Poll: Should the US invest in a nation-wide high speed rail network?

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    If they model this on European or Japanese Trains then 16 hours on a train would be far superior to the 3.5 to 4 hour flight. Also that 3.5 to 4 hour flight is more realistically 6-8 hours (if you're lucky) since you're not accounting for how early you have to arrive at an airport, time it takes to board, time it takes to taxi, take off land, etc.
    Aside from that, the majority of people don't travel the whole trip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    I'd still take the hour flight to Chicago over the ~4 hour train ride. I like getting where I'm going as quickly as possible (unless, the price is right).
    Except you have to get to the airport 1.5 hours early for the flight, and unless you're doing carry on only, you have to wait for the baggage claim afterwards. So really you end up saving maybe an hour if you're lucky, and even then, the whole trip is just far less pleasant. Plus, the flight has far worse environmental impacts than the train.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ult92 View Post
    Keep in mind, some of the longer trips can be done overnight. Japan has "sleeper cars" which you can reserve a head of time. It's essentially like staying in a small hotel room overnight, except you are traveling while sleeping. Effective use of time!
    I consider getting to my destination as quickly as I can so I can enjoy my vacation/work trip an effective use of time.

I consider getting to my destination as quickly as I can so I can enjoy my vacation/work trip an effective use of time.
    Well if you have mobile WiFi, just work remotely and don't take vacation time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd still take the hour flight to Chicago over the ~4 hour train ride. I like getting where I'm going as quickly as possible (unless, the price is right).
    I take commuter flights from New York to DC all the time. The flight is only 40 minutes, but it is misleading. I arrive at the airport AT LEAST 1 hour before boarding begins (which in itself is usually 20 minutes before scheduled depart time). Security lines are often long and I've almost missed the fight a few times (last week I stood in a security line at Newark airport, for, yes, 1 hour). The time it takes to simply taxi, wait in the takeoff line, possible delays (which happens more often than not on the small planes I fly), 40 minute flight time, taxing again, then getting my checked bag. It all ends up taking almost equal time as simply driving there.

Guess what? It becomes a 4 hour ordeal to fly.
    Last edited by Ult92; 2013-05-03 at 06:32 PM.
    "The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead."
    -John Maynard Keynes-

10+ Year Old Account
    I take commuter flights from New York to DC all the time. The flight is only 40 minutes, but it is misleading. I arrive at the airport AT LEAST 1 hour before boarding begins (which in itself is usually 20 minutes before scheduled depart time). Security lines are often long and I've almost missed the fight a few times (last week I stood in a security line at Newark airport, for, yes, 1 hour). The time it takes to simply taxi, wait in the takeoff line, possible delays (which happens more often than not on the small planes I fly), 40 minute flight time, taxing again, then getting my checked bag. It all ends up taking almost equal time as simply driving there.

Guess what? It becomes a 4 hour ordeal to fly.
    And you think none of those things will happen with a nationwide rail system?

10+ Year Old Account
    Minneapolis to Los Angeles in around 16 hours? No thanks, I'll stick to the 3.5 to 4 hour flight.
    4 hours plus several more at security and a complimentary colonoscopy.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Yep. I've ridden the Amtrak train several times, and they don't even check your luggage, plus I don't have to wait forever to get my luggage; I just pick it up on my off of the train. Also, with Amtrak you only need to arrive like 30 minutes ahead of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Highly unlikely. As I said, the train system is Japan is effective. Trains are always on time, delays are rare, you bring your bag with you. Don't have to wait in a security line. Even my experiences with Amtrak (which sucks) have been more more pleasant than the fights. You just get to the station 20-30 minutes before, board, and then get off.

Last month I had my flight diverted from DC to Philadelphia mid-air (because of weather problems), and then I was just on my own to take a train or flight to Dulles (the other, farther away airport). Very stressful. I was supposed to arrive in DC at 8:00 AM (6:40 AM fight). Left for the airport at 4:30 AM and didn't get in to downtown DC until 3PM. Nightmare.
    Last edited by Ult92; 2013-05-03 at 06:47 PM.
    "The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead."
    -John Maynard Keynes-

Economic Implications

I actually consider the economic implications of such a high speed rail network. The ability to travel 220 miles in an hour opens up longer commutes for individuals in rural and urban areas, allowing companies to open outside of these big cities lowering operating costs and creating more jobs. This also forces major cities to stay competitive, really interesting if it happens could be great. Planes are great but train technology is far from done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Highly unlikely. As I said, the train system is Japan is effective. Trains are always on time, delays are rare, you bring your bag with you. Don't have to wait in a security line. Even my experiences with Amtrak (which sucks) has been more more pleasant than the fights.

Last month I had my flight diverted from DC to Philadelphia (because of weather problems), and then I was just on my own to take a train the rest of the way. Very stressful. I was supposed to arrive in DC at 8:00 AM (6:40 AM fight). Left for the airport at 4:30 AM and didn't get in to downtown DC until 3PM. Nightmare.

You just get to the station 20-30 minutes before, board, and then get off.
    We are not Japan.

Deleted
    Train > flying even in Finland. Hell, train > bus here. If only there were tracks to every town. Also, train is almost half the cost of a bus ride here. I don't know how it's over there, but 50% the cost, come on.

Also, I've only had bad experiences at airports in Finland, and we're talking about Finland and Finnair here. Should be quality shit, but you'd be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merite View Post
    It's already being built or 100% planned to be built between San Francisco and LA. They want to grow it out even more, basically make all of California have their own high speed. I feel like it would work in California very well. I could see it working very well on the east coast as well, though due to population, building such a track would be difficult, it's very outdated..

I don't see a cross-country one really.. I would imagine it would be cheaper to fly from LA to Texas or east coast to west coast.

I'm all for it though, we could use the infrastructure improved.

P.S. If our score is a D-, then I guess the rest of the world is completely failing.
    Unfortunately, the high speed rail in California is going to be in limbo for years at this point. The price tag keeps going up and they're still in the planning and designing stage. It's, not surprisingly, being very badly managed. Even if it does get off the ground, there's a vocal group of residents who are convinced the rail line is going to cut straight through their properties and overburden the area with more human traffic.

I don't think they'll even start digging for another two years at the earliest.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are not Japan.
    Now don't know if troll. The point of this thread is that we want to become like Japan. Or Europe, for that matter.

Or I suppose we can just make due with the crap we have because, oh yes, "we are not Japan." This is the US, I guess there's just no way we can beat other advanced, post industrialized democracies at anything (except defense spending).
    -John Maynard Keynes-

We are not Japan.
    Obviously...Did you have a point other than stating the obvious?

10+ Year Old Account
    alternative to flying, worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talokami View Post
    Unfortunately, the high speed rail in California is going to be in limbo for years at this point. The price tag keeps going up and they're still in the planning and designing stage. It's, not surprisingly, being very badly managed. Even if it does get off the ground, there's a vocal group of residents who are convinced the rail line is going to cut straight through their properties and overburden the area with more human traffic.

I don't think they'll even start digging for another two years at the earliest.
    Well too bad for them. Eminent domain, suckas!

10+ Year Old Account
    Did no one see the legend? I am not taking a 16 hr train to New York over a 6 hr flight.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Did no one see the legend? I am not taking a 16 hr train to New York over a 6 hr flight.
    Right. Just like you're not going to try to walk from Japan to San Francisco. You use the right tool for the right job. Trains are great for a sleeper overnight trip, or for a shorter distance trip, or for enjoying the view of the countryside while you travel, or for comfort while traveling. That doesn't mean it completely and totally replaces air travel for some trips.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Well too bad for them. Eminent domain, suckas!
    Yeah well it's going to end in San Francisco, so you can be assured someone will be there to protest it.

Actually, reading up on the saga of the California High Speed Rail is a great example of why a project like this just is not going to work in the present socio-political climate.

The original plan was proposed in 2008 and has turned into a massive clusterfuck: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...igh-Speed_Rail.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.