10+ Year Old Account

Other win conditions?

So I saw this rather intriguing post on the Hearthstone forums: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/...94?page=25#500

Are there ways to win the game besides getting your opponent to 0 health?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Short answer is no. The longer answer goes into depth about other aspects that we are saving for when we go into beta.

What do you suppose these other win conditions might be?

I can see the obvious ones, like someone disconnecting and not returning in X time, but are there maybe others? Maybe even game related ones, like being unable to perform an action (when you have run out of cards, spells and minions for instance while your opponent still has options) or let your turn go by without any actions for x amount of turns?

What win conditions do you think there will be, or what would you like to see in game?

A standard in card games seems to be if you cannot draw you lose, but I'd rather see if you can't do anything at all, you lose (including attacking with monsters) within X turns. (I know, post on official forums, not here)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalnik View Post
    A standard in card games seems to be if you cannot draw you lose
    With 30 cards in a deck and the warlock's draw and discarding ways that might put a certain amount of stress on the Warlock, since he'd be guaranteed to run out of cards before his opponent (assuming it's not Warlock vs Warlock). With the reported average length of games you'll probably only rarely hit this limit, but it's something to consider when choosing heroes, perhaps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    With 30 cards in a deck and the warlock's draw and discarding ways that might put a certain amount of stress on the Warlock, since he'd be guaranteed to run out of cards before his opponent (assuming it's not Warlock vs Warlock). With the reported average length of games you'll probably only rarely hit this limit, but it's something to consider when choosing heroes, perhaps.
    It's how Yugi defeated Slifer the Sky Dragon.

im pretty sure theyve said somewhere before, that drawing out of cards is a loss, not sure where i saw that though.

Quote Originally Posted by r3d3mpt10n View Post
    im pretty sure theyve said somewhere before, that drawing out of cards is a loss, not sure where i saw that though.
    Running out of cards is not an instant loss, it triggers "fatigue" which causes your hero to take damage everytime you would otherwise draw a card. You still have your minions, hero power, and cards in your hand to use.
    Last edited by fruitypebble; 2013-05-06 at 12:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitypebble View Post
    Running out of cards is not an instant loss, it triggers "fatigue" which causes your hero to take damage everytime you would otherwise draw a card. You still have your minions, hero power, and cards in your hand to use.
    Really now, that's interesting. Where did you get this info? From the play test at Pax?

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Really now, that's interesting. Where did you get this info? From the play test at Pax?
    I saw a screenshot of it a week or two back, I'll see if I can find it for ya.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitypebble View Post
    I saw a screenshot of it a week or two back, I'll see if I can find it for ya.
    Cool if you can find it, but now I knew to look for "fatigue" I found some tidbits about it, and a reddit post where it was mentioned in more detail, so I'm not completely clueless about it anymore at least.

It amazes me the amount of new stuff I still find out every week, even when I've been trying to stay as well informed as I can all along.

I never mentioned instant loss, but its a chain reaction as you put really, if you run out of cards first, you're more likely to lose due to other aspects.. although in some card games im sure a no draw = instant loss is in effect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by r3d3mpt10n View Post
    I never mentioned instant loss, but its a chain reaction as you put really, if you run out of cards first, you're more likely to lose due to other aspects.. although in some card games im sure a no draw = instant loss is in effect.
    Well apparently you don't run out of cards in Hearthstone. When you empty your deck and go into fatigue mode, you will apparently start to draw cards from the "discard pile" (also know as the graveyard in other games) which means that as long as you have enough health to take 1 damage for each drawn card, you can effectively keep recycling your deck. This could potentially give life gain a slightly higher value if you have a high draw-power deck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    Well apparently you don't run out of cards in Hearthstone. When you empty your deck and go into fatigue mode, you will apparently start to draw cards from the "discard pile" (also know as the graveyard in other games) which means that as long as you have enough health to take 1 damage for each drawn card, you can effectively keep recycling your deck. This could potentially give life gain a slightly higher value if you have a high draw-power deck.
    Well with no official word about it it's all a bit up in the air, but the 2 sources I read on this subject talked about increasing damage for drawing cards, meaning you may start with 1 damage but the damage goes up. If that's the case then self healing won't weigh up against new cards very quickly. We'll have to wait for clear evidence either way to see how things work in the game, but 1 damage per turn from drawing a card seems negligible so I'm assuming it's increasing damage for now.

I think I should start adding this to every post I make on this sub-forum: Beta can't get here soon enough. >.<

I heard a reference to YuGiOh! That was a lot of fun back in the day.
    I have been thinking, what if they implement a card like Exodia.... you collect all 5 parts, play them, Win!
    This will really be nice for those interested in building a Combo Deck.

They could also implement "countdown timer" spells, for use in Aggro/Burn Decks. Maybe create a "Wipe It!" spell that starts a new global countdown for the match to automatically end in 3 minutes and Hero with highest health remaining is declared winner. This would be really interesting when combined with the similar power of Nozdormu, which limits the turn timer to 15 seconds.