Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Heroic TF Invocation of The Dawn vs. 522 1h + shield ?

Oookay, so I got Invocation of The Dawn from a coin roll today. I'm currently wearing Jerthud, Graceful Hand of the Savior and Shield of Twinned Despair and I'm seriously considering switching to the 2h mace. What do you guys think? Switch or stick with the mace and shield? I'm currently at 16k spirit (with the flask), armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...urigo/advanced
    Last edited by Aurigo; 2013-05-06 at 07:53 PM.

It may look fancy, but here's your true item comparison:
    http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items...0.4434.0.76686

edit: Sorry my sanity left me, I forgot you can reforge the crit to spirit.

You're losing ~800 spirit for 119 int and 270 mastery. IMO...I still don't really think it's worth it. The armor you get from holding your shield is a survivability boost in itself.
    Last edited by monikasun88; 2013-05-06 at 08:12 PM.

Deleted
    I don't know that much about holy paladins, but the real comparison is here: http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items...0.4434.0.76686

Invocation of the Dawn
    +119 Int
    +486 Sta
    +270 Mastery (0.45)
    +689 Crit (1.16%)
    +1728 Spell Power
    +1286.7 Melee DPS
    +6239 Melee Min Damage
    +8092 Melee Max Damage

1H+Shield:
    +799 Spi
    +19188 Armor

I don't know how strongly holy paladins favor spirit, but the amount of other secondary stats and spell power on the Invocation of the Dawn seems like a lot to pass up on. And generally I tend to think of armor as a mere bonus for anyone other than tanks, since it's usually situational at best.

you are forgetting about the 1700 spell power he gains from the T-forged 2 hander. I would use the 2-Hander. The armor from the shield is not even important for this tier except maybe Horridon and Ji'Kuhn, even then it is really not needed. You also have the meta. Mana really shouldn't be an issue anymore for you : / You should also start using Int Flasks
    Last edited by Virsta1; 2013-05-06 at 08:42 PM.

Using the 2H is a pretty big hit to spirit, but from what I overheard our holy pally say, mana issues aren't as bad this tier.

If you're finding that you're not running OOM on fights, I would imagine the big boost in SP makes the 2H worth it.

Deleted
    Armor is useless unless you are going to tank the boss (it doesnt help on say ji-kun), the melee swings has a 100% chance to proc seal of insight (far superior vs 1h wep) and yea it has almost 2k more spell power. I know which one I would pick.

Forgot about the spell power, my bad :P Yeah would recommend the mace as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Armor is useless unless you are going to tank the boss (it doesnt help on say ji-kun).
    Quill Damage is physical.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Virsta1 View Post
    Quill Damage is physical.
    So? armor doesnt help on quills

So? armor doesnt help on quills
    what.... Armor doesn't reduce physical damage taken? since when?

Deleted
    Since blizzard decided that raid wide physical damage should not do more damage to clothies, which is probably all of this expansion I think.

TIL I am not a special snowflake anymore.

I think that armor still affects physical damage there's nothing different about that. But classes with lower armor like clothies or leather classes have additional passive talents which decrease their damage taken so overall the damage taken between the classes is the same.

Dancing steel on that baby and spam the cs like a boss (just cause we can ™)

On a serious note, you can interchange with macros. I would equip the 2hander when i knew heavy damage was inc
    and on mana regen phases the 1hander and shield.

Quote Originally Posted by monikasun88 View Post
    I think that armor still affects physical damage there's nothing different about that. But classes with lower armor like clothies or leather classes have additional passive talents which decrease their damage taken so overall the damage taken between the classes is the same.
    wrong, HoF had loads of physical raid damage, using a shield or not using a shield, my shaman still took the same damage, it is as someone else explained all the same, except now classes like boomkin/spriest/lock are actually better than others due to their passives.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meanor View Post
    Dancing steel on that baby and spam the cs like a boss (just cause we can ™)

On a serious note, you can interchange with macros. I would equip the 2hander when i knew heavy damage was inc
    and on mana regen phases the 1hander and shield.
    This is actually a really good idea but in general the 2 hander is better. I said earlier that the 2h will get you more seal of insight procs but I just did the math and thats actually not true, the 1 hand weapon should give you more seal of insight procs but the 2h has 100% chance to proc it so if you have bad rng with the 1h, the 2h could still provide more procs.

2.4 mace * 20 /60 = 0.8 or 80% to proc
    60/2.4 = 25 *0.8 = 20 times (will proc per minute on avg)

3.6 = 100% to proc
    60/3.6 = 16.7 times per minute

difference will be 3.3 times per minute more for the one hander (on avg)

Now, only if i knew the soi formula =)

Deleted
    Since blizzard decided that raid wide physical damage should not do more damage to clothies, which is probably all of this expansion I think.
    Wrong. Armor still reduces the amount of physical damage you take in raids. Checking logs from Ji'kun confirmed this. The only difference they made is that the damage values are equally maxed for all classes before their personal or raid auras and mitigation or reductions.

This is probably gonna blow some people's minds here, but I haven't seen anyone mention that the 2h STRONGLY favors Glyph of the Battle Healer.

Would it even worth the glyph spot?

Some (drunk) thoughts:

It would splash for approximately (top) 5k every 3.6 (unbuffed) so for 83.5k healing per minute (1.4k hps) assuming a fight with 100% up-time on boss and 0 casting. Add to that a 7.5% to miss and a 7.5% to get dodged and we are looking at around ~ 71k (~1.2k hps)

Correct me if i am wrong but under a real scenario this wont be much less than half?