Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Asia and China -> not to be used interchangeably

Stop referring to pandaria as "Asian". It's purely Chinese. It's like using American to refer only to people living inside the USA.

This is Asia:

Afghanistan
    Armenia
    Azerbaijan
    Bahrain
    Bangladesh
    Bhutan
    Brunei
    Burma
    Cambodia
    China (PRC)
    East Timor
    Georgia
    Hong Kong SAR of China
    India
    Indonesia
    Iran
    Iraq
    Israel
    Japan
    Jordan
    Kazakhstan
    North Korea
    South Korea
    Kuwait
    Kyrgyzstan
    Laos
    Lebanon
    Macau SAR of China
    Malaysia
    Maldives
    Mongolia
    Nepal
    Oman
    Pakistan
    Papua New Guinea
    Philippines
    Qatar
    Republic of China (Taiwan)
    Russia
    Saudi Arabia
    Sri Lanka
    Syria
    Tajikistan
    Thailand
    Turkmenistan
    United Arab Emirates
    Uzbekistan
    Vietnam
    Yemen

Deleted
    You forgot Turkey and maybe more.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just as dont use EU and contries inside EU
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElvenArcher View Post
    Stop referring to pandaria as "Asian". It's purely Chinese. It's like using American to refer only to people living inside the USA.
    I get your point but where else do you find Americans rather than the USA? The definition of American is those from or of the United States. That doesn't really make sense. A better one would be using England, Great Britain and the United Kingdom interchangeably. England is a country inside Great Britain. Great Britain is England Wales Scotland (and Cornwall). United Kingdom is Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Nah im pretty sure pandaria is themed after one of many asian cultures. See what i did there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I get your point but where else do you find Americans rather than the USA? The definition of American is those from or of the United States. That doesn't really make sense. A better one would be using England, Great Britain and the United Kingdom interchangeably. England is a country inside Great Britain. Great Britain is England Wales Scotland (and Cornwall). United Kingdom is Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    Because Canadians and Mexicans are also American. As with everyone from Central and South America.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The big 4 in East Asia (China, Japan, Korea, India) are about the 4 most different countries you could imagine.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Are you telling me that everyone living on the continents of America are from the United states?

Russia is def not asian, and most of these listed fall under middle east.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarath View Post
    Are you telling me that everyone living on the continents of America are from the United states?
    Nope, noones that stupid but recently I have wondered. I just googled the definition and what I posted was what came up. Guess the meaning extends then but I've never heard anyone use the term American to mean anything outside the USA. Literally, never. I've only ever heard Canadian, Mexican, American, or South American and then sometimes breaking South American down into other bits. Probably my fault then but I have never ever heard anyone from South America refer to themselves as American.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoboRanger View Post
    Russia is def not asian, and most of these listed fall under middle east.
    The majority of Russia's territory is in Asia.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    The majority of Russia's territory is in Asia.
    And that's where we fall into the question of "Asia" or "Asian."

Russia and part of the Mid-east is Asia. But they are clearly not Asian.

Asian means East Asia.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, noones that stupid but recently I have wondered. I just googled the definition and what I posted was what came up. Guess the meaning extends then but I've never heard anyone use the term American to mean anything outside the USA. Literally, never. I've only ever heard Canadian, Mexican, American, or South American and then sometimes breaking South American down into other bits. Probably my fault then but I have never ever heard anyone from South America refer to themselves as American.

i think Spain has a word for people from the US, it translates to something like unitesstatsien (think it was spain) but we should all start using that to stop confusion :P

but i agree with you, when someone says "american" you know they are talking about someone from the US, you would never hear anyone say "hes an American" when talking about someone from mexico.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post

Asian means East Asia.
    A sizable part of Russia's population have Mongolian features and would be described as Asian.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post

Asian means East Asia.
    Asian means of Asia....just bcoz they are white they are not asian? me myself i like calling them eurasian just like turkish people.

also to the op... just bcoz you dont see it doesnt mean there arent other asian influences other than from china.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Because Canadians and Mexicans are also American. As with everyone from Central and South America.
    Actually you are wrong. When do Canadians and Mexicans call themselves Americans? Also you forget that the USA stands for United States of America. The American comes from the America part. It is more correct to refer Canadians, Mexicans and Americans as North Americans if you wanted to group them. People from South America would be South Americans. This post also towards the opening.
    Last edited by Theendgamelv3; 2013-05-05 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godavari View Post
    Asian means of Asia....just bcoz they are white they are not asian? me myself i like calling them eurasian just like turkish people.

also to the op... just bcoz you dont see it doesnt mean there arent other asian influences other than from china.
    Really? The only other influences I saw were from Trolls and Silithid, both of which are not real nations, so I would hope.

Give me some examples.

There are a lot of japanse references in Mists, not just chinese as you make it out to be.

America is a bad example cause technically canadians and mexicans are American, North American that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theendgamelv3 View Post
    Actually you are wrong. When do Canadians and Mexicans call themselves Americans? Also you forget that the USA stands for United States of America. The American comes from the America part. It is more correct to refer Canadians, Mexicans and Americans as North Americans if you wanted to group them. People from South America would be South Americans.
    Well, according to a more in depth google search, technically anyone from the "Americas" can call themselves American. However, in usage in the English language, Canadians and Mexicans tend to take offense to being called American and it's only meant to refer to someone from the USA. In Spanish, American would be used to mean anyone from the Americas. French, like English, differentiates though. So technically they're correct and I'm incorrect but the English language does make a distinction but it's a pretty personal choice as to whether you employ it.