Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    So how about you tell Metzen in person and do better ? Besides that Metal Gear Solid always had shit story... oh I forgot its based about opinions but afterall you dont seem to care, so you should believe in what I see.

Stop comparing Warcrafts story and Lore with another one, you would compare several games with only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    People still play Metal Gear lol?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Warcraft got a Huge awesome rich lore. i like it alot, maybe even more than Tolkien and stuff like that.
    However, i think World of Warcraft is the worst storytelling game blizzard has ever made. Can't totally blame they for it, but its pretty confuse to keep up the lore when you are on a wide open-world with 20 different quests telling 20 different stories.
    I Think blizzard should have some main quests, like GW2 and SWTOR, with voice actors and stuff. And those would tell the whole story. I Just hate to read huge texts while questing. Huge text to get quests, huge text to complete quests. It's just boring to read when you have an awesome colored world in front of you. Blizzard should really hire some voiceactor to read quests for us. i would stop and listen to it.

Well, my point is pretty simple: "Warcraft got one of the best lores i've ever seen, World of Warcraft is a bad storytelling game and don't make good use of the lore"
    Signature was infraaaaaaaaaacted. Need a new one!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    I kind of agree and disagree at the same time while I don't really think the "lore" sucks that much there are a bit many cliche's with the villains in wow... it's like metzen has 2 patterns which he follows... pattern a- villain gets corrupted, pattern b- villain goes mad to the point of no return... and that's basically all end bosses in all expansions.... Illidan-mad, Arthas- corrupted, deathwing-corrupted, garrosh-mad/corrupted(prolly both)... I don't think we have any genuinely evil bosses in wow except the old gods... Even the one who is supposed to be the biggest evil in the universe- Sargeras -was corrupted...
    My main grip is that WoW's villains are so "flat", they have no soul literally. It's hard to see them as actual people - people with beliefs and motivations that drive their actions. It's nigh impossible to sympathise with them in any fashion.

I don't know if it's because the story is poorly written or just poorly told. The actions of many characters make little to no sense half the time.

With billions of dollars in revenue, you would think they could afford decent writers and directors.

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 11:56 AM ----------

Oh, BTW I'm well aware that it's "opinion". But guess what? I, like everyone else, is entitled to my own.

10+ Year Old Account
    What?

The Warcraft lore is one of the reasons why I still continue playing WoW (on break right now but I know I'll be back next month)
    The only unfortunate thing about its lore is WoW not able to tell even some of it through the game.

It used to be really, really good. Then cataclysm came and did what deathwing did to Azeroth to the lore. Then, in a shattered world you didn't think could possibly get worse they had the festering carcass that is WoW lore raped to death by MoP.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post

Also, Garrosh's story and motivation, which is one of OP's main points, will be a completed story in 5.4. until then, it's an unfinished product and should be regarded as such.
    I was not talking about Garrosh. However I don't have high hopes.

I can overlook one or two villains being poorly characterised. But nearly all of them?!

Quote Originally Posted by TrollShaman View Post
    What?

The Warcraft lore is one of the reasons why I still continue playing WoW (on break right now but I know I'll be back next month)
    The only unfortunate thing about its lore is WoW not able to tell even some of it through the game.
    AKA FAIL.

It's like going to watch a movie with poorly fleshed out characters where you can't understand why they act the way they act and can form zero connection with them ... then be asked to buy the novels to "get it".

Supplementary material is suppose to be, you know ... supplementary!

When you leave major plot points out of the story of the main product ... that is "full retard" behaviour right there.

Deleted
    I don't think the problem is the lore it self (actually I think it's fucked up now in MoP but that's not the point), but more the way it's told, for one you almost have no information in-game, and that's probably why you think many characters don't make sense in their actions, you have to buy the books to understand most of the things that happen, which I feel is stupid in a game where you already have to pay 15 euros (or whatever currency you use in your country) a month to play, you shouldn't have to buy books to understand what's happening, that's the big problem right there.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark Son View Post
    I don't think the problem is the lore it self (actually I think it's fucked up now in MoP but that's not the point), but more the way it's told, for one you almost have no information in-game, and that's probably why you think many characters don't make sense in their actions, you have to buy the books to understand most of the things that happen, which I feel is stupid in a game where you already have to pay 15 euros (or whatever currency you use in your country) a month to play, you shouldn't have to buy books to understand what's happening, that's the big problem right there.
    I'm quite sure it's a huge part of the problem.

But the thing is, even after reading wowpedia ... they do still feel kind of shallow - "they have gone mad" is such a crappy excuse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post

But the thing is, even after reading wowpedia ... they do still feel kind of shallow - "they have gone mad" is such a crappy excuse.
    Well yeah but atleast Illidan and Arthas have a good back story in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account

It's only as shallow as how deep you want to look, which is directly related to how genuinely interested you are.

What's Sauron's motivation for wanting to rule Middle Earth?

People who only saw the movies: "He wanted his ring back and he's evil!"
    People who read the books: "He's finishing the work that Morgoth started."
    People who've perused the entirity of the Silmarillion: "... got a couple of hours? I'll tell you how everything started with a song. I'll make us some tea."
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    ... isn't it?

It's freaking sad that Metal Gear Rising, a hack and slash action game, has more interesting and better rounded out villains. -_-
    You should see more variety then, cause I just spent the past two hours watching the story and it was just plain bad. The writing was awful, the characters were all static, and the villain was just...boring. I want my 2 hours back, because honestly it wasn't worth watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    You should see more variety then, cause I just spent the past two hours watching the story and it was just plain bad. The writing was awful, the characters were all static, and the villain was just...boring. I want my 2 hours back, because honestly it wasn't worth watching.
    I thought it was pretty good, altough it's kinda silly to compare two games that are completly different from each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    What gimps WoW's lore is the game mechanics it has to adhere to. Kosak said there's all sorts of plot hooks they want to explore in MoP, but what it comes down to is whether or not it would, and I quote, "make good gameplay."

That's kind of sad. They've proven that they can write compelling characters and cook up rather creative plots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft lore is so large and intriguing there is so much potential there but its constantly neglected by blizzard. The lore went down the crapper after wotlk ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    People still play Metal Gear lol?
    Probably, just like people still play wow.

No books. A story should be self-contained in the "product".
    The product is the WarCraft franchise. The books are part of that.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark Son View Post
    Well yeah but atleast Illidan and Arthas have a good back story in my opinion.
    Illidan until he gone mad and became a loot pinata. Arthas was alright ...

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    At least I could understand the motivations of the characters!

All the major bosses had beliefs and goals that drive their behaviour. You maybe not agree with them, but you could at least understand their PoV.

And how are the characters static? While the bosses die unrepented holding on to their beliefs to their dying breathe. Raiden develops slowly over the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    What characters are you talking about?

Disagree.
    A good or "realistic" story is so complex and big that a movie will never be able to explain everything.

Can you name a movie that explains everything?
    No need to explain "everything".

The bare minimum is the characters need to be "understandable", so the audience can form a connect with them, because that's what stories are about. When it comes down to it, stories are all really about "people".

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 08:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The product is the WarCraft franchise. The books are part of that.
    No the product is the game known as World of Warcraft. It's what I paid money for, it's was what came in the box.

The "franchise" is a bunch of products.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2013-05-03 at 08:03 PM.

Illidan until he gone mad and became a loot pinata. Arthas was alright ...

At least I could understand the motivations of the characters!

All the major bosses had beliefs and goals that drive their behaviour. You maybe not agree with them, but you could at least understand their PoV.

No need to explain "everything".

The bare minimum is the characters need to be "understandable", so the audience can form a connect with them, because that's what stories are about. When it comes down to it, stories are all really about "people".

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 08:00 PM ----------

No the product is the game known as World of Warcraft. It's what I paid money for, it's was what came in the box.

The "franchise" is a bunch of products.
    I have one question for you:

Did you consider Vanilla and BC's stories good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushro View Post
    I bet you're the type of person who thinks anime is the epitome of storytelling.
    It may not be the epitome. But it's ahead of the curve imo. Japanese people come up with insane ideas and as long as their not tied into the 24 episode formate or 49-50 episode format, have the ability to take as much time as they need to tell a story.
    (granted a lot of them take it to far, one piece comes to mind)
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"