Thread: Horridon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotmore View Post
    Yeah we have dicussed it in the guild, and people need to do more LFR. The 496 Mage has ''Decent'' gear for ToT, but is lacking DPS and refuses to respecc out of Fire, which i heard is crap atm. As i have told in my guild, im sick of carrieng people. But to stop on the DPS for a bit, how are the healers performing?
    raiders can refuse to spec differenttly if they're doing fine, competitive DPS for their ilevel. If not, my take is 'respec or sit' presuming, of course, that you have another geared dps around

if you can't get trough horridon then your guild should rethink what they are doing and change the roster becouse the worse is yet to come

Deleted
    Ok, so we got Horridon down and we're now moving on to Council. But Icy Veins says this:

''9.5. Alternative Strategy: Burning Sul the Sandcrawler

Many raid groups have reported that burning Sul the Sandcrawler made the fight a lot easier. To do so, tank Sul next to Malakk or Mar'li if they are empowered and try to break the empowerment from cleave/AoE damage while focusing mainly on Sul. Use Heroism Icon Heroism/Bloodlust Icon Bloodlust/Time Warp Icon Time Warp at the pull.''

Is this infact easier then their normal strategie?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it is. This really needs good cleave damage, but the idea is to tank them together, focus Sul and AoE/cleave the others. You'll need to watch that you are getting enough dps on the empowered boss (25% of their HP before they hit 100 energy and spam Dark Power), but if you have a reasonably high DPS group, this isn't a big deal.

The reason they call out Malakk and Marli specifically is that Kazarjin(sp?) runs around and cannot be tanked next to Sul. When he's empowered, have ranged burn him.

The idea behind this is that Sul's adds are hard to deal with and the fewer times he casts Sandstorm the better. Once he's dead it's easy to kill off the others.

Things to watch for:

1) When Marlii is empowered you still need to kill the Shadowed Loa add or someone WILL die. The other loa adds can be ignored (when Malakk or K are empowered).
    2) When Sul gets empowered, you stack, gather the adds and AOE, BUT as they die there will be Quicksand which will kill you. So you stack, AOE, then move out if stuff spawns under you.
    3) DO have someone watch the empowered and be ready to call out to switch to it if needed but remember that there's no benefit from forcing the empowerment to switch early. That is, you ideally want the empowerment to move to a new boss right as energy hits 99 or so.
    4) Make sure people understand that they aren't just burning Sul and need to use cleaves, etc. For example, on my hunter, I move from Glaive Toss to Barrage and I drop Explosive Trap on the group vs hitting one with Black Arrow.
    5) Some classes have talents that allow them to escape roots (Posthaste for hunters). You can get rooted in a quicksand and while this can be dispelled, it's nice to be able to free oneself. Have people look at their talents and make sure they take anything like this as well as making sure that if they have two dps spells one of which cleaves, they take that one (see my GT vs Barrage example).

What's not obvious until you do it once is that killing one boss makes the fight WAY easier and if that boss is Sul, WAY WAY easier. Also, it's counterintuitive but let the empowered bosses get very close to 100 energy and stay empowered as long as you can vs forcing them out of empowerment ASAP. Letting them stay empowered longer will mean more DPS time on Sul and hence him being closer to dead. Ideally, he gets off 1 Sandstorm, then is forced out of empowered mode or dies.
    Last edited by clevin; 2013-05-13 at 06:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grats Dotmore! Like you, our group has been cockblocked by Horridon for 22 tries.

We just got our Council kill last night, so maybe this will help. We focused on Sul, using heroism, cooldowns and everything and the start, and I brought Sul next to whoever is empowered. We didn't have the dps or the cleave to just completely focus on Sul though, so we did a switch to the empowered boss at 50 or so %. Even with our low dps, we managed to kill Sul without him ever being empowered (he dies by the time the 3 bosses have been empowered) - in your case it's likely you may get one sandstorm phase.

Another strategy that worked for a lot of people is to stack ALL the bosses together and just ignore Marli's healing add (still need to kite the shadowed add). The reasoning being that not having people run around chasing adds and bosses is a net dps gain. Your group's dps is about the same as ours, so I don't know if that would work for you, but we never tried that as the strat above worked for us. Something you can try if everything else doesn't.

Deleted
    Ok, so we got Horridon down and we're now moving on to Council. But Icy Veins says this:

''9.5. Alternative Strategy: Burning Sul the Sandcrawler

Many raid groups have reported that burning Sul the Sandcrawler made the fight a lot easier. To do so, tank Sul next to Malakk or Mar'li if they are empowered and try to break the empowerment from cleave/AoE damage while focusing mainly on Sul. Use Heroism Icon Heroism/Bloodlust Icon Bloodlust/Time Warp Icon Time Warp at the pull.''

Is this infact easier then their normal strategie?
    it is! but please for the love of god tell your druid tank to finally replace that ilvl 450 staff... you won´t get past tortos till 5.4 if your raiders don´t take raiding a bit more serious.
    your raiders also don´t seem to bother with t14normals and t15 lfr or learning anythiing about their class/skill/spec/gems/enchants.
    i really don´t want to sound mean but tell your raiders to visit this site and let them check out the stickies on the various class forums

One thing that will help a lot is your priest going disc. Disc simply outshines holy on every fight except one holy boss and especially on damage increase bosses. Get your priest to stay on horridon the entire fight and watch his healing go through the room with atonement. Feel free to through out a couple spirit shells as well, those are amazing from damage reduction.

Have your Hunter turn on his pet taunt for the adds on the 3rd door & have your DK pop Army on the 4th door.
    See if you can get your Priest to switch to Disc. 3 healing comps work fine on every fight if the healer is a Disc Priest as Disc Priests double as another DPS (albeit low) and a good Disc priest can typically compete with the damage done from the tanks.

On my priest I will start out with a spirit shell fairly early on and have it available again when the two poison volley priests come out on the 2nd door, spirit shell again with frost orbs come out with the 3rd door, then use it again prior to War God coming out on the 4th. Apply spirit shell just before War God comes out. Keep Prayer of Mending on CD and keep the tanks bubbled with power word: shield. Throughout the entire fight I constantly spam smite, holy fire & penance on the boss or help dps the adds using talented shadow fiend on CD.
    Last edited by betsyross; 2013-05-13 at 07:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    it is! but please for the love of god tell your druid tank to finally replace that ilvl 450 staff... you won´t get past tortos till 5.4 if your raiders don´t take raiding a bit more serious.
    your raiders also don´t seem to bother with t14normals and t15 lfr or learning anythiing about their class/skill/spec/gems/enchants.
    i really don´t want to sound mean but tell your raiders to visit this site and let them check out the stickies on the various class forums
    He got the Sha-Touched staff from Tsulong today. (496)

We're going ToT on thursday, and im kinda confident we can kill it. It appears to be much easier then Horridon.
    I really appriciate all the feedback you guys are giving me, and the raid team.

Deleted
    He got the Sha-Touched staff from Tsulong today. (496)

We're going ToT on thursday, and im kinda confident we can kill it. It appears to be much easier then Horridon.
    I really appriciate all the feedback you guys are giving me, and the raid team.
    What we did on our first kill was as "usual", just use all cds/bl at start burn Sul - he should drop to about 60% or lower before switching to the one who is empowerd. After that its all a balance game of keeping as much dps up on Sul without having to low dps on the empowerd, we had a melee (ench sham in our case) sit on Sul the whole time and dps + inturrupt his sand bolts, the tank should also inturrupt him, its the biggest source of dmg on the raid if not inturrupted as much as possible if i remember correctly. Any dot classes should have dots rolling on him aswell while dpsing the empowerd.

Remember that if they reach 100% energy, it wont be a instant wipe or so, you can live with a few seconds of it without any problem really and you dont want to be ending an empowerment to fast (if this is even a risk for you guys, i dont know) becuase that will obviously just make Suls empowerment come earlier. As said the balance is being able to have enough dps on Sul so cutting an empowerment off when the energy is at 80% for example thats like 25 seconds earlier then needed and during that time you could have had higher dps on Sul.

The whole goal with this strat is obviously to kill Sul before he gets empowerd, after that the fight is ez.

Quote Originally Posted by betsyross View Post
    and a good Disc priest can typically compete with the damage done from the tanks.
    While most of your advice is good, thats simply misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    While most of your advice is good, thats simply misleading.
    Maybe they have bad tanks...

22 tries is a cockblock oO What do you expect? I think we also had like 22 tries on Horridon and didn't consider it a cockblock... do you want every boss to be a pushover?

I doesn't get much easier afterwards and you will have some wipes on every (well maybe except twins, because they are redicuously easy)

Deleted
    So how about the Possessions? I've had a few tries in a pug, but it seems they follow a order, rather then being random. Is this correct? (Frost king first)

Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    22 tries is a cockblock oO What do you expect? I think we also had like 22 tries on Horridon and didn't consider it a cockblock... do you want every boss to be a pushover?

I doesn't get much easier afterwards and you will have some wipes on every (well maybe except twins, because they are redicuously easy)

We had a total of 43 wipes i think.
    Last edited by mmoce38467a1b7; 2013-05-15 at 10:45 AM.

Dotmore, can you take a moment and state what your raid changed to get Horridon kill down?

For possessions, Frost King is always first. After that, it goes to the highest health mob that hasn't gotten empowered on that round (I believe). If you're using the stack em, burn Sul and cleave strat, it will always be Kazahran next, then Mar'li, then Kaza again as Sul should be dead.

Grats to OP and all, but if this is going to evolve from a thread titled Horridon into Council and perhaps beyond, maybe a. A new thread, b. posting in an another thread pertaining to said boss, or c. renaming this thread, would be handy. :P

Edit: I only ask this because having a single (fairly lengthy) thread titled Horridon is actually a good thing, since I swear I pop on here daily and there's a new "help us with Horridon" thread.

Deleted
    I am sorry but.. what the hell. You state in your first post that you have been in ToT for 2 months. Then you say:
    We had a total of 43 wipes i think.
    I think we just found what your problem was. That is terrible; you won't kill ANYTHING like that.

22 wipes... heh I remember several hundred wipes on Muru.

22 sounds like a single night of progression. Several classes make this much easier. Namely a prot paly, a mistweaver, and a disc priest. If you have access to those in some sort of decently gear offspec form... use them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gallamann View Post
    Dotmore, can you take a moment and state what your raid changed to get Horridon kill down?
    Bottomline is i think, we had better DPS.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-zk8flpp7dkuvydeo/

Quote Originally Posted by Karlzone View Post
    I am sorry but.. what the hell. You state in your first post that you have been in ToT for 2 months. Then you say:
    I think we just found what your problem was. That is terrible; you won't kill ANYTHING like that.
    I never said we were in ToT for 2 months, just that its 2 months into 5.2 now. We are a casual guild raiding 2-3 hours per day, for 2 nights per week.
    Last edited by mmoce38467a1b7; 2013-05-15 at 06:49 PM.