Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Could the Game Function Without DBM/BW?

This thread is coming off of http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...9237026?page=1
    in which the thread pertains to people picking 3 addons they would install if they could only have 3 in-game, and almost everyone in there listed DBM/BW in their list.

It came to me that Raiders and even PvPs/Arena goers are all carried by Deadly Boss Boss Mods or other alternatives like Big Wigs. I've been playing wow for over 6 years now and watching kills videos, live streams and even playing with various guilds over time, people just tend to yell at you if you don't have it installed.

The thing with boss mods are that you are able to see everything an encounter is going to throw at you before it even happens. PvP players know when flags are going to re-spawn and when objectives and mines are going to be captured etc.

Imagine a world without boss mods in which players would would to mentally keep track of the last time a boss did a certain attack or how long it has been since I started to capture the Lumber Mill.

In conclusion, do you think that DBM/BW is just a huge handicap to players when it essentially is doing all of the underlying work for you? Would you as an individual player be able to cope without the addon, like in a scenario where Blizz just said boss mods are no longer allowed?

I didn't pick up DBM till midway through TBC, did fine all through vanilla. I personally can do w/o them but I am sure we all know plenty of ppl who can barely manage fights with DBM/BW

There would definitely be an adjustment period, but, when I first started wow I played without any mods at all. I started raiding back before TBC came out, and I didn't use a single mod until Karazhan. I've just been spoiled by add-ons telling me when to move, when to blow cd's, etc. Doesn't mean I couldn't go back to using none, would just take a while.

There's Some things as a tank that would be close to impossible now

Horridon heroic is good example if i dont get a SotR off before a triple puncture i die and there is no other way to tell when its coming aside from a timer in DBM

Quote Originally Posted by Thedude View Post

Horridon heroic is good example if i dont get a SotR off before a triple puncture i die and there is no other way to tell when its coming aside from a timer in DBM
    Yeah with the timing required in heroic raiding I could see it being needed, like in your example, for a timer more than anything else. In normal raiding though most bosses give a verbal warning or emote before they do anything that is going to be massive damage, or require a cooldown.

No.

Vanilla gameplay was very elementary. All the fights that are given to us are built around the notion that boss mods will be used. The amount of abilities with tight timers that are intricate to a fight are woven into that concept.

If we wanted to see them removed, Blizzard would have to design different encounters.

(All of this is from the heroic perspective-- obviously LFR abilities that do no punish you for mistakes make the need for boss mods irrelevant.)

Xpariah
    , Protection Warrior
    Xdh, Vengeance Demon Hunter
    Reckoning, Usually Recruiting
    YouTube & Twitch, Warrior & DH Tank PoV

Raid encounters wouldn't be nearly as complex without boss addons.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless the timers and audio ques were folded in game than removing DBM/BW would force boss fights to be completely revamped into the more tank and spank variety.
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

I think encounters are have been designed with addons like Big Wigs and DBM in mind for a few years now. Players create better addons to make encounters easier and Blizzard responds by making encounters more complicated. Its sort of an arms race between players and devs.

Todays encounters have timers that are very complex. I imagine Blizzard would need to lower the overall difficulty if they wanted the same number of players to keep raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Thedude View Post

If Blizzard where to kill mods like these, they would give you another way to let you know its coming. Either via there own alert system, or by some visual/audio queue. In classic dragons (and mag) the ground would shake before fear, letting you know to go into zerker stance and pop zerker rage, then back to def.

As for subject, yes, people will adapt and Blizzard would design the encounters to be used without them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back in the TBC era, Blizzard started designing the encounters assuming everyone is running bossmods.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Didnt read what you had to say. But yes it can I have no idea what BM is but I know people that have done raids with NO Addons just the reg blizzard UI

10+ Year Old Account
    In all my time playing WoW, I've used DBM once. I never personally liked those mods. Just added clutter to my screen. I used DBM during Wrath raiding of ICC when I was with a guild that required it. Other than that, I've done well for a fairly casual raider (by that I mean I didn't rush to clear anything and was never with guilds that did. Progression is fun, but the stress is not.) I don't really consider these mods a handicap, but they aren't necessary imo.

as others have mentioned, bosses are designed around people having boss mods now.

without the boss mods, it'd be a case of literally who can flawlessly predict very important things in the fight and get the timing right, failing to perfect the timing results in a wipe....doesn't sound very fun does it.

in the cause of megaera you would have someone just counting down on TS/vent/mumble etc. so people know when it's going to end, people looking at ingame stopwatches to get ji-kun's nests timing.

heroic sha without addons would be the biggest asshole in WoW, i couldn't imagine doing that fight without addons, not saying no-one could do it, just that it would literally be as the achievement says THE MIND KILLER for 20 damn minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by timtim89 View Post
    Didnt read what you had to say. But yes it can I have no idea what BM is but I know people that have done raids with NO Addons just the reg blizzard UI
    DBM stands for Deadly Boss Mods, and BW for Big Wigs. Both are addons that show you things like timers for when boss abilities are coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by timtim89 View Post
    BW* not BM, and its BigWigs.

and what raids? cause there's a very very very big difference between normal mode, or heroic mode on farm, and cutting edge kills.

Honestly, while it's possible (see most PTR/Beta content) I think it'd be very hard. The boss mod addons are pretty much standardized now and I recall hearing somewhere that even Blizzard designs encounters around the fact that you'll have some kind of boss timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    as others have mentioned, bosses are designed around people having boss mods now.

without the boss mods, it'd be a case of literally who can flawlessly predict very important things in the fight and get the timing right, failing to perfect the timing results in a wipe....doesn't sound very fun does it.

in the cause of megaera you would have someone just counting down on TS/vent/mumble etc. so people know when it's going to end, people looking at ingame stopwatches to get ji-kun's nests timing.

heroic sha without addons would be the biggest asshole in WoW, i couldn't imagine doing that fight without addons, not saying no-one could do it, just that it would literally be as the achievement says THE MIND KILLER for 20 damn minutes.
    But you can tell when rampage is going to end, and as for nests theirs a nice red pillar of light there, and besides don't they follow a static pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
    But you can tell when rampage is going to end, and as for nests theirs a nice red pillar of light there, and besides don't they follow a static pattern?
    people rotate cooldowns and do a roar to spread etc, and getting to the nests before the red light comes is much better, i'm talking heroic, if i'm getting to the nest after the red light spawns sometimes thats a little late and extra eggs are laid.

with the evolution of raiding to incorporate new tacts it would be either impossible or very difficult to raid without an addon such as DBM, it is essential to time raid saving cooldowns and such.

It is possible however without the use of any addons that player would be much less effective, it creates a much less enjoyable raiding experience when bad players who dont use these essential addons that improve performance.

Basically if you are like me and want to play your best then these addons are essential, if your a casual and dont care about performance then dont use them and be a bad player.