HM Jin'rokh, troubles surviving Lightning Storm

We took our first foray into Heroics last week and proceeded to get wiped out by lightning storms for 3 hours. Any help with how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.

Our Raid make-up is -
    Brewmaster monk
    Prot Paladin
    Disc Priest
    Holy paladin
    Resto Druid (balance if 2 healing)
    Spriest
    Balance Druid
    Ret Paladin
    Surv Hunter
    Fire mage.

From what I could see, the Holy pally, hunter, and Mage were having the biggest issues. Also the healers say they are unable to cast much of anything.
    worldoflogs .com /reports
    /rt-yno4csldj03kg0dv/
    If that split up link doesn't work, the guild name is Exiled Mercenaries on US-Proudmoore and the logs in question are the 26 wipes on May 1st.

Any help would be very appreciated, any other info i can supply, just ask. I'll be checking this regularly.

Hello,

Unfortunately I don't have time to go through your logs as I really should go to bed, but I quickly wanted to reply.

Since you're dying on lightning storm, the problem likely is people not dodging the crap. One common mistakes is people waltzing through the pillars, thinking those are perfectly safe, or not even noticing them. Make sure people know there's pillars and that being close to them is generally a bad idea, as it makes dodging stuff harder. The more you are in the middle, the easier it becomes.

Secondly, camera positioning. Most raiders are used to a topside-down ish view of the camera, while in this room this will completely screw you over. Find some vids and show your raiders what a proper camera positioning is to use, because that greatly decreases your fatality ratio.

Thirdly, cooldowns. You have two paladins, that means an aura on every phase. Devo aura will greatly help your survability, so make sure those get used if you're not already. Also, spirit shell before every storm.

Lastly, this is no dps race. While more dps is always a good thing, not in the least for e-peen, a dead dps does no dps I believe the now somewhat corky saying goes. There's no reason to take risks ever on this boss, so make sure people are focused on survival. Most of your players have an immunity cooldown (and I believe your owl can symbiosis one - the resto druid can get iceblock for sure), so only your disc priest has to rely on his shit.

Typically, the first storm is easier to survive because there's more space. I keep my ohfuck bubbles for the second phase. We never get to a third. Of course, aside from immunity cooldowns, regular damage-reduction cooldowns are really wortwhile to use. I realize this may create some DUH reactions from readers, but don't underestimate the amount of players who never use their defensives, and in some cases are not even aware of them.

I hope I helped just a bit. I'm off to bed, and I will see you guys in a week from now.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don´t try to move around in a bulk. Unless your communication is excellent, that won´t work. We found, that splitting up does fine. Everyone watches his own back. If you manage to dodge all lightning bolts you can survive the storm phase without any direct heal. healthstone/hots will be sufficient unless you eat a lot of stuff you shouldnt. Simply get ensidia fails, resett each turn, make it count who keeps failing. We killed the boss when we exchanged the two players who weren´t able to dodge the bolts. Also, birdview + max distance cam helps a lot.

We work the room clock wise, during lightning balls we loosely camp in one of the outcoves with the grate on the floor.
    I think tanks do their own thing and use Cd's.

Hang out on the grates or near walls as you wont have to worry about stuff coming from behind you.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way that my guild has found most successful is to stack up with our backs to the wall on the grates, and move as a group to the other corner of the room. That way if things get scary we can stop, pop a raid CD, and heal up quickly and get back to moving. The phases are pretty short so if we do have to stop and heal, it's usually only once per phase so we have a CD for it every time.
    I'm just here to complain, if I'm being honest

We normally just take care of ourselves, not moving as a group.
    Healers throw up some CD's and that's it really.

Its more or less a matter of staying in range of the healers, and not failing at moving

Deleted
    we have an assigned part of the room too be around so the healers can reach you if you take an hit,
    but for the rest its dodging on your own.

i myself always turn my graphics down just for this fight cause i noticed i kept dieing too much with high graphics. after i switched too low i died a lot less on this mechanic.
    so i can really advise doing that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your answer: Damage Taken from Lightning Defusion

Having someone take NINETY SEVEN balls to the face is just unacceptable, your healers won't be able to heal that. That 10MILLION damage devided by the 27 tries you had is 400k damage each try. For ONE person.

Ask your priest to Spirit Shell before the phase strikes and make sure you're making use of your instant / movewhilecast spells (like Penance, Mending, Holy Fire etc for priests). But honestly the only way you'll be able to kill that boss is by moving correctly out of the balls. The moment you do that right, the boss will die.

Deleted
    The balls appear from the lightning columns, four appear from each one. Be sure to stay at some distance and dodge them. Don't stay at melee of the boss unless you are kinda confident, or you won't see them coming. There is no more to it.

If you want, there is a trick for lightning storm to almost completly neglect the hard part of it...

1) stack in one of the four gates in the room, there are circle patterns on both sides of gate - stack there. When i say stack i mean literally player on a player, thats very important
    2) when those pillars "explode" they all shoot lightnings in four directions - one of which is fixated on random raid member, once you see them all exploded move 20 yards to the other side of gate (other circle pattern on the ground)
    3) watch all lightnings go through the place you were stacked and smile watch for next bath of pillars
    4) when last bath of pillars explode, we usually ran out of that gate area along walls, it is the only tricky part

Obviously this strat means you cannot dps at all in the lightning phase, but then again you basicaly take 0 damage from storm.

Visual guide:

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=3014&e=3332

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lustinus View Post
    Your answer: Damage Taken from Lightning Defusion

Having someone take NINETY SEVEN balls to the face is just unacceptable, your healers won't be able to heal that. That 10MILLION damage devided by the 27 tries you had is 400k damage each try. For ONE person.
    But that is not very much? That is around 4 balls to the face per try or one per lightning storm. Not much.

Quote Originally Posted by inferior2 View Post
    But that is not very much? That is around 4 balls to the face per try or one per lightning storm. Not much.
    Wtf, I had like one hit in ten tries and I felt bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Valium104 View Post
    Wtf, I had like one hit in ten tries and I felt bad.
    Idd, you should strive to dodge every single one.

That's absolutely huge when you are learning the fight! The raid is taking unavoidable aoe damage anyway and healers have their own shit to dodge, they are quite busy without some herpderp eating all that extra damage. Especially since if this is progress, I doubt they are getting all four storms, this is most likely spread over the course of one or two storm phases and a pair of those balls with no defensive cooldown is plenty enough to take someone out.

Really, OP your best chance is one of the cheese tactics posted here, but in all fairness, this is not a hard mechanic to avoid and though I don't know what your guild is aiming for, if your players cannot dodge these, you are going to have a very rough time progressing much further into heroic content this tier.

Deleted
    We also had lots of problems with this fight at the start.

What we did for lightning phase is have people spread out loosely around a marked spot. Some would stay near it, others would wander to where they felt the safest but mindful to always stay within healing range.

If it helps here's the vid of our first kill (Ele Shaman PoV, not mine):

The problem is that the storm does ~900k damage even if you dodge (well I'd have to check 10 heroic, but it is ~900k on 25m unmitigated) and the healers can't really stand there and cast their good heals for the most part.

The guy with 97 is the tank though and he can get away with a couple (only one with higher survivability in that raid was the paly tank). I would be far more concerned about Django, Tan, and Silv as they are taking close to full damage and are actually dying more to it. A single unmitigated ball has a pretty high chance to kill you either directly or leave you low enough for the storm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our guild uses a healing cooldown on every storm while everyone just focuses 100% on dodging the balls. What we did on our first kills though was I (MW monk) would Life Cocoon myself, stand still, and raid heal the shit out of everyone. You could probably use HoP to do the same.

Your holy paladin can pick up Unbreakable Spirit and Holy Avenger. With Unbreakable spirit he can use divine shield on the first and fourth storm to just stand still and heal.
    He will also be able to use divine protection (40% damage reduction) on every storm phase. With Holy Avenger he can run around while using holy shock and holy radiance to spread eternal flame over the raid. He may want to try holy prism for this encounter too.