Messing with a bot

Hi folks

A bot has recently turned up on my server. He has a pretty regular pattern. He logs in once an hour in Exodar, runs between the AH, mailbox, gbank, and a vendor. I am certain he's a bot due to his pathing (the coordinates programmed in give some pretty obvious signs, along with him taking *exactly* the same path every time).

Now, he doesnt hurt my bottom line so much. However I do dislike bots so I'm trying to come up with ways to mess with him. Obviously I'm reporting him daily, and trying to get others to do the same. Does anybody have any suggestions of things I can do to hinder him? I"m thinking of perhaps some item that will trigger a collision that I can put in his path and hopefully put him offtrack.

Thanks very much.

If it's like the rest of the Exodars, horde druid/rogue (if a pvp server)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tanktank View Post
    If it's like the rest of the Exodars, horde druid/rogue (if a pvp server)
    It's in the starting zone, the bot wouldn't be PvP hot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablous1 View Post
    Hi folks

A bot has recently turned up on my server. He has a pretty regular pattern. He logs in once an hour in Exodar, runs between the AH, mailbox, gbank, and a vendor. I am certain he's a bot due to his pathing (the coordinates programmed in give some pretty obvious signs, along with him taking *exactly* the same path every time).

Now, he doesnt hurt my bottom line so much. However I do dislike bots so I'm trying to come up with ways to mess with him. Obviously I'm reporting him daily, and trying to get others to do the same. Does anybody have any suggestions of things I can do to hinder him? I"m thinking of perhaps some item that will trigger a collision that I can put in his path and hopefully put him offtrack.

Thanks very much.
    to interfere with another player like that would be worthy of an suspension I'd think, the best you can do is keep reporting him... and if in fact he is a bot blizzard will catch on eventually. I cant see the logic in risking your own account to impede someone else.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    to interfere with another player like that would be worthy of an suspension I'd think, the best you can do is keep reporting him... and if in fact he is a bot blizzard will catch on eventually. I cant see the logic in risking your own account to impede someone else.
    It would depend on how I go about it I think. Stuffing his mailbox full of CoD items I could see being suspended for. Dropping an item on the ground I think I would be pretty safe.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 12:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    It would depend on how I go about it I think. Stuffing his mailbox full of CoD items I could see being suspended for. Dropping an item on the ground I think I would be pretty safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Send an email with the information to hacks@blizzard.com. They "removed" the AH bot on my realm 1 day after I sent the email.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you thought the reason he hasn't been suspended is because he isn't a bot? I do the exact same thing on my alt, i take the same path, and how many times have you actually watched his pathing? have you mapped it out? Too many people throw around the "bot" crap because they get annoyed at being undercut all the time, and have no actual proof

15+ Year Old Account
    A trick I learned to deal with a bot (IDK if it still works, but it used to be 100% effective) that I learned when my friend was botting was message them a lot in a short period of time.

I'm not saying spam them, but send them casual messages "Hey!" "How's it going man?!" "Whatcha up to??" "Coming out friday?" stuff like that, do that for long enough and the bot will auto-dissconnect the player (if not monitored).

I learned this when I thought he was ignoring me, I got him to admit he was botting and he was banned the next day. Turned to drugs and dropped out of school from there.

whoops

Just report them for good measure though, this can help keep them out of your way1
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

10+ Year Old Account
    You could always stock up with those items you throw to people. Fill up his inventory.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nario64 View Post
    You could always stock up with those items you throw to people. Fill up his inventory.

thats a really good idea! im going to start doing this! thanks for tip :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Have you thought the reason he hasn't been suspended is because he isn't a bot? I do the exact same thing on my alt, i take the same path, and how many times have you actually watched his pathing? have you mapped it out? Too many people throw around the "bot" crap because they get annoyed at being undercut all the time, and have no actual proof
    Yes, but you can clearly tell the difference from when a bot takes the same path, and an actual human.

Quote Originally Posted by tanktank View Post
    I remember doing this to temporarily prevent a buddy from transferring servers. horray for creative use of the mailbox!

Send an email with the information to hacks@blizzard.com. They "removed" the AH bot on my realm 1 day after I sent the email.
    Also a good idea.

In my experience this hasn't worked for me. if he's bouncing between a mailbox and vendor, he's likely whitelisted certain white items to get auto-sold. (such as leather balls, paper zepplin, etc.)

Botting - Giving people a reason to stalk other players since 2006.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Panszer View Post
    Yes, but you can clearly tell the difference from when a bot takes the same path, and an actual human.
    How? On my warrior i do the exact same route each time, same with my bank, The only way you can tell if someones path is being ran by a bot is if it's zonewide not just running from the AH to the mailbox, with such a short distance it's hard to not take the same route each time

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    How? On my warrior i do the exact same route each time, same with my bank, The only way you can tell if someones path is being ran by a bot is if it's zonewide not just running from the AH to the mailbox, with such a short distance it's hard to not take the same route each time
    It's kind of in the way they MOVE. There's something dinstinctly human about how a human player moves. I can recognize my favourite guildies just by how they MOVE, even if it's just the way they strafe. I could play without nameplates and in RP-screen mode, and they'd both be exact same toon and move between mailbox and AH and I'm absolutely positive I will be correct about who is who.

And I mean obviously I don't know YOU yet the way you MOVE will be distinctly human, because there's *always* slight variances, ever so slight, that make you look like a human is controlling the toon - a human simply cannot ever move with the precision of a robot. While a bot, observe it for 5 minutes, just the way they stop, to the way they turn, it's in EVERYTHING - I mean, make it a habit, observe other players and specifically movement, even if at first you're not so sure what I'm on about, eventually you're bound to notice the subtleties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    It's kind of in the way they MOVE. There's something dinstinctly human about how a human player moves. I can recognize my favourite guildies just by how they MOVE, even if it's just the way they strafe. I could play without nameplates and in RP-screen mode, and they'd both be exact same toon and move between mailbox and AH and I'm absolutely positive I will be correct about who is who.

And I mean obviously I don't know YOU yet the way you MOVE will be distinctly human, because there's *always* slight variances, ever so slight, that make you look like a human is controlling the toon - a human simply cannot ever move with the precision of a robot. While a bot, observe it for 5 minutes, just the way they stop, to the way they turn, it's in EVERYTHING - I mean, make it a habit, observe other players and specifically movement, even if at first you're not so sure what I'm on about, eventually you're bound to notice the subtleties.
    This is right, Bots can make a sudden turn that we as player just can't do or we don't do because its near to impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Something I used to do was to make a character with a name beginning with 'aa' then message any bots I saw farming. When they went to mail their gold and mats the bot program would send it to the first character on the autocomplete list (me). So I'd get all their stuff

Dunno if that still works though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post

That's a fair point then, better explained like that