10+ Year Old Account

Guardians and Critical Strike Percent

In bear form I'm just under 60% crit, I was just wondering at what point do I want to start picking up something else over crit. Maybe even some more stam with stam/crit gems, after 60? 70? 80% crit?.

My stats in bear form...
    Haste: 14.02%
    Hit: 7.57%
    Crit: 59.27%
    Expertise: 15.02%
    Mastery: 18.86%
    Unbuffed Health at about: 567k

Thanks,
    Ritic
    Area52 US

I was wondering the same thing, but i quess there is no cap for crit, in blue sockets i already run Stam/crit cause i have to much hit.

But since crit gives us more dmg plus more rage that can be spent on more FR or T&C proccs or maul without T&C proccs raising our dmg even more. Since our other stats are not as good i would say crit all the way to 100%. for gems, going for stam/crit to get more HP instead of crit/hit and reforging to hit is ok, if you need more hp/want more

The softcap where the Rage generated from Crit goes down to almost nothing is 79% on your character sheet (aka 76% vs boss). However it is still the best for DPS (after Hit/Exp) beyond that point. Haste then becomes the only real stat for RPS.

Mastery and Stamina are just EH stats. They don't really do anything unless you need them to. So after 79% you have a choice between more DPS and more RPS. What you choose is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielle View Post
    The softcap where the Rage generated from Crit goes down to almost nothing is 79% on your character sheet (aka 76% vs boss). However it is still the best for DPS (after Hit/Exp) beyond that point. Haste then becomes the only real stat for RPS.

Mastery and Stamina are just EH stats. They don't really do anything unless you need them to. So after 79% you have a choice between more DPS and more RPS. What you choose is up to you.
    Do Glancing Blow calculations still work like they did back in ICC? I recall Feral was actually able to Crit hard cap back but forget if that actually meant if every attack they made would crit.

Do Glancing Blow calculations still work like they did back in ICC? I recall Feral was actually able to Crit hard cap back but forget if that actually meant if every attack they made would crit.
    If you mean that bosses have a 24% to cause a glancing blow on white attack that cannot be removed by anything, then yes.

Wow than RoR ist really bad, if you are at high crit already? Basicly next tier we will be critsoftcapped. How effective will haste be once you reach that point. I mean in terms of RPS? Next tier legendary weapon ill also come into play, let see the proc. But actually getting to the point of 79% crit, is nice.

Wow than RoR ist really bad, if you are at high crit already? Basicly next tier we will be critsoftcapped.
    It's about as much RPS gain as any other trinket, but a LOT more DPS.

Basicly next tier we will be critsoftcapped. How effective will haste be once you reach that point. I mean in terms of RPS?
    The same as it is now really. It'll just be like 10x more effective than Crit rather than slightly worse.

Next tier legendary weapon ill also come into play, let see the proc. But actually getting to the point of 79% crit, is nice.
    It's pretty silly if you ask me. But yeah, it makes me lol.

I'll go on ahead and play devil's advocate on this subject, since I'm feeling in the mood.

Where Haste becomes more valuable than Crit, beyond just DPS/RPS, is for T&C procs and possibly RPPM-related items (like the legendary DPS meta, or even trinkets). The technical equilibrium would be when your Mangles/auto-attack crits begin to lag behind extra auto-attacks generating more rage over the course of an encounter. From a DPS standpoint, Crit will win since all of our abilities can crit and our auto-attacks contribute a minority of our overall damage with respect to other abilities, especially at higher Vengeance.

I'm actually looking forward to the gearing choices next tier, because of how much latent rage generation will likely be present. Having already-high RPS innately allows us to customize our Guardians w/o having to worry about RPS. Perhaps there will be enough armor/mastery to allow gearing towards armor cap without lowering our RPS to the point where we would desire extra rage. Even in current content, I find myself rage-capping often even if I spam Maul on CD, and I'm not pure RPS-built... I suppose Areille has it right saying it will be pretty silly next tier!
    Last edited by exochaft; 2013-05-04 at 05:53 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Just to be clear if you have 79% crit all your autoattacks will be a crit or a glancing blow? Or when you autoattack 100 times you get 24 glancing but you still need 100% crit for the other 76 hits to crit?

It will be funny if you are able to obtain a 541 head and keep the meta next tier,cause i doubt you will be able to put it in a new tier head. With even higher crit values and more haste. I will be insane.

Just to be clear if you have 79% crit all your autoattacks will be a crit or a glancing blow?
    Against a boss, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Viromand View Post
    It will be funny if you are able to obtain a 541 head and keep the meta next tier,cause i doubt you will be able to put it in a new tier head. With even higher crit values and more haste. I will be insane.
    While it might slightly derail a little from the main thread, the scaling of the legendary DPS meta for Guardians into the next tier is an issue that can relate to our crit values. For those that do not know, the legendary DPS meta proc uses our melee crit chance, which is why it contributes so much towards our damage (just an FYI, on 25man heroic fights the total Lightning Strikes proc damage always beats my total auto-attack damage... another haste vs crit point ). Since our secondary stats, specifically haste and crit, will be inflating to higher levels next tier, I wonder if Blizz will have to reign in the meta for Guardians.

I suppose the answer revolves around what Blizz specifically wants to happen with the meta gems in 5.4. If they're supposed to go away like Sha-Touched weapons, Blizz will have to make it so that Guardians would want to upgrade to the newest helms (likely a targeted proc/damage reduction at Guardians, or more likely a blanket reduction in the power of the meta gem to force all classes to stop using them). If the meta gems are supposed to be used into the next tier, our haste/crit/Vengeance levels will likely determine if we receive a reduction in power.

More in line with the main discussion of the thread, we're likely going to see our RPS not being our main focus, but rather our DPS output with respect to crit/haste values. However, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, because Guardians could be changed in 5.4 to alter how we views our stats and what they provide.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2013-05-04 at 08:31 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

It seems unlikely to me that they would just flat out prevent you from using it in helms next tier, that would lead to this awkward decision between a higher item level item vs the gem and would possibly have a different answer on a spec-to-spec basis, which would be very messy. Imo, they're a lot more likely to let it continue on into next tier like the Eye of the Black Prince.

It's pretty likely they'll nerf it for tanks, either in the short term or the long term, anyway.
    Last edited by aggixx; 2013-05-04 at 11:21 PM.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer