Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would people donate their own money to help fund development?

So after hearing about all the money GGG got from player donations to help fund PoE and also other games like Camelot Unchained that also got a lot of money from interested players I was just wondering if Blizzard somehow went under would people actually donate their own money to keep WoW going or would you just quit and find something else?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would quit, just sayin'...

You mean we don't pay enough with monthly subs & buying expansions and all of the micro transactions?

When the Directors / CEO stops taking a paycheque. Then I would consider donating.

-Grim

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think i understand what you mean.
    What's GGG? And what's PoE? All i find searching the web is some unknown poet and writer...

Deleted
    People playing are already funding WoW through a subscription. I admit, it's not fully voluntary in the way that you can't play the game unless you pay, but it is voluntary since you pay for the game you play, which means you like what Blizzard is doing and you're helping fund the continuation development.

There are only a few games I have played that I would donate my own money to. Path of Exile was one of them as GGG actually seems to care about its players and puts making a good game above making money *cough* Diablo 3 *cough*. I honestly dont think Blizzard could ever get enough money to keep the serves going and more content flowing if it came down to needing aid from players. They just arent as loyal or hardcore as those playing other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I don't think i understand what you mean.
    What's GGG? And what's PoE? All i find searching the web is some unknown poet and writer...
    Path of Exile and Grinding Gear Games the makers of PoE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    So after hearing about all the money GGG got from player donations to help fund PoE and also other games like Camelot Unchained that also got a lot of money from interested players I was just wondering if Blizzard somehow went under would people actually donate their own money to keep WoW going or would you just quit and find something else?
    If you pay a sub, then donations are out of question. Not the same business model.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Can't say I'm surprised... PoE rode on the "disappointment" of D3 (seems like people thought everyone loved D2 and became avid players) and now it's facing the issues that are hard to avoid in an ARPG, repetitive endgame

Would I support WoW if it required donations? Perhaps, but it's not like it'll happen, so I can't even ponder about it through
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Im almost positive people will. People donate money all the time to help fund projects, granted they are getting the game and other things in return, but millions have gone to help fund products.

http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/...es?ref=sidebar
    "one never escapes from the compulsion and chance to be powerful" Peter Sloterdijk
    i5-4690k --- ASUS Z97-A --- 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 --- EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3

Rely on it? no...

But people would be able to donate if they learned to be happy with what they have AND make enough to have a good quality of life. (Home, Car, decent food and healthcare).

10+ Year Old Account
    our sub money goes towards development of new patches i would think. if blizzard was asking for extra money for this i would want a big increase in quality and speed.
    dragonmaw - EU

What's GGG?
    Grinding Gear Games (I think)
    And what's PoE?
    Path of Exile - Like Diablo only better (if you think it's better)

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They'd want blizz to follow their design goals if they were willingly giving money to the development.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

blizz doesn't need money.. they swim in it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Just to help the OP a bit: the part in boldface seems to be invisible to everyone so far. No, it's not likely to happen that Blizzard will go under. And by the time they did, WoW would likely be something of a memory or frozen in time like D2 was for years. Neither of those things are necessarily bad.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Money has never been the problem. Finding developer talent, training them and getting them adjusted to mesh with the borg takes time. Gaming development doesn't pay that well so you're not going to have thousands of people jumping to apply unless their dream is to work on WoW. They'll go somewhere like Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, etc where the big paychecks can be found.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Money has never been the problem. Finding developer talent, training them and getting them adjusted to mesh with the borg takes time. Gaming development doesn't pay that well so you're not going to have thousands of people jumping to apply unless their dream is to work on WoW. They'll go somewhere like Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, etc where the big paychecks can be found.
    Pretty much this.

Blizzard isn't being stingy with their money, they're being stingy with who they hire.

On the recent topic of silvermoon, they've basically said they DO NOT HAVE enough artists to expeditiously complete it. From what I've seen, Blizzard is pretty much ALWAYS hiring artists and the like. They just don't find many people that live up to their expectations.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

$100 for our xpacs, then $15 a month.
    Theeen $30 for faction change, $25 for realm transfer and raace change.

This is donation enough.
    My name is what makes me so manly.

$25 server transfer, $15 re customization, $15 a month, 49.99 every xpac. I give them a lot of money as it is.