Deleted

Help to new lock chose spec for 10 man Thunder

Hello to all.

After few changes in our guild roster, i must reroll to warlock. I manage to level it to 90 on Destro spec.
    Can you give me advice witch speck to choise for 10man Thunder HC.

Will be hard for me to learn all 3 spec, so i must start with one of then and may be wich is better for 10man. I dont seach witch of them is easy to play i need advice who is better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pripadnal View Post
    Hello to all.

After few changes in our guild roster, i must reroll to warlock. I manage to level it to 90 on Destro spec.
    Can you give me advice witch speck to choise for 10man Thunder HC.

Will be hard for me to learn all 3 spec, so i must start with one of then and may be wich is better for 10man. I dont seach witch of them is easy to play i need advice who is better.
    Destruction is a overall good spec for ToT.

Its basicly good or decent on all fights, but Council. Aff / Demo is better on some fights, but not by a huge margin.

Deleted
    U can play destro on almost all fights in ToT. But on like council the other 2 specs are better, and on Lei Shen hc demo is the best. But on the rest you can play destro. (depending on ur tactic maybe its better with affli on primordius too)

New to lock this expac and have to learn a spec quickly, go with Destruction. Viable on all fights, not hard to pick up and do well with. For your second choice I'd go with Demo because it's insanely fun to play on Lei Shen haha

Stay Destruction as mainspec, and demonology as offspec. Aim for "haste 8097>=mastery>haste>>crit*" and get the T15 2pc and Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen asap. These 3 items will impact your dps very, very heavily and lend you a playstyle that's easily adaptable to any and all encounters and should yield you highly competitive dps for low skill input**. If your guild will be swapping over to heroics relatively fast, try to aim for getting item pieces with either hit, mastery or haste on them, try and steer completely away from crit as a stat. You should be able to reach the 8097 breakpoint with little effort, and because of the UVLS trinket, crit is almost completely devalued.

With that build, you'll be able to provide:
    - Competitive burst on-pull.
    - Best multidoting dps.
    - Insane cleave (Destruction GoSac with mastery instead of haste).
    - Steady single target through whatever spec of your choice.
    - Most likely best long-term and guaranteed best burst aoe through either spec, but most likely demo.

By speccing and gearing like I suggested, you put yourself in a position where you'll be able to fill literally any role a dps can fill. You have the potential to be the top dps on Horridon, Council, Tortos, Megaera, Primordius, Durumu and still do very good on the other fights. THat's more than can be said for for instance hunters, warriors, ferals, shadow priests etc which do have their niches, but suffer on certain fights. In this build, you simply won't have any fights where you perform bad.

*About the stat weights: you'll find countless discussions about wether or not full haste will be theoretically higher dps as demonology, and I'm not here to debate that claim. HOWEVER, what I do know for a 100% certain fact is that having a fair amount of mastery will make you better at cleaving as destro, and still boost your single target as demo. Keeping the two stats fairly close allows you to use the two specs without touching gemming / reforging as long as you pick the correct spec on a fight-by-fight basis.
    **Disclaimer: While Destruction undoubtedly is the easier spec to learn to perform decent in, sadly the same cannot be said for demonology. If you're putting in the same effort with demo as you are with destro, you can't expect the same results - demonology just has that many more variables to take into account that few mistakes quickly will snowball and destroy your dps. I would recommend Affliction, but as you said you're starting ToT, I actually won't do that since Destruction is so much easier to perform well in at lower itemlevels than Affliction.

edit: Just noticed you're starting heroic, not normal. My recommendation is more in tune for normal, but still perfectly viable for heroics. Affliction may pull ahead if you're a better affliction-player than Destruction, and in that case I'd swap out Destruction with Affliction but still keep demonology.

Hope this serves some use for you. Good luck!
    Last edited by Alarinth; 2013-05-05 at 09:37 AM.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

Deleted
    Would advise sticking to Destro till you get some gear.

Affli is a good spec, but it is gear dependant atm. To make affli work at it's best, you need a) Legendary meta, b) 2 RPPM trinkets, c) Enough haste/mastery (but mostly haste). Those give a huge increase to Affli DPS, and until you have them it lags behind the other 2 specs a fair bit.

To make Demo work well, you really need the Unerring Vision of Lei Shen trinket. If you have it, then by all means go Demo, but it is imo the hardest spec of the 3 to play well and has the least margin for error (especially with the trinket, as the proc window is quite small so you need to be able to react to it quickly).

Destro atm works at any gear level, and is perfectly competitive and indeed the highest lock DPS spec on certain fights that have multiple adds (Horridon HC is a good example). It is also not the most difficult of specs, so you can do well without having to play to the best ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumble View Post
    Would advise sticking to Destro till you get some gear.

Affli is a good spec, but it is gear dependant atm. To make affli work at it's best, you need a) Legendary meta, b) 2 RPPM trinkets, c) Enough haste/mastery (but mostly haste). Those give a huge increase to Affli DPS, and until you have them it lags behind the other 2 specs a fair bit.

To make Demo work well, you really need the Unerring Vision of Lei Shen trinket. If you have it, then by all means go Demo, but it is imo the hardest spec of the 3 to play well and has the least margin for error (especially with the trinket, as the proc window is quite small so you need to be able to react to it quickly).

Destro atm works at any gear level, and is perfectly competitive and indeed the highest lock DPS spec on certain fights that have multiple adds (Horridon HC is a good example). It is also not the most difficult of specs, so you can do well without having to play to the best ability.
    Okay, okay enough. You don't need a legendary meta and 2 RPPM trinket for affliction to "work". People are going too far with this stuff. And you definitely don't need UVLS for Demo to "work". Demo is just overpowered with it. The things you are listing is to make those specs move to the top in sims. Not the viability of the specs. Remember, Affliction was viable in heroic blues in early T14. It didn't get nerfed that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Okay, okay enough. You don't need a legendary meta and 2 RPPM trinket for affliction to "work". People are going too far with this stuff. And you definitely don't need UVLS for Demo to "work". Demo is just overpowered with it. The things you are listing is to make those specs move to the top in sims. Not the viability of the specs. Remember, Affliction was viable in heroic blues in early T14. It didn't get nerfed that hard.
    Since the OP just started playing a Warlock, I still think Dumble's advice is good, however wrong you may think it is. If he decides to play affliction in 496 ilvl, he'll have a hell of a lot of a harder time than if he were to start playing Destruction. And regardless of playstyle even, it's a long stretch to claim it's as good as destro / demo in lower ilvls, which was exactly the kind of information he requested.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    You could at least read the whole sentence and not just cherry pick random parts. I said "To make affli work AT IT'S BEST"... you ignored the 'at it's best' part. If the OP has lower gear then he should play Destruction, as it is proven to do better with lower gear.