ji-kun 10man normal nest team question

hi all,
    after the weekend our team is going for ji-kun for the first time. yes, this is 10man and normal.

after reading all kinds of threads and guides one thing is not clear to me: I'm thinking as some suggest with going with one nest team (disc priest, frost mage, ele shaman and maybe fury warrior - if that matters) however as I understand past 7th nest you get both upper and lower activated at the same time. is that true? if so how can a one team handle that? or did I screw up something and there is no such case?

would love some clarification on this and any tips for nest team are welcome.

thanks so much

It's platforms 9 & 10 that go simultaneously, so the 9th spawn.
    On normal you should have the boss low enough to use bloodlust and burn before or at this point and just ignore it.

My guild killed him last night on our third attempt, we three healed it and separated two groups:
    Group 1: Two of our best dps and a healer.
    Group 2: The other three dps and a healer.

Group 1:first and second nests(lower) then use their spare charges to get some Primal Nutriment buffs.
    Group 2:nests 3, 4, 5 and 6 (3 is lower, 4, 5 and 6 are upper), they can't waste any charges for this.
    Group 1: 7 and 8(lower)

This is where you get two at once, here we have group 1 go upper and group 2 gets the lower nest.
    Group 2 then gets activations 11 and 12, which are also upper.

Thats in theory tho, when we got the kill ppl started making mistakes around the 8th nest, we lost a dps and let a lot of juveniles spawn.
    Boss still had 25% left when we popped hero, started ignoring nests and burned him down.

Good luck!

You can probably take 3 people only on the nests.

Send a 4th down occasionally to pick up feathers so that if the juveniles get away then the "4th" person can fly up above the boss and kill them so they dont "cheep" you to death.

Another thing to note is, if your DPS is strong enugh, you can get away with sending only a DPS and a healer up to the high nests and just let the other DPS eat the food she spits out. I (frost mage) do this routinely with our resto shaman; the high eggs occasionally do hatch, but they are low enough that they die shortly after.

Otherwise, I highly recommend you split into two groups. You're going to need to, anyhow, because nests #9 and #10 come up at the same time. We have a team with myself, the aforementioned resto shaman, and another DPS handle nests 1, 3 and 8 (with myself and the shaman handling nests 4, 5, 6, 10, 11 and 12 [i.e. the high nests] as well). We then have another team that handles nests 2, 7 and 9. The reason for this is to maximize the amount of people with feather charges on the main platform, who can then use them to fly up and absorb the bright green feed pools which would otherwise need to be soaked up, lest the platform become one big green swimming pool. Also, when 5 DPS are getting that 100% damage buff from intercepting the feed during high nests, she tends to die very quickly. For us, it's usually just as the nest #12 eggs are hatching.

I don't remember there being a double spawn on 10man normal. Maybe we never got to that point though.

What we do with our alt run, is clear the bottom 3 nests with 2 groups so everyone gets a feather. Everyone gets a nutriment, pop lust and burn the boss.

We use a destro lock and a boomkin on the nests currently though our first kill was with 2 destro locks. This is due to the strong self healing and absorbs of both. We don't have anyone else on the nests. The times we have killed the chicken we went through two nests cycles, and then just burn the boss.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikinitos View Post
    My guild killed him last night on our third attempt, we three healed it and separated two groups:
    Group 1: Two of our best dps and a healer.
    Group 2: The other three dps and a healer.

Group 1:first and second nests(lower) then use their spare charges to get some Primal Nutriment buffs.
    Group 2:nests 3, 4, 5 and 6 (3 is lower, 4, 5 and 6 are upper), they can't waste any charges for this.
    Group 1: 7 and 8(lower)

This is where you get two at once, here we have group 1 go upper and group 2 gets the lower nest.
    Group 2 then gets activations 11 and 12, which are also upper.

Thats in theory tho, when we got the kill ppl started making mistakes around the 8th nest, we lost a dps and let a lot of juveniles spawn.
    Boss still had 25% left when we popped hero, started ignoring nests and burned him down.

Good luck!
    That's really unnecessarily complicated. Why not just have 2 dps and 1 heal do all the nests ? Boss is at burn stage by time both nests spawn so you just all stick to main platform and pew pew pew.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Assign only one group. 2 DDs should be sufficient, thou it may be neat to let a third DD grab a feather to collect the feeding buff. Let your Nestgroup kill on eof the nestspawns of 9th and 10th nest, ignoring the other one (9 and 10 consists of 2 nests each). Let them then jump down, Bloodlust, done. CDs should be kept for that phase. burning 20%-30% is a matter of a minute max. the four adds, which spawned, won´t wipe you. don´t forget, that you have a healer more on Ji-kun´s platform when you start ignoring the nests.

thanks all - some good tips there

Something else to keep in mind is that if you send 3 people down, there will be 1 extra feather per lower platform. We assigned one DPS to each lower platform to get the extra feather. You want to assign it because if you go down too late the feather will have despawned. This way you send them down with the group, but then they just come right back up once they have their feather, and start collecting nutrient buffs.

Here's how we did it:

2 tank/2 heals/ 6 dps

2 dps on the nest team - spriest and warlock. Our self heals were enough to handle all the damage.

We did the lower three nests, picking up feathers on the first and third. We then skipped the first upper nest - it's always hard with just one team*, and did the other two uppers. We then did the bottom three again and burned the last little bit.

We tried just doing the first three lowers and going full burn. If we'd had our normal raid team we'd have made it, but with two filler dps we were a little short.

*It takes two separate flights to get from the 3rd lower to the first upper, so we couldn't get both the birds anyway. And the extra flight made it much easier to get back to the lowers.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Our raid does it as follows:

Tanks: Blood DK, Prot Warrior
    Healers: Holy Paladin, Holy Priest, Resto Shaman
    DPS: Balance Druid, Retribution Paladin, Assassination Rogue, Beast Mastery Hunter, Elemental Shaman

Our Nest team is the H-Pal, Ele-Sham, and Hunter.

Nest team goes as normal. After the 4th lower nest (5th, upper nest is spawning) we bloodlust so the uppers are easier to kill.
    On nest 8, the Retribution Paladin joins the nest team, and they kill the ensuing lower nests (we allow the upper one on the double-activation to hatch). When the next upper-only nests activate, they return to the platform and burn to kill.

Don't worry about the double nests- it only happens once- even if your group isn't quite at burn phase at that point, you can just let the upper one go through. Healing will be a little tougher, but that's how my group's been doing it since we first downed it at the end of March.

At around 30%, everyone hits the platform, and we hero and burn, ignoring nests the rest of the way.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    My guild, for what we did, we had an SV Hunter, Ele Sham, and Holy Paladin do the nests. I was the SV Hunter. I'd pop my dots on the boss and we'd kill the nests pretty fast. We pretty much ignored the food buff because we killed them easily without it. Once we got to around the 8th - 9th nest, he'd be at around 25%. We'd ignore the rest of the nests and lust and burn. It really depends on your raid comp though. We only have one melee so it was pretty easy for us. GL.