10N Lei Shen Winds/Whip questions.

Our 10 man is currently working on normal Lei Shen. I did a forum search to dig up some info to help us out on figuring out the best way to deal with transitions and got most of the information I was looking for but I was curious about some things in the 3rd phase that we just have not gotten a good look at yet.

Does he do Lightning Whip in the direction he is facing or can he turn and cast it in any direction?

Do the Violent Gale Winds follow a set pattern? Like do they always start blowing in a direction like North then shift east, south, and west repeating or is it somewhat random?

Also while I'm at it we have been disabling Diffusion Chain, trying out a few different splits for first transition that I think were getting to the point were fine, but I think pushing through phase 2 and surviving the second transition is still an issue.

I'm assuming it is very important to push the second transition without leveling any of the 3 conduits as leveling static shock would make for a ton of damage that we might not be able to soak while leveling overcharge causes too many overcharges that if overlapped while spreading for bouncing bolts could cause some deaths.

Anyways if anyone is interested the comp is..

Prot War, Guard Druid
    Disc Priest, Holy Priest, Holy Pally
    Feral Druid, Unholy/Frost DK, 2x Ele Shaman, Hunter

Not ideal but a fairly good DPS/HPS group that sometimes ranks on WoL.

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey there! I'll answer a few things in order.

Lightning Whip - Targets a player and whips in their direction. We stack behind the boss after his previous abillity but before whip to make him cast it basically off the platform, nullifying the whip making about 2% of it actually on the platform at all. (98% is off into the nether off the edge).

Winds - If I'm not mistaken they always go one way, then opposite that direction next. So if they are going North>South windy direction, next one will be South>North. Then the starting point is random for the next set, but the following is always opposite that direction. That being said, this really shouldn't be a big deal as it doesn't blow you back horribly bad and people should be able to adjust quickly.

Disabling Platforms - Our group goes Diffusion Chain first, then Overcharge. So diffusion to 95% in P1, Over charge to 70ish, then 50 then 50 (If we get there before 1st intermission). Levelling Overcharge really isn't that big of a deal for trasition as you will just have 3 instead of 2... and if you are stacked toward your respective corners for transitions they will not be overlapping.

First off on the last phase lei shen does a very predictable order.
    Winds> thunderstruck> ball lighting. it just keeps following that order over and over again. The main tip i can give you about phase 3 is run with the wind to get away from something and seriously the the HELL away from thunderstruck.

Thanks for the info, I'm probably over thinking phase 3 as I'm sure once we get there cleanly it won't be so bad. The tip about whip had me thinking we can either force it to target off the edge/towards the disabled half of the room or spin it against the upcoming wind so were just blown away from it and have ample time to place thunderstruck away from the boss/melee.

Yeah tbh don't overthink the last phase. The only really important thing is to gtfo from thunderstruck. If anything wipes you it will be this. (Ofc you can't get hit by lightning whip and need to stack to stop adds hopping about but thunderstruck > all)

Its one of those fights where getting into the last phase cleanly is pretty much a kill, much like horridon.

Best thing to remember for p3 is you can cast whilst the winds are pushing you back, and you go so slowly you can actually use them (provided blowing in the right direction) to push you to the edge so the Thunderstruck is dropped far out by default and you maintain 100% dps uptime on boss.

But yeah don't overthink it too much, p3 is basically a kill, you will wipe maybe once in that phase when you first see it, after that it's the easiest part.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

We are going to progress Lei Shen 10 normal tonight. I would like to ask something about intermissions and platforms disabling.

I have read many different tactics: diffusion chains first, static shock first, bouncing bolt first. I thought that diffusion chains would be the least dangerous of the three.
    So
    ... if we disable static shock ... we will have stronger static shock in intermission 1(I1) (due to high energy), but no shock in I2 - Platform assignments would be tank/tank/healer+3dps/healer3+dps
    ... if we disable bouncing bolt ... we will have much weaker static shock in I1 (due to 0 energy preferably), no bouncing bolt in I2 - DOES this allow us to group whole raid on one platform to handle stronger static shock (we have ppl without imunuties - disc priest, shamans, balance druid)?

Or is it just easier to try to survive 90+ energy static shock in I1 and just faceroll I2 in three groups handling bouncing bolts?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skottz View Post
    We are going to progress Lei Shen 10 normal tonight. I would like to ask something about intermissions and platforms disabling.

I have read many different tactics: diffusion chains first, static shock first, bouncing bolt first. I thought that diffusion chains would be the least dangerous of the three.
    So
    ... if we disable static shock ... we will have stronger static shock in intermission 1(I1) (due to high energy), but no shock in I2 - Platform assignments would be tank/tank/healer+3dps/healer3+dps
    ... if we disable bouncing bolt ... we will have much weaker static shock in I1 (due to 0 energy preferably), no bouncing bolt in I2 - DOES this allow us to group whole raid on one platform to handle stronger static shock (we have ppl without imunuties - disc priest, shamans, balance druid)?

Or is it just easier to try to survive 90+ energy static shock in I1 and just faceroll I2 in three groups handling bouncing bolts?
    The reason you disable Diffusion Chain is so that you are able to stack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inferior2 View Post
    The reason you disable Diffusion Chain is so that you are able to stack.
    So in intermission 2 you are already packed for overcharges and shocks and you only have to move to soak the bouncing bolts?
    My raid is progressing on it as well and at least half the group happens to always die horribly in second intermission..
    We usually level the shock because we are already packed and mitigating shouldn't be a problem, but we got to the situation were 3 shocks affected one group..

- Which conduit you disable in second phase? Do you level others?
    - Should we Bloodlust in second phase to prevent conduit leveling for the second intermission? Last phase seems pretty straightforward if all the raid is alive.

In the second phase it doesn't really matter since all those abilities are not present after the intermission. Disable one that is next to the one you previously disabled, so you have a clear half room to work with during last phase.

Personally I think best choice is to go Diffusion Chain - Overcharge, since Overcharge is not very dangerous, you can level it up and makes the p2 dps check about the same as the p1 check (maybe a bit tighter), no hero or extra pots needed. AFter first intermission, start on Static Shock, then go Bouncing Bolts, the go to Overcharge and stay there until the next intermission. If your dps is good you should be able to phase shift him before the double Overcharges start coming in, and you want to try and time it so that you transition just after an Overcharge, having it come in just as the phase switches can be devastating. The Ball Lightnings can be cleaved down by tanks and passive aoe, just have your raid stack in melee after they spawn and continue to single target burn the boss whole time.

You can safely save lust for p3 if you are able to do p1 comfortably - eg, transition when final pillar is at ~70.
    Last edited by Vakna; 2013-05-05 at 01:18 PM.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

What Vekna said is our basic plan, we just have to execute it. Somehow we seem to get caught off guard from inexperience and have some people die to overlapping overcharges when we are either transitioning or spreading for Bouncing bolt.

Also looking at what Skottz was saying, you have to be careful with how you split people. Tanks don't get targeted by abilities so they can solo a platform and usually handle an add if they get two swirls but at the same time your forcing additional abilities into the remaining two sections. If your consistently handling it then no worries but it it sometimes overwhelms a section you might want to spread things out.

As for second transition we go with heal,tank, dps, dps / heal, tank, dps / heal, dps, dps. This gives us a 4,3,3 split with a 3,2,3 split of people that can be targeted. From there choosing what cool downs go in each section for survivability is all that's left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the info guys.
    We cleared the other bosses tonight and tomorrow it's time to give more tries to Lei Shen.
    Hopefully these tips and the few new items we've gathered are enough to bring him down.
    Cheers.

Edit: It works pretty well, we actually improved the raid DPS and the last conduit was only leveling once, granting the double overcharge. Now if all the raidmembers stacked in their position and quickly soaked bolts during the transistion it would be a piece of cake. Let's see tomorrow.
    Last edited by khatsoo; 2013-05-06 at 10:10 PM.

We got him last night.

Down a regular we brought in a back up and started out pretty rough till we made some adjustments on transition splits and got 3 consecutive clean transitions into the last phase where we defeated him on the 3rd.

Thanks all.