Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    ...Yes and no.

The read speeds, which is the important part of SSD's. Their main feature. Are all the same. 840, 840 Pro, 120-250gb, whatever.

Write speeds are better on larger drives, and Pro drives, however are not the important factor, and a waste of money.

Get the 840 non-pro.
    QFT write speeds only matter once, while read matters everytime you open something.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    As big as you can afford, and put everything except your music and movie files on it. That way everything you do on the computer will run faster.

120GB would be enough for what you're asking but I really don't recommend it since the price difference is getting rather small and you'll rather have more SSD space to install one more game year from now than not.
    Aye. I've noticed 120-128GB SSDs are often found for $1/GB or a little more, while the 240-256GB+ size SSDs are all typically under $1/GB, and it goes down when you go to higher capacity drives.

@OP: A 120-128GB SSD will certainly fit your OS, and several games, and minor programs, I can attest to that. My Crucial m4 128GB SSD has WoW, Rift, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Path of Exile, Binding of Isaac, FireFox, Google Chrome, Steam, 3DMark, 3DMark 11, Unigine Valley 1.0, Unigine Heaven 4.0, Skype, and some other minor programs installed on it, which includes a number of smaller Steam games.

I currently have 13.7 GB of free space, as well. ^_^

Since I got back into WoW though, I've noticed a change in space used, and Skyrim is no longer installed, however I'm looking now into buying a 240-256GB SSD to pair up with my m4. (Not in RAID, no folks, I just mean have them both work together for ultimate computering.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 128G Crucial M4, love it. Would never go back to a traditional HDD. I have Win8, WoW (with all my addons), PoE (Path of exile), Firefox, etc on it. I have 40 gig free. All my "other games" and music and etc are on my HDD (secondary drive).

If I were to get another, I'd get a larger one just so I can load one more game on it, that's all. Having the fast boot, load times, is just fantastic.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a OCZ vertex 4 and have put some in other computers with no problems. Got a Crucial M4 in my wifes computer and it's good as well. The Vertex is a bit faster that's the only thing I noticed between the two and its only like 4-5 secs as most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarsguard View Post
    I have a OCZ vertex 4 and have put some in other computers with no problems. Got a Crucial M4 in my wifes computer and it's good as well. The Vertex is a bit faster that's the only thing I noticed between the two and its only like 4-5 secs as most.
    Somehow I doubt it is even 4-5 seconds. :P

Unless you're trying to render some massive file, then sure. lol

Might help to see what firmware the m4 is on, newer firmwares have pulled a lot of speed out.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    ... and a waste of money.

Get the 840 non-pro.
    That's your opinion and not a fact, however in this situation (OP) you're right there is not really any reason to get the pro version unless it's a really good deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    That's your opinion and not a fact,
    I meant more a waste of money in this situation. Honestly, there's almost nobody here on these forums who would benefit from a Pro drive. It really is only useful in perhaps a... Professional situation? Get it? Pro? >.> Anyway, yes, it has a use. Just not for gaming. I don't even think it would be useful for streaming/rendering, since the bottleneck at that point would be the HDD.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    I meant more a waste of money in this situation. Honestly, there's almost nobody here on these forums who would benefit from a Pro drive. It really is only useful in perhaps a... Professional situation? Get it? Pro? >.> Anyway, yes, it has a use. Just not for gaming. I don't even think it would be useful for streaming/rendering, since the bottleneck at that point would be the HDD.
    I really cannot think of a situation where the extra write speed on an SSD would be worthwhile. Maybe on some data partition servers that are constantly writing data in some form, but you can't really use SSD's for those. Not enough storage space and it would wear the SSD down extremely fast.

So, honestly? there is no useful scenario in the consumer world for the 840 pro. It won't benefit whatsoever for anything short of transferring files between 2 ssds...But who in the world would be doing that enough to warrant the price difference? The standard 840 write speeds are plenty fast enough for anything, and are still significantly faster than a harddrive.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what you guys are saying is that MLC isn't worth it over TLC. ;o

Dare you suggest that?
    "A flower.

If the actual, real-world-application difference between two products is, to all intents and purposes, zero then go for the cheaper option unless there are other, non-performance reasons to get the expensive one (warranty, reliability, manufacturer bias etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    So what you guys are saying is that MLC isn't worth it over TLC. ;o Dare you suggest that?
    Honestly? Yes.

The only reason MLC and TLC we're (in real world application) different, was on the much smaller drives (16-32gb) where the cell count was so small that you could actually burn a drive out a small TLC with normal use inside the normal hardware replacement cycle.

Right now, that barrier no longer exists, and likely won't for several years. If ever. As long as TLC's keep getting larger, their 'shorter' lifespan will get larger and longer. And even if it somehow did become an issue, by that time newer, more robust technology will have resolved that issue inherently.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Somehow I doubt it is even 4-5 seconds. :P

Unless you're trying to render some massive file, then sure. lol

Might help to see what firmware the m4 is on, newer firmwares have pulled a lot of speed out.
    Just bootup times and loadscreen times is the only thing I look at me and wife have the same setup except our cases and ssds she has the 128 M4 and I have the 128 Vertex 4 and the load times are noticeable but like I said 3-4 seconds max usually around 2-3 usually. Oh and no problems with my SSD at all it hasn't F'ed up yet anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Short version:

- Intel is expensive but reliable
    - OCZ is cheap but has relatively high failure rate (more of these break during first six months than any other brand but you get replacement fast), older models also had major problems requiring flashing the software on the drive which is also why people are avoiding these now
    - Crucial M4 and Samsung 830/840 models have good balance of price and no reported widespread problems or abnormally high failure rates
    - Corsair has confusing amount of models from cheap and slow to expensive and fast, also some older models had the firmware problems mentioned with OCZ

All other brands are so small/random that there simply isn't any data available.
    \

What about kingston? Theres a shell shocker on one of there drives tonight

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820239045

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a kingston hyperX, and so far it's been great. Though, i spent way too much on it (it was the original hyperx, with 5k program/erase count rather than 3k) at about $200 for 120gb...like a year and 5 months ago.

I'm not sure about the hyperX 3k, but i imagine it doesn't have quite the endurance as a 840/m4 ( i believe these both have a 5k erase count?. ) and is slightly more expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would go as big as you can afford. I have a 64 myself, and while it was okay at first, the OS drive grew to fill it. All I install are programs that startup with the OS and programs that like to run in the tray and such. My brother's laptop has dual 512s. Runs pretty slick.

I had a 60GB, but it was too small, with Windows and WoW i didn't have enough spare space to download updates.

After i upgraded to a 120GB it has been sweet.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i have that ssd you are talking about the samsung 120 gig and its pretty decent. i have windows 7, swtor, lol, and starcraft 2 installed on it along with a few other essentials, vent, mumble, skype and still have around 35 gigs left. load times were a bit quicker in swtor but thats about it. lol isnt very demanding at all and it already loaded pretty fast. i havent actually played any sc2 since i got the ssd so i cant really comment.

i bought the 120 gig because at the time it was only like $90 and i had a $20 coupon from newegg so it really only cost me like $69.99 and while i think thats a pretty good deal i dont think, knowing what i know now, i would spend $100+ on an ssd. while im happy with it since its knocked off anywhere from 10%-20% loading times in some games it really isnt that big of a deal to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    I had a 60GB, but it was too small, with Windows and WoW i didn't have enough spare space to download updates.

After i upgraded to a 120GB it has been sweet.
    Moving pagefile, search index, and turning off hibernate can open up a LOT of space.

AKA take your RAM and multiple it by two, add maybe a GB or two and that's how much you could free up...

http://lifehacker.com/5802838/how-to...fe-of-your-ssd
    "A flower.

Deleted
    I had the same problem as You. I don`t know which size should I take. So I simply count all storage that will be taken by programs. This is what result I get:
    - first of all OS, its around 20 GB installed AND you`ll need around 15-20 GB for temp files. Temp files get from installed programs, even those You delete and if You won`t format a disk regulary - as I do , I have Win Vista updated to win 7 ,and I was never formatting my disk for 5 years ! ,and this files takes at my HDD 15gb atm - you need this spac + pagafile.sys around 4gb + 4 GB for hybernating sysystem files if You use this function,
    - than around 5 GB for all programs, drivers etc

At this point You have used 45 GB, so if You want take 120 GB , it 75 Gb of free space . WoW with 5.4 will take around 25 GB for shure ,so at this moment You have around 50 GB of free space .

NOW is beggining the most important calculate... If You are a hardcore player and Your guild want You to be on PTR -t test bosses before next content You need another 25 GB ,which leave You with onlny 25 GB of Free space ( but IMO you can install a ptr on HDD one ) ! ,and if You want to play at any other game like D3, SC 2, or some FPS like MoH ,CoD , Far Cry , Crysis or games like Hitman GTA and any other 2011-2013 release games you need to book another 20 GB for each .

So if You won`t play at PTR or You`ll instal it on HDD it leaves You with 50 GB of free space - so at this point You can install 2 new games and it should be around 10 GB of free space - its going to be tight... but not so bad.

Best choice would be 120 or IMO 160 would be the best,and 250 is too much if You dont use programs like photoshop or movies programs,graphic ones or scientic like Matlab etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Irisi View Post
    if You dont use programs like photoshop or movies programs,graphic ones or scientic like Matlab etc.
    All of those together are smaller than any one of the games you listed.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.