Poll: Should we ignore the loss of freedom and liberty?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    He says nothing of the sort. He simply says "Quit believing the radical conspiracy theorists. Come to your own conclusions".

However... given your Avatar, I'm sure you strongly believe he did say something in those regards.
    I don't like anyone to tell me to be a sheep. I don't know about you. My avatar comes from the Bush era, the whole afghanistan war, iraq war, bombing children in pakistan. Really ashamed of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Actually, not true, the Constitution was actually updated every so often.
    The closest we get is amendments, not even anywhere close to the expiry of the document. Instead, we treat it like it was sent from the gods, immutable word of law.

Deleted
    Not a single member of the First Continental Congress wanted to take on the might of the British Empire. But they had to for the good of their fellow colonists. Seems so self-centerred.

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 02:45 AM ----------

What exactly do you mean? Also, I'm not a republican.
    Erm... Exactly what I asked. It wasn't that complicated and most important it wasn't directed to yourself. More to the general public.

Sensationalistic populism is an extremely irresponsible way to act when involved in a political debate.
    When some people call the fairly elected president of a country a tyrannical leader, you know... there is very little constructive debate that can spark out of it...
    Last edited by mmocea043e1e13; 2013-05-08 at 06:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a single member of the First Continental Congress wanted to take on the might of the British Empire. But they had to for the good of their fellow colonists. Seems so self-centerred.
    If by "their fellow colonists" you mean "their propertied interests" then yes.

Few of Britain's new regulations or taxes were particularly onerous for the majority of people; the people that revolted were the ones that felt their interests threatened, i.e. the middle and upper classes, represented in the Founders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    The closest we get is amendments, not even anywhere close to the expiry of the document. Instead, we treat it like it was sent from the gods, immutable word of law.
    Just read the last two pages. It's ancestor worship.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Jefferson didn't say either of those things. They are phony quotes distributed by pro-gun websites.
    The first one has nothing to do with guns. And that is utter crap as those quotes have been around for quite some time. And nice choice of websites, none of which are any form of academic.

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 02:53 AM ----------

It is the word of law. Without it there would be no law. You just can't through it out.-

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 02:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Just read the last two pages. It's ancestor worship.
    I'm proud of my heritage.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is the word of law. Without it there would be no law. You just can't through it out.
    But we make laws. They are subject to change; or, they should be. We refuse to acknowledge this unless it suits us, but this takes us beyond reason.

The first one has nothing to do with guns. And that is utter crap as those quotes have been around for quite some time. And nice choice of websites, none of which are any form of academic.
    Can you reference when or where those quotes you claim are real are from?
    And? Assuming that the 'founders' can never be wrong is pretty silly, since they essentially argued over everything. Ignoring the history and social experiments that have happened since the 'American Experiment' started is pretty silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can be proud of your heritage, but you should still be able to see past that pride when confronted with contradiction or objective reason.

I don't like anyone to tell me to be a sheep. I don't know about you. My avatar comes from the Bush era, the whole afghanistan war, iraq war, bombing children in pakistan. Really ashamed of that.
    He was saying the exact opposite of "be a sheep". He was saying "Be an individual who comes to their own conclusions and decisions."

There are two sides to this sheep thing here. The conspiracy theorist like Alex Jones (Bad example but hey-ho) who tells his sheep to follow him and to distrust their government, and the people who blindly follow their government into anything.

Obama is saying the opposite of both of these situations. He's saying, think for yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes it is a very frightening speech.....if you take it completely out of context.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I know it didn't have anything to do with guns, but they're repeated by pro gun websites together. Not that it really matters, my point is the quotes are fake.

If you're so sure they're real why don't you provide some "academic" sources tracing them back to Jefferson? Every page I read said that they've found no such evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Yeah sometimes it seems almost like a state religion with the founding fathers as saints and the supreme court as the high priests :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    He was saying the exact opposite of "be a sheep". He was saying "Be an individual who comes to their own conclusions and decisions."

There are two sides to this sheep thing here. The conspiracy theorist like Alex Jones (Bad example but hey-ho) who tells his sheep to follow him and to distrust their government, and the people who blindly follow their government into anything.

Obama is saying the opposite of both of these situations. He's saying, think for yourself.
    This to a fucking T, I cannot stress this enough. If you got anything else out of what Obama said, then just unplug right now. If you blindly follow the government, you are a sheep, if you blindly follow people who say to not trust the government, you are also a sheep. Following one shepherd is just as bad as following another.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2013-05-08 at 09:06 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

If you think this is bad you're taking it disgustingly out of context.