Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Alex Ferguson set to retire

Alex Ferguson manager of Manchester United is set to retire after 26 years

Even though im a Birmingham City Supporter i have to tip my hat to the guy hes one of the most successful managers in English history

Have to admit me and my dad thought he was a miserable scotch git but my scottish grandfather thought he was awesome

He will go down in history thats for certain shame though he never really had much charisma like Brian Clough

Sad day today

Deleted
    thank the lord for that...up the owls!!

10+ Year Old Account
    No doubt he was a brilliant manager in some regards and his history/achievements are remarkable. But his abuse of the referees and swearing won't be missed, nobody's perfect, though. Still a great manager even though I dislike him.

A legend retires. I wonder if he'll be getting a gig on Match of the Day.

Deleted
    I'll feel bad for whichever company makes his chewing gum

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    No doubt he was a brilliant manager in some regards and his history/achievements are remarkable. But his abuse of the referees and swearing won't be missed, nobody's perfect, though. Still a great manager even though I dislike him.
    It's football, not knitting or a virgins convention....
    Swearing and emotion is part of the deal. And how exactly do you abuse referees?
    Thank God for every manager who gives them a piece of his mind. Most of them act like they rule the world... A world of the blind tho..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Remember, he is only retiring as manager - he is taking on a position on the Board of Directors of Man Utd. I bet he will still be present at every game, just not on the touchline.

Deleted
    He was a great manager, I'm surprised he's gone I never thought I'd live to see the day. I imagine it's a very worrying time for a certain generation of United fans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    It's football, not knitting or a virgins convention....
    Swearing and emotion is part of the deal. And how exactly do you abuse referees?
    Thank God for every manager who gives them a piece of his mind. Most of them act like they rule the world... A world of the blind tho..
    It really isn't, it just shows how ridiculous it is that abuse of the referees is now accepted as a part of the game. Do you see that in rugby? Nope.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a sad days for every football lover...
    Arukas

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    It really isn't, it just shows how ridiculous it is that abuse of the referees is now accepted as a part of the game. Do you see that in rugby? Nope.
    Rugby referees don't strut around like they are the biggest cockerel in the hen house.

Deleted
    I don't know how young football teams do it, but I've been playing rugby since I was 7 years old and we were taught from a very young age to not even ask the referee any questions and whenever he says anything to you, you were to reply 'Yes, sir' no matter what he said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time for David Moyes to step in, all great managers are Scottish

I think it's the right time for Alex Ferguson to step down, he has missed quite a few overseas trips with man utd and has had hip surgery recently. It's a shame to see a living legend retire, but retiring with the league won is the best way to go.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-05-08 at 11:00 AM.

Sad day for the club.
    Even sadder when Moyes is appointed. He's nowhere near good enough for the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Castia View Post
    Sad day for the club.
    Even sadder when Moyes is appointed. He's nowhere near good enough for the job.
    Not set in stone yet, Mourinho is still a possibility and the Dortmund coach has also been linked with the job.

Deleted
    World class manager. Hopefully the special one or Ole Gunnar Solskjær will get the job as the wildcard he is.

10+ Year Old Account

Sir Alex ferguson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22447018

As a lifelong manchester utd supporter this news has pretty much left me stunned.

So who do you think will replace the greatest premier league manager ever?
    Last edited by firechancer; 2013-05-08 at 12:41 PM.
    'I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.' Alex ferguson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Did he finally realise he has more money than he'll ever be able to spend? xD
    I jest...

Some pretty big shoes to fill for whoever does take his place. I'm not into football enough to know very many managers so the only person I can think of is Jose Mourinho.
    Think mourinho will be going to chelsea, he's been linked to go back all season.

A lot of people have been saying mourinho but he's not the type of manager to stay at a club for long periods.The last thing i would want for united is for them to have a different manager every year or two years.
    'I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.' Alex ferguson

Deleted
    Manchester United will want a stable manager, that is not and will never be Mourinho.