Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    You realize the shields we'd get are 1/4th of the size and obscure items, not some huge Sheildwall though? I wish I had photoshop on my computer right now.

On paper, it'd look awesome. In practice, it could work out decently. I personally don't want it at all though, just IMO.

I'm MORE than content with wielding an awesome 2her, I feel like adding a shield into the mix changes the entire core "dynamic" of everything. It'd be interesting to see prot go between 1h/shield and 2h/shield though.

Honestly, what I'd hope for is them bringing Librams back but not in the Libram/relic/obscure slot, and allow for us to visually wield a 2h and Libram and when our arm is out for judgement/other casts we have that there.

Ret just FEELS right with it being 2h, if only there were more appropriate item models!

What I hope more than anything is that they NEVER make it a 1h and Shield DPS spec.
    Librams would definitely be the way to go in my opinion.

I could imagine them working similar to how Dk's runeforging works. You could swap out different librams and depending on which one you choose you get extra effects on spells / abilities.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 07:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    There's no reason to jump to believe it'd be Paladin either.

TG warriors could just as well use a shield offensively instead of another weapon.

You also have the fact of say, Elemental Shamans, where they could utilize their shields as DPS tools.
    That is true.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    What he said was "I think there is some interesting design space for offensive shield use. The 300s Spartans don't feel like Prot warriors to me"

He didn't really say they are going to revamp anyone to be based entirely around offensive shields. But simply that they like the idea of making shields more used by dps like Ret Paladins. And the only thing he "compared" to warriors is the fact that they aren't talking about the general way tanks use shields. Spartans aren't a class in WoW so there was no "class comparison".
    you still don't get it. the guys talks about paladins, he responds prot warriors. he could just have said: the 300s Spartans don't feel like prot PALADINS to me. But he used Warriors instead.

Besides we all know how blizzard doesn't likes the fact warriors can't be competitive without shield swap/2hander swap macros. if they give a reason for ret paladins to use shield they will again promote shield swap/2hand macros until they find a different solutions.

Thing is, they already have trouble balancing ret paladins and now you would trust them with balancing 1h+shield ret paladins? Something's bound to go wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Librams would definitely be the way to go in my opinion.

I could imagine them working similar to how Dk's runeforging works. You could swap out different librams and depending on which one you choose you get extra effects on spells / abilities.
    Exactly! There is so much room to be had, it's sad to see something once really cool gone (for now).

And just imagine the cool visuals, like during resurrection, "reading" out of the Libram, all the possibilities!

The Libram and Hammer of the Naaru. Unf.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2013-05-02 at 11:53 PM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

It'd be optional, obviously.. not necessary. Unless they made you able to hold a 2-hander and a shield.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be very pissed if it wasn't optional. I also don't want huge gaps in one being EXTREMELY good in AoE only or one being the best for XYZ fight. That shit would get annoying fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    1h + Shield or 2h + Shield would be AWESOME. I would be happy. I doubt 2h + shield, though, because it would just be a direct buff. But I think it would be awesome to play a shielded dps class, and it is a niche missing in WoW.

Deleted
    I think It would make more sence with 2H and shield, then 1H and shield for ret. First of all would be To close to prot. Added to that, The only way Ret would be 1h + shield would be a shockadin. But hope for 2h And shield would be so awesome. Would adde something special to paladins like Titan grip for warriors

10+ Year Old Account
    I am cringing also at the amount of shields I've thrown away since vanilla. All that xmog. Gone.

Nrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg.

I think giving lip service to giving Rets shield functionality is a pretty big overreaction to pander to pvp dps warriors complaining about shield macros.

I hate to be the harbinger of reality here, but...

Given that he directly referenced Spartans/300 as the "idea" behind sword-n-board DPS as a thing in WOW, would it not make FAR more sense to be the new direction for Arms? Given that, Arms is considered/labeled as the martial warrior, master of tactical combat that's basically a Spartan. Look at something like Pantheon in LOL...leaping around, cleaving, blocking/stunning with a shield. No magic. No heals. No righteous/holy/justice. Just pure badass who kills you if you make him bleed his own blood.

I'd love that playstyle as much as anyone, since I enjoy tanking, but am melee at heart (so, for this expansion anyway, ProtPal DPS and toolkit is fuckin awesome to me). But I can much easier see the Pantheon style as a 2h/shield (think Bo-Ris and Bulwark of Azzinoth) on a Warrior leaping around the field.

Paladins....we'll get something like Taric instead; flashy animations and a support role...basically our niche for as long as I can remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Perhaps they can implement this when they finally get around to revamping Ret Paladins out of their high burst/low sustained rut at the minute. Next expansion, perhaps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    I hate to be the harbinger of reality here, but...

Given that he directly referenced Spartans/300 as the "idea" behind sword-n-board DPS as a thing in WOW, would it not make FAR more sense to be the new direction for Arms? Given that, Arms is considered/labeled as the martial warrior, master of tactical combat that's basically a Spartan. Look at something like Pantheon in LOL...leaping around, cleaving, blocking/stunning with a shield. No magic. No heals. No righteous/holy/justice. Just pure badass who kills you if you make him bleed his own blood.

I'd love that playstyle as much as anyone, since I enjoy tanking, but am melee at heart (so, for this expansion anyway, ProtPal DPS and toolkit is fuckin awesome to me). But I can much easier see the Pantheon style as a 2h/shield (think Bo-Ris and Bulwark of Azzinoth) on a Warrior leaping around the field.

Paladins....we'll get something like Taric instead; flashy animations and a support role...basically our niche for as long as I can remember.
    It's all good. Everything's gonna think differently or have something different to say about the idea even towards shields and ret paladins with them.

I realize it probably more would make sense to direct that towards but the comment seemed to make a good thread topic. :>

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be a "tanky DPS" or a Pantheon type class if possible. I just see that archetype being thrown to warriors, where we get something like battle-mage or shockadin instead.

Although, I'd be happy to see them give warriors a "berserker" flavor, thinking like Olaf where attacks are based on costing your own health at the cost of high damage, and perhaps some health-vamp on melee.

Ugh, WTB World of League of Legendscraft.
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be a "tanky DPS" or a Pantheon type class if possible. I just see that archetype being thrown to warriors, where we get something like battle-mage or shockadin instead.

Although, I'd be happy to see them give warriors a "berserker" flavor, thinking like Olaf where attacks are based on costing your own health at the cost of high damage, and perhaps some health-vamp on melee.

Ugh, WTB World of League of Legendscraft.
    Then we'd become Kayle? If that's the case I can go troll around...... <insert the sound of a fiery sword going WHAM WHAM>

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeActionTess View Post
    Then we'd become Kayle? If that's the case I can go troll around...... <insert the sound of a fiery sword going WHAM WHAM>
    We're pretty close to that if you think about it. We're largely ranged/melee (minus splash damage), with a self/party immunity and a minor speed boost talent(s).

Not that I WANT to be Kayle, but that's pretty close.

WTB Reneketon-Paladin. Don't ask me how, just do it! RIGHTEOUS CROCODILE!
    20k and counting...

I always thought two handed users should have been able to equip bucklers---very low armor shields that allow the use of abilities that require shields. They also wouldn't require a lot of visual space, and are semi-realistic too.

I wouldn't mind a big arse templar's shield to smash justice into the face of my enemies. Basically titan's grip but without being able to dual wield. Considering how bad our defenses have supposedly been this xpack, it probably would be a nice boost.

I've been giving this some thought, and I think the best solution would be to allow the appearance of wearing a shield with different attack animations while still using a 2h weapon.

This ensures that one is not going to be distinctly superior in PvE or PvP, making sure no one is pidgeonholed into playing a "feel" they dont want.
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2013-05-05 at 08:28 AM.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    Give Ret 2H + Shield

Give Prot Dual Wield Shields

Everything would be right in the world again!
    What styles are left?

1H on its own. Doable. You'd lose the 2H bonus of course, so you'd need some extra passive bonus to compensate.
    1H+1Shield DPS: Doable. Avenger Shield and ShoR would have to be baseline. May even see HW or TV make use of the Shield.
    2H + Shield: Again, doable. But you'd need moves which used the Shield and have to decide whether the focus was DPs or tanking. The set up woudl for a Ret going into a tank mode. Gain survivability but lose the 2H damage bonus.
    2H Tanking: Provbably the way Prot should have been.

So - what would work?

Idea: Copy the "Fighting Style" idea from the Monk.

1H Style: Gain 50% extra haste and 1 1s GCD - Speed, finesse. Hit more often for less.
    1H/2H + Shield: Don't gain above advantage. Instead, gain access to Shield based moves. 1H for DPS. 2H for tanking.
    2H Style: 25% extra damage when wielding just a 2H weapon.
    2H Tanking: How to differ between 2H Tanking and 2H DPS? Seals? or make DPS abilities bad for tanking and vice versa?

EJL

The obvious penalties/pros for using a 2h weapon with a shield should be

1) Slower attack speed and damage - lets say by 35%
    2) Higher defenc/mitigation from shield.
    3) Added CC to offset the dps drop eg avengers shield silence/shield slam ( shield based abilities )

If the numbers all worked I think it would be a great addition to ret. And it would give us an option to switch to when getting trained as we currently suck in the self defense department

More likely the MMO solution is abilities on your action bar change depending on equipped weapon. This reduces button "bloat" and gives different flavour for using a shield. TV goes from 2h attack to a 1h + shield slam attack. I doubt for serious raiding this will ever be an actual option as a dps. However for defensive play or pvp it would be a welcome addition.