec and are essential for raids.

I can see how someone who enjoyed Warlocks pre-mop might be annoyed if it was changed in a way they don't like, but overall the change was good. Locks have been stuck in time since TBC so to see them finally get a revamp is a good thing imo.
    They're less essential for raids than they used to be. Remember Demonic Pact. And warlocks weren't a dying class. They never were. They were just a class that had a smaller playerbase. But that was shared with rogues as they went back and forth for the least played. And I hate when ppl say things are "broken". That usually means they just don't like it. Blizz gave warlocks more changes. Alot more changes in MoP than the rest of the classes. And cool new things. And that's what attracted people to them. And a new questline.

---------- Post added 2013-05-05 at 04:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ogawdspider View Post
    Where does it show when this was updated? Beginning of MoP? Current? It has numbers, but is pretty vague about the time.

Deleted
    I don't think warlocks are that rare atm. Just like rogues in 4.3 people are rolling a bunch of warlocks to get the new shiny cool thingy. Gladly, not every Billy Bob and Mary is able to get Green Fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    In order to play warlock successfully, you need to be such type of a person.
    I really doubt that most of warlocks are for example, MLP Bronies or other type of shining person.
    I used to play Druid back in 4.0.6/4.1 and I can say that it really doesn't fit me. Warlock is perfect, hence it's really a class made for "cynics".
    IMO ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogawdspider View Post
    I never liked to farm Soul Shards i will only nostalgia for the gimmick. I was thankful to blizz when they turned the soul shard only bags into normal bags.

I still have my old Spellstone and Firestones in my bank.. I will never get rid of them hahaha even though they are useless.

Overall though i don't believe Locks will ever be FotM because they are imo the most difficult spell caster to actually be good with.
    And I have the Demonic Figurine and Infernal Stone in addition to the Firestone and Spellstone.
    The memories of setting an Infernal loose running around Goldshire.
    Or some random person getting sacrificed for the Ritual of Doom. Sticking down a random plinth and seeing who clicks it.

People are quick to forget, or completely ignorant of the worst parts of the shard farming.
    Them being inventory items, which for some reason blizzard never allowed to stack.
    Being gained only from a kill during the channel of Drain Soul, and them being needed as a cost for several spells.

The target dummy farming while a welcome quality of life improvement, was a symptom of an awful mechanism.
    It was I believe by accident that we could even do that in the first place, but blizzard realising just how much of a difference that made allowed it to continue.
    I can't say the current implementation is perfect, but it is a huge number of steps forward.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-05-05 at 01:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it really sucked didn't it?.. The countless hours spent farming soulshards, having to drain soul kill 40 crocolisks before showing up for the raid and then having to go and gather as many as possible while the rest of the raid had a 10 min break. No break for us. Just exhaustion.

Then comes MOP and takes away signature moves and making us choose one of them, rather than having all 3 (I'm looking at you Howl, Death Coil and Shadow Fury!).

To top it off we get a crazily low drop-rate quest that is so (amazingly) challenging that (probably) 95% of the locks will never get it done, in spite of the boss mods and guides that have been developed for this reason alone.

No but seriously; I do tend to look back with rose-tinted glasses, but you're at a point where I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or actually being serious. Did you genuinly enjoy farming soulshards for several hours / week? I understand that you might *think* that you enjoyed it now, having done it, but at the time I'm fairly sure nobody enjoyed that endless chore. If you're really looking for "fun quests" aka chores, go do 25 daily quests, daily bg, daily challenge mode and the daily heroic dungeon, if that doesn't sate your desire do some pet battling.
    When I used to raid every other night, I didn't get breaks during progress wiping because of the need to get shards.

I do not miss this at all :P

Deleted
    The biggest issue with all these new locks is, that I do not trust most of them. Before when I played with another Warlock in a PUG or something, I could in 90% of the cases be sure they weren't a complete idiot.

Now .... not so much.

I do not miss my bags being filled with shards AT ALL....

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    And I have the Demonic Figurine and Infernal Stone in addition to the Firestone and Spellstone.
    Or some random person getting sacrificed for the Ritual of Doom. Sticking down a random plinth and seeing who clicks it.

People are quick to forget, or completely ignorant of the worst parts of the shard farming.
    Them being inventory items, which for some reason blizzard never allowed to stack.
    Being gained only from a kill during the channel of Drain Soul, and them being needed as a cost for several spells.

The target dummy farming while a welcome quality of life improvement, was a symptom of an awful mechanism.
    It was I believe by accident that we could even do that in the first place, but blizzard realising just how much of a difference that made allowed it to continue.
    I can't say the current implementation is perfect, but it is a huge number of steps forward.
    I still have all the items required for the Dreadsteed summoning in Dire Maul /fistbump.

Who remembers casting Curse of Doom on rats in Stormwind and having Doomguards spawn from their deaths???? Demon siege!!!
    Last edited by Shadowygoodness; 2013-05-05 at 06:59 PM.
    Those who you know as Warlocks are your Salvation through Destruction. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Deleted
    /Shrug. I don't play Warlock, but I did notice, that Warlocks, by FAR got the biggest love as far as changes are concerned, of all classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    I don't know how many times there would be a friend of mine who began playing and I'd say "Hey come click this" Then someone would die and i would blame them for clicking it wrong.. too many good times were had with ritual of doom.

@Last Starfighter truly i am not sure.. as soon as i posted it i thought that too and looked around but couldn't figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    /Shrug. I don't play Warlock, but I did notice, that Warlocks, by FAR got the biggest love as far as changes are concerned, of all classes.
    Yeah, Blizz made no attempt to hide that. They flat out said that since locks are the least played class, they're getting an overhaul. But I have to wonder, will the next expac be the next lowest played class?

---------- Post added 2013-05-05 at 08:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodfire View Post
    In order to play warlock successfully, you need to be such type of a person.
    I really doubt that most of warlocks are for example, MLP Bronies or other type of shining person.
    I used to play Druid back in 4.0.6/4.1 and I can say that it really doesn't fit me. Warlock is perfect, hence it's really a class made for "cynics".
    IMO ofc.
    I think the whole demonic thing, probably turned alot of ppl away from the class.

Deleted
    The next expansion is going to be interesting. Warlocks are usually OP for one expansion and get the nerfbat on the head for the next one.

I just hope nobody is stupid enough to remove the new Demon Hunting Glyph. That's gonna anger quite a few people for sure.