Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been enjoying the ride since WCIII and that was years ago. Since you don't offer much constructive criticism or why OP. I'll just wager you feel you are the law and whoever disagrees has bad tastes and or standards.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    It's only as shallow as how deep you want to look, which is directly related to how genuinely interested you are.
    Wait ... so I'm suppose to "work" to be interested?

LOL

What's Sauron's motivation for wanting to rule Middle Earth?

People who only saw the movies: "He wanted his ring back and he's evil!"
    People who read the books: "He's finishing the work that Morgoth started."
    People who've perused the entirity of the Silmarillion: "... got a couple of hours? I'll tell you how everything started with a song. I'll make us some tea."
    It's well known LotR is a "black and white" story.

I have no issues with "plain evil" villains such as Sauron. Just like I have no issue with the Old Gods. That said, such villains normally aren't very interesting.

Secondly, when Blizzard turns a normal "thinking" character into a loot piñata, I expect an explanation as to how he reach such a state from his former state - he has "gone mad" has be so over used in WoW.

I can see the future expansion title now,

World of Warcraft:
    Saviour of Azeroth - The Rise of Psychiatry

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny thing is people wanted someone evil with no outside corruption. We get it and someone comes out of the wordworks and doesn't like it. Oh and OP you demeaned the franchise again.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I have one question for you:

Did you consider Vanilla and BC's stories good.
    Vanilla was OK. Is not great, but it was acceptable.

BC ... LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I've been enjoying the ride since WCIII and that was years ago. Since you don't offer much constructive criticism or why OP. I'll just wager you feel you are the law and whoever disagrees has bad tastes and or standards.
    Perhaps you haven't been reading.

The villains of WoW need more depth. They need believable motives other that "they have gone mad". They need believable beliefs that drive them. "Human" beliefs so that the audience can form a connection with them.

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 08:17 PM ----------

Funny thing is people wanted someone evil with no outside corruption. We get it and someone comes out of the wordworks and doesn't like it. Oh and OP you demeaned the franchise again.
    No, I want a villain that has a believable motive other than "corruption" and "he has gone mad".

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I want a villain that has a believable motive other than "corruption" and "he has gone mad".
    Except that's what Garrosh is. He's just a downright jackass.

The villains of WoW need more depth. They need believable motives other that "they have gone mad". They need believable beliefs that drive them. "Human" beliefs so that the audience can form a connection with them.
    I have, I just think you are full of crap.

Warrior-Magi

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Except that's what Garrosh is. He's just a downright jackass.
    But why? So the guy is "naturally" evil like the old gods. We have been down that path, we already have an evil overload villain.

I have, I just think you are full of crap.
    Back at you,

Since you don't offer much constructive criticism or why ...

I'll just wager you feel you are the law and whoever disagrees has bad tastes and or standards.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Vanilla was OK. Is not great, but it was acceptable.

BC ... LOL.
    Alright. At least you're not one of those people raving how BC or Vanilla's storytelling was somehow better than the current expansions have done (Even Cata was better and that's saying something).

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 08:24 PM ----------

But why? So the guy is "naturally" evil like the old gods. We have been down that path, we already have an evil overload villain.

Back at you,
    Then is there no pleasing you?

You said you want an uncorrupted villain.

Here he is.

A lot of players can't wait to kill him.

Blizzard has even said he's just a bad egg, while beneath it all he's also just a scared child trying to live up to the expectations of his people.

I like Garrosh as a villain purely due to the fact that, if you consider it, he's almost sympathetic. Any villain that you can see the raw emotion in is a well written character.

I don't know what you could possibly want more, but hey, opinions differ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post

Can you name a movie that explains everything?
    Die Hard.

We have terrorists and then we have Bruce Willis killing everyone while he is getting mutilated.

You dont need to know more.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alright. At least you're not one of those people raving how BC or Vanilla's storytelling was somehow better than the current expansions have done (Even Cata was better and that's saying something).

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 08:24 PM ----------

Then is there no pleasing you?

You said you want an uncorrupted villain.

Here he is.

A lot of players can't wait to kill him.

Blizzard has even said he's just a bad egg, while beneath it all he's also just a scared child trying to live up to the expectations of his people.

I like Garrosh as a villain purely due to the fact that, if you consider it, he's almost sympathetic. Any villain that you can see the raw emotion in is a well written character.

I don't know what you could possibly want more, but hey, opinions differ.
    Well, I'm not pleased.

WoWs villains fall into 3 categories, "gone mad", corrupted, plain naturally evil. Maybe good enough for saturday morning cartoons, but I expect more from WoW - oddly enough 90s/00s cartoons like Batman:TAS and Justice League have pretty darn well fleshed out characters.

Edit: and maybe "sympathetic" isn't the right word. "Comprehensible"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Die Hard.

We have terrorists and then we have Bruce Willis killing everyone while he is getting mutilated.

You dont need to know more.

Simplification which doesn't do the movie credit.

Well, I'm not pleased.

WoWs villains fall into 3 categories, "gone mad", corrupted, plain naturally evil. Maybe good enough for saturday morning cartoons, but I expect more from WoW - oddly enough 90s/00s cartoons like Batman:TAS and Justice League have pretty darn well fleshed out characters.
    You'll never be pleased. I'm sorry but you haven't convinced me your opinion is constructive. No Garrosh isn't like the Old Gods. FIRST of all we don't know when they spawned other than something vague. We know Garrosh was in Nagrand and his upbringing. Ever since we known. So comparing him to an Old God is a bad way to argue.

Warrior-Magi

OP's problem is he can't see outside base generalizations of the characters. I could easily take MGR's endboss and say "lolparodyofRepublicans" just as easily as he takes WoW villains and says "lolcorruption." It's ironic too since Garrosh has more in common with MGR's final boss than the OP wishes to see.

Simplification which doesn't do the movie credit.
    Its still awesome series.

WoW villains = corrupted / insane, or pursuing massive destruction without apparent reason

No the product is the game known as World of Warcraft. It's what I paid money for, it's was what came in the box.

The "franchise" is a bunch of products.
    It's WarCraft lore. Not World of WarCraft lore. The product in question is the franchise, not the game.

Quote Originally Posted by zingar View Post
    WoW villains = corrupted / insane, or pursuing massive destruction without apparent reason
    Then what is Garrosh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Then what is Garrosh?
    I dont see reason in that. Spilling all cards out of his sleeve at once? Thats a terrible life choice.

Deleted
    Guys I don't think you're understanding the OP, he says he wants villains that have clear motives for doing what they do, ''going mad'' or ''being naturally evil'' aren't clear motives, but it's what happens with many villains in WoW, altough not all like the OP seems to believe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    It's not OK when it's presented as fact ("such and so game has better villains"), or alluded to as commonly accepted without taking in regard other people's opinions on the matter.
    OP's presentation is lacking.

Also, Garrosh's story and motivation, which is one of OP's main points, will be a completed story in 5.4. until then, it's an unfinished product and should be regarded as such.
    Or you shouldn't read it as a "fact" but just his own oppinion. Also he can still state his oppinion without 5.4 otherwise people could just say to wait until w/e amount expansion cause obviously thing can change then.

---------- Post added 2013-05-04 at 12:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The product is the WarCraft franchise. The books are part of that.
    Part of the franchise yes, but the game should still be able to stand on its own without forcing people to pay extra for books - otherwise the books, or playing the game, should be free (or very much stated in game "go read this book cause we cba to tell the story right here). Also I do believe they aren't following whats said in the books 100% in game as well, so thats another point in messing up the story.

---------- Post added 2013-05-04 at 12:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    What gimps WoW's lore is the game mechanics it has to adhere to. Kosak said there's all sorts of plot hooks they want to explore in MoP, but what it comes down to is whether or not it would, and I quote, "make good gameplay."

That's kind of sad. They've proven that they can write compelling characters and cook up rather creative plots.
    It could make good gameplay if done right, but doesn't help if they feel the majority (big majority) of the people playing the game ignores whats being told. And that would be another issue all together having to sellout for more costumers who really aren't the target the game is meant for (its an mmoRPG, so story should be a major part of the game).

---------- Post added 2013-05-04 at 01:00 PM ----------

Garrosh has some "depth" problem is its just not revealed right. Since it seems somewhat clear to me that Garrosh has an issue understanding what honor is; stating he doesn't just want to go pillaging the humans and kill children in their sleep, yet want to use what can be described as wmd to eliminate them all.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Blackwing Heroine BlackwingHecate's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    sweeping generalisations much
    With that avatar and that signature, that was so much better, but you shouldn't lose your head over it...
    Nostalgia is the hollow remnants of memories long gone.

-Kaito Kumon (Kamen Rider Baron)

Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    Part of the franchise yes, but the game should still be able to stand on its own without forcing people to pay extra for books - otherwise the books, or playing the game, should be free (or very much stated in game "go read this book cause we cba to tell the story right here). Also I do believe they aren't following whats said in the books 100% in game as well, so thats another point in messing up the story.
    The game does stand on its own. Just not the lore, but the lore is that of the franchise. You can play WoW without all of that, though, as it's just background information you're missing.