Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Shields and Ret.

Recent Q+A mentioned more with shields - possible future choice for Ret (a la War TG/SMF)? 1h-shield Ret sounds interesting!
    I think there is some interesting design space for offensive shield use. The 300s Spartans don't feel like Prot warriors to me. (Source)

-Awkwardly glares at some members in the community-

Actual thoughts if ret were needing to use shields? Probably would have it work like frost DKS. One thing for two-hand then another for sword and board. I think personally it's a little too much to be adding with how ret currently is set up. I've always hoped we'd see a fourth talent tree devoted for a ranged, int-plate user similar to something like a shockadin.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Ghostcrawler already said that he want to use shield more, but only after they did some new ui-modification that we can insert our shield there and use it for shield attacks.

But generally i would really like to see retribution like Frost-DK but instead of dual wield we would do damage with 1h+shield + one or two shield attacks with a chance to generate holy power. And maybe make it possible that we could use both tanking or a healing shield.

A shockadin that can use shield slam and Avenger's Shield. Like....a holy warrior (aka paladin).

I'm getting all excited now. I gotta stop myself.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Give Ret 2H + Shield

Give Prot Dual Wield Shields

Everything would be right in the world again!

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    Give Ret 2H + Shield

Agree, would love to rock hammer of the naaru behind my shield.

Give Ret 2H + Shield

ERMAGERD DW SHIELDS. I can just imagine walking through groups of mobs, backhanding left and right with shield slams yelling out things like "JUSTICE!" "HOLY!" and "RIGHTEOUS!"

And maybe Ret would have a real defensive CD once they give us a shield.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account
    Give Ret 2H + Shield

I would be very, very happy with two hander + shield combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

I just wanna be able to dual wield as ret.

Quote Originally Posted by NightKnight87 View Post
    I just wanna be able to dual wield as ret.
    Yeah, no, doesn't fit Ret at all.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

offensive shields! YES! I would totally be all THIS IS SPARTA. now if only i could wield a polearm in one hand and a shield in the other.....

Polearm + Shield IMO

Then all I would need to do is find a way to bring my old strength + socketed + 10% crit shield over from D3

Sheltering between two Bulwark of Azzinoths would be awesome. As would pummelling everything in the face with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for 2h + shields.

Seriously give 2h + shield.

I wouldn't mind Ret using a shield for defense if it means we have better survivability than we do now. However, when it comes to offense I would rather not have to use a shield or else we will start to feel a little to much like prot.

I think one offensive ability that works with a shield along with a few defensives would be great.

2H and Shield would be really cool. I'd love a Polearm and shield.

someone ask about 1h+ shield ret

ghostcrawler says: there is design space for a shield dps that doesn't feel like prot warrior

not only does he says he wants a competitive 1h+shield melee dps because it is not in game, he also compare it to warrior. he ghostcrawler said to never compare classes himself. I think its a hint for a upcoming warrior dps spec using 1h + shield or a new class. I don't think they will re rehaul ret again, specially if 1h+shield dmg is the same as 2hand then everyone would go 1h+shield for the extra armor (its free) and if its not competitive it'll be ignored.

so unless they make a new spec for the paladin or warrior I don't think we are gonna see a 1h+shield melee dps soon.

Honestly i'd rather see prot paladins going 1hnd + shield || 2hnd + shield and ret staying 2hnd.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ipoststuff View Post
    I'm all for 2h + shields.

Seriously give 2h + shield.

You realize the shields we'd get are 1/4th of the size and obscure items, not some huge Sheildwall though? I wish I had photoshop on my computer right now.

On paper, it'd look awesome. In practice, it could work out decently. I personally don't want it at all though, just IMO.

I'm MORE than content with wielding an awesome 2her, I feel like adding a shield into the mix changes the entire core "dynamic" of everything. It'd be interesting to see prot go between 1h/shield and 2h/shield though.

Honestly, what I'd hope for is them bringing Librams back but not in the Libram/relic/obscure slot, and allow for us to visually wield a 2h and Libram and when our arm is out for judgement/other casts we have that there.

Ret just FEELS right with it being 2h, if only there were more appropriate item models!

What I hope more than anything is that they NEVER make it a 1h and Shield DPS spec.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by Damax View Post
    someone ask about 1h+ shield ret

ghostcrawler says: there is design space for a shield dps that doesn't feel like prot warrior

not only does he says he wants a competitive 1h+shield melee dps because it is not in game, he also compare it to warrior. he ghostcrawler said to never compare classes himself. I think its a hint for a upcoming warrior dps spec using 1h + shield or a new class. I don't think they will re rehaul ret again, specially if 1h+shield dmg is the same as 2hand then everyone would go 1h+shield for the extra armor (its free) and if its not competitive it'll be ignored.

so unless they make a new spec for the paladin or warrior I don't think we are gonna see a 1h+shield melee dps soon.
    What he said was "I think there is some interesting design space for offensive shield use. The 300s Spartans don't feel like Prot warriors to me"

He didn't really say they are going to revamp anyone to be based entirely around offensive shields. But simply that they like the idea of making shields more used by dps like Ret Paladins. And the only thing he "compared" to warriors is the fact that they aren't talking about the general way tanks use shields. Spartans aren't a class in WoW so there was no "class comparison".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    What he said was "I think there is some interesting design space for offensive shield use. The 300s Spartans don't feel like Prot warriors to me"

He didn't really say they are going to revamp anyone to be based entirely around offensive shields. But simply that they like the idea of making shields more used by dps like Ret Paladins. And the only thing he "compared" to warriors is the fact that they aren't talking about the general way tanks use shields. Spartans aren't a class in WoW so there was no "class comparison".
    There's no reason to jump to believe it'd be Paladin either.

TG warriors could just as well use a shield offensively instead of another weapon.

You also have the fact of say, Elemental Shamans, where they could utilize their shields as DPS tools.

I mean to go back to the Q/A, this came up too;

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Q:What is the "fantasy" for a retribution paladin in your eyes?
    A:The classic knight in shining armor. The intersection of warrior and priest. The protector of the innocent. Inquisitor. Punisher. The champion of the Light who uses offense over defense. Uther. Arthas.
    I read that in conjunction with OP's quote as less reliant on "defensive" shields (even if for offense), but instead relying more on plain offense.

On the flip side it can be read as that instead of relying on a shield of defense, they utilize it as a tool for offense. I never said that though.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2013-05-02 at 11:31 PM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature