Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Developing Triceps.

Hello guys, wondering if anyone could give me some extra advice to developing triceps. At the moment, my bicep's are or they atleast look it, are larger than my tricep's. Current tricep workout is as follows: Machine pulldowns with rope and pushdowns with bar, dumbell overhead extension and press up's.

I usually do around 3-4 sets or 6-12 reps when trying to build or around 4-5 when strength but the main problem I have is that rather feeling a burn sensation, my triceps actually start to cramp up really bad whenever I engage triceps. I always warm up on the appropriate muscle group when I'm about to train on that area. It's the only muscle group I struggle and it gets demoralizing.

Any help is great!

10+ Year Old Account
    close grip bench press
    tricep kickback
    skullcrushers

Dips a lot of dips, god I love those diips!

Assuming you're doing a bench exercise, and some form of shoulder presses, I would think it should be enough to add in dips as your main triceps exercise.

All pressing exercises involve your triceps in a compound movement, so you don't really need to isolate them, depending on how your split is, you could add in some form of extension, but don't think it's necessary. Unless you have some great genetics for triceps, I don't think too many isolations are worth doing, dips as mentioned is a perfect exercise for developing your triceps

If your bis are bigger than your tris you need to start benching and stop doing 10 sets of curls every time you go to the gym. Your tris should naturally be bigger if you're doing compound movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Inay View Post
    Dips a lot of dips, god I love those diips!
    This is all you need for tris. Do em after you bench.

Deleted
    Well I'm on a 3day split at the moment, doing Chest and arms together and that day consists of, Incline/Decline Bench and I try to end on some dumbell flies, Standing bicep curls with a EZ bar and preachers, then triceps.

Problem I have with dips is they really strain my shoulders and can only manage a few.

10+ Year Old Account
    dips is not considered a safe exercise especially if you have any short of joint problem.
    Don't go to low, don't bounce at the end and stop if you feel any kind of discomfort on your elbows or shoulders.
    Also since triceps is a relative small muscle you shouldn't overdo it with isolation exercises, go with skull-crushers/french press, close grip bench press or one fumbbell one arm triceps extension and/or cable pushdown.

Have look here if you like http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Arm...l#anchor122387

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dips are definitely good here. Just make sure, as with everything else, you're doing them with good form. Get someone else to check your form or video it and watch back. If dips are straining your shoulders, make sure you're keeping your shoulders back and chest out. Quite likely that's part of the problem.

If only being able to do a few reps is related to bodyweight vs strength, your gym might have a machine that will let you do them assisted. Or you could do bench dips etc.

Deleted
    I do 3 split (At the moment) aswell, and I do Bench Press - Incline - Decline - Dips - Skullcrushers. Could replace Decline with Flies if you feel like it.

do 1 arm pushups. Best workout for triceps ainec.

Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    I do 3 split (At the moment) aswell, and I do Bench Press - Incline - Decline - Dips - Skullcrushers. Could replace Decline with Flies if you feel like it.
    I pretty much do exactly the same, with good results aswell, but I do machine flyes instead of decline, and dumbell incline, looks something like

2 sets of Bench Press
    2 sets of Dumbell Incline
    2-3 sets of dips
    3 sets flyes
    2 sets of skullcrusher

Roughly a 50min workout

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmartian View Post
    Well I'm on a 3day split at the moment, doing Chest and arms together and that day consists of, Incline/Decline Bench and I try to end on some dumbell flies, Standing bicep curls with a EZ bar and preachers, then triceps.

Problem I have with dips is they really strain my shoulders and can only manage a few.
    Stop doing decline bench. Do flat bench with a barbell instead, and do it before your incline bench. That one change alone will blow up your triceps. If you add dips on top of that, you will be golden.

By the way, it's normal to only be able to do a few body weight dips. Just do as many as you can for 2-3 sets. Once you can get 3 sets of 10, you can add weight (ie: hold a 5 pounder between your legs as you do your dips).

It would he helpful if you had a picture or something since your triceps make up 2/3's of your arm while the biceps make only 1/3 I don't see how that would be possible, Unless you've somehow never trained them or are on some kind of medical aid.

Deleted
    Triceps can be a hard muscle group to train properly for many people, and the effectiveness of each exercise vary greatly for each individual. If you have small/weak joints there are certain exercises you shouldn't be performing. If you have any issues with your wrists, you should stay away from barbell close grip bench press, if you suffer from shoulder problems you might want to stay away from dips and if you have any elbow problems stay away from skullcrushers especially.

Dips are generally considered one of the greatest triceps exercises, just make sure to be about as vertical you can be when doing to exercise to isolate the triceps even more, benting forward while doing to exercise engages more of your chest.

Close grip bench press are also a great triceps exercise, however be vary when going with high weight. A lot of people develop their triceps much faster than what their wrist can keep up with, which for many causes wrist injuries due to the unnatural grip.

Skullcrushers also great, my favorite but again be careful with the weight and movement. High risk of injury if you smack on lot of weight.

I would personally recommend doing a reverse grip triceps exercise as well, Reverse grip pushdown for example. It really helps thicken up the long head of your triceps, seen great results from many who begun using that variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Labze View Post
    Triceps can be a hard muscle group to train properly for many people, and the effectiveness of each exercise vary greatly for each individual. If you have small/weak joints there are certain exercises you shouldn't be performing. If you have any issues with your wrists, you should stay away from barbell close grip bench press, if you suffer from shoulder problems you might want to stay away from dips and if you have any elbow problems stay away from skullcrushers especially.

Dips are generally considered one of the greatest triceps exercises, just make sure to be about as vertical you can be when doing to exercise to isolate the triceps even more, benting forward while doing to exercise engages more of your chest.

Close grip bench press are also a great triceps exercise, however be vary when going with high weight. A lot of people develop their triceps much faster than what their wrist can keep up with, which for many causes wrist injuries due to the unnatural grip.

Skullcrushers also great, my favorite but again be careful with the weight and movement. High risk of injury if you smack on lot of weight.

I would personally recommend doing a reverse grip triceps exercise as well, Reverse grip pushdown for example. It really helps thicken up the long head of your triceps, seen great results from many who begun using that variation.
    This is the only good post in this thread. It's important to hit all of the heads of your triceps if you want to develop them fully. Along with compound movements already in my routine, I do triceps isolation work with reverse grip cable bar pull downs, dumb bell kickbacks, weighted dips, and 1 hand overhead extensions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravock View Post
    This is the only good post in this thread. It's important to hit all of the heads of your triceps if you want to develop them fully. Along with compound movements already in my routine, I do triceps isolation work with reverse grip cable bar pull downs, dumb bell kickbacks, weighted dips, and 1 hand overhead extensions.
    Just a piece of extra advice, I strongly recommend replacing dumbell kickbacks with cable kickbacks instead. You only have proper tension on your triceps during half of the exercise, the bottom part of the movement doesn't do much with dumbells where as the pull from the cable will keep proper tension on your triceps during the full range of motion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravock View Post
    This is the only good post in this thread.
    Elegant way to insult the thread's participants and sound like asshole.
    Gratz.

If you have any issues with your wrists, you should stay away from barbell close grip bench press
    That's true but you can use ez-bar to bring the wrist in a more natural position.

if you have any elbow problems stay away from skullcrushers especially.
    That's also true, you can replace it with lying triceps extension, the stressing on the elbows is far less.

Dips are generally considered one of the greatest triceps exercises
    Actually all the weighted triceps exercises are equally good in my opinion.
    Bench dip and close grip push-up for example, it seems a bit safer and easier to execute for an inexperienced person.

I'm pretty sure that reverse grip targets mostly the medial head, not the long, i could be wrong ofcourse.
    It's good variation though since it takes the load of your shoulders, in a sense it's adds more isolation.
    A good alternative for the long head would be rope pushdown.

One of my favorite tricep workouts is to go to the rope pulldown machine, and pull the rope through and do one arm extensions. It emulates the tricep kickback exercise, but isolates the tricep more and really wrecks it in a good way. Try it out!!

A great tricep is key to a great arm since a tricep is 2/3 of the muscle in your arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    One of my favorite tricep workouts is to go to the rope pulldown machine, and pull the rope through and do one arm extensions. It emulates the tricep kickback exercise, but isolates the tricep more and really wrecks it in a good way. Try it out!!

A great tricep is key to a great arm since a tricep is 2/3 of the muscle in your arm.
    These. Fuckin burns so good lol.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post

Yes, yes, yes. I love that exercise. Also, dips (barring any joint problems, of course).
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.