Thread: Tip vs Fee

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Tip vs Fee

I just saw a post on the official US forum that people seem not to understand the concept of "tip vs fee".

The situation the OP describes as:

- I need someone to craft X. Someone replies and I fly over there with my mats. The person crafts my item and I fly away. Meanwhile I get a /w saying "what about my tip?"

Disclaimer: this is not the exact quote from the forums.

Then the OP gets bashed for being a cheap ass dude and then the OP defends his statements saying "I only tip if it's worth tipping."

----------------
    The stupid thing about this whole thread that goes on and on, is that people do not get the concept of tip vs fee.

- ingame tip: you give someone as a thank you for service given

- ingame fee: you set a price for service given, which may or may not be followed by a tip

----------------

Personally, I think it is quite normal to tip. But tipping is something up to the receiver of service. A fee is not optional if spoken about before giving the service.

And then the debate also went about why people would pay for a service at all, since it is just a click of a button.

Well then you grind my gears tbh. It is not just a click of a button now is it? It is the whole leveling of the profession, that took a lot of time and effort and sometimes gold. It is my time away from doing whatever I was doing to craft something for you. While the receiver of the service has nothing to do with this, it is one thing to just say "No thank you I'll take my offer to someone less expensive." then "You greedy %^&*, why should I pay you for a click?"

I am currently an enchanter and blacksmith. BS is new for me and I don't have all the recipees yet. But I have been an enchanter since Vanilla. I have had recipees that almost no one on the entire server had (lucky ofc) and thus I could take that opportunity to ask a special fee for providing a service almost no one could provide. This was also my way of getting my gold back up which I spent leveling enchanting.

How do you guys feel about this?

10+ Year Old Account
    When it happens, that I really need something from a stranger that I can't buy at the AH or get from a guildie for free, I tip. When someone demands a fee I refuse and don't buy the item/let the item be crafted.

If someone want's a "tip" then it's no longer a tip and is a fee and should be asked for up front. As a Mage I often get asked for a portal, if I'm in a nice mood I say it's free and leave it at that. Otherwise, if I'm busy I say i can't do a portal etc.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Be straight forward. Saying 'Tips appreciated' or not saying anything at all indicates that there is no price for this service. If you want a minimum amount to do the service then advertise the fee.

I always tip, and unless someone is charging way too much, I tend to pay more than the fee because I appreciate that getting max level skills can cost quite a bit of gold. Still, anytime I get stiffed on a tip I don't complain or bitch, it's what I put out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    I just saw a post on the official US forum that people seem not to understand the concept of "tip vs fee".

The situation the OP describes as:

- I need someone to craft X. Someone replies and I fly over there with my mats. The person crafts my item and I fly away. Meanwhile I get a /w saying "what about my tip?"

Disclaimer: this is not the exact quote from the forums.

Then the OP gets bashed for being a cheap ass dude and then the OP defends his statements saying "I only tip if it's worth tipping."

----------------
    The stupid thing about this whole thread that goes on and on, is that people do not get the concept of tip vs fee.

- ingame tip: you give someone as a thank you for service given

- ingame fee: you set a price for service given, which may or may not be followed by a tip

----------------

Personally, I think it is quite normal to tip. But tipping is something up to the receiver of service. A fee is not optional if spoken about before giving the service.

And then the debate also went about why people would pay for a service at all, since it is just a click of a button.

Well then you grind my gears tbh. It is not just a click of a button now is it? It is the whole leveling of the profession, that took a lot of time and effort and sometimes gold. It is my time away from doing whatever I was doing to craft something for you. While the receiver of the service has nothing to do with this, it is one thing to just say "No thank you I'll take my offer to someone less expensive." then "You greedy %^&*, why should I pay you for a click?"

I am currently an enchanter and blacksmith. BS is new for me and I don't have all the recipees yet. But I have been an enchanter since Vanilla. I have had recipees that almost no one on the entire server had (lucky ofc) and thus I could take that opportunity to ask a special fee for providing a service almost no one could provide. This was also my way of getting my gold back up which I spent leveling enchanting.

How do you guys feel about this?
    I tell people up front how much it'll cost them for me to click the button. If they don't wanna pay it, at the same time as giving me the mats, then they can go elsewhere.

Well atleast on these forums it seems people understand the concept

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to tip ( And recieve tips) in TBC / WOTLK / early Cataclysm when money was actually ...money?

Nowadays, people still offer 20g tips and stuff which isn't actually that much, it's the same amount as vendoring 2-3 greys, and assuming we scale, it'd be like 100g tips, which just dosen't happen.

Nowadays I craft without expecting tips, and I don't give out tips, since it really isn't worth it anymore.

Deleted
    I'm not subscribed nowadays, but back in the days I'd always tip a handsome amount, even for the smallest job (smelting ore or crafting a low level item). I just want the person to rush my way whenever I need his/her services again in the future. It works, win-win, everybody happy.

I always tip, but when the person demands a fee up front (and on my server that's usually a ridiculous amount), I just look elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't expect tips, even refusing them when they are offered, BUT... If you are not in the position to make an item yourself, you should have the decency to tip the person who doesn't charge a fee for their time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tip is optional, fee is something you have to pay. Asking for a tip is ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the past 6 years in this game, whenever offering a service or accepting a service, the following phrase is most often used (and understood to be the standard):

(Insert Profession here) LFW "Looking for Work" - Free with your mats
    or
    (Insert Profession here) LFW "Looking for Work" - Your mats + (insert gold value of service)

Now, in the case of the other person, he went actively LOOKING for a service. When I go actively looking for a service like a Portal, or Glyphs, or whatever, I know that person has taken time out from whatever they are doing to stop and help me with my request. I pay them for that time.

That being said, even when someone says "Free. Tips appreciated but not required", I still tip something as a "Thanks" for their time. If you ACTIVELY seek out a service, you should offer to pay SOMETHING, even if the person declines you. Anyone who finds someone who is willing to stop what they are doing to come help out deserves at least the courtesy of an offer of payment. Anything else just makes you look like a guy who thinks the world owes him and people will keep working for him for free. After awhile, and a reputation like that, you might as well just roll 5 alts and level all profs cause NO ONE wants to help a self-centered cheapskate.

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 06:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Labruja View Post
    BUT... If you are not in the position to make an item yourself, you should have the decency to tip the person who doesn't charge a fee for their time.
    Precisely. It is the decent thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    A fee is said beforehand.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

10+ Year Old Account
    If i'm buying, I will always ask how much they want for X item or Y service. When I am selling I will always specify a fee or mention "tips welcome".
    Then I can't complain, and the seller can't complain.

Actually it looks like a lot of people don't really understand what a tip is here either. The reason a tip isn't required is because it doesn't come before the transaction and isn't an agreed upon amount. That doesn't mean that it isn't something that should be expected though. In most industries and WoW where tipping is commonly used, it is factored in as an expectation. Minimum wage laws are even based off of tips being a required supplement to the amount the worker makes.

In WoW, if you use someone's services without a fee, and also do not tip, then you are in fact going against what is expected. A tip is not something that just randomly happens every once in a while, it is an unagreed upon amount that the social standards surrounding the transaction dictate should take place.

Why do people say 'tips welcome'? As if someone wouldn't welcome tips? If you really don't want to receive tips, you can always cancel the trade when someone wants to give you gold.

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 04:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezus View Post
    Minimum wage laws are even based off of tips being a required supplement to the amount the worker makes.
    Only in third world countries and the USA. We have a minimum wage that is just that and tips are extra. I don't tip IRL btw. Why would some people get extra money for their normal job and not others? Weird custom, that tipping business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people say 'tips welcome'? As if someone wouldn't welcome tips? If you really don't want to receive tips, you can always cancel the trade when someone wants to give you gold.
    Better to say tips welcome, rather than for example "you must tip!". Giving tips is by no means necessary, but when I mention it, I find I get more tips than when I don't.
    Here in the EU it's not commonplace to tip in every country either, so you have a lot of varied views when it comes to tipping in-game, just as in real life.

Tips are variable, fees aren't.

Tipping has become normal for services in WoW and just like in real life. Some people just don't give a crap about tipping, while people always expect a tip now because let's face it, doing shit for free? I'd rather get paid for my time.

Always tip. If you want a tip, make sure you charge someone for your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always tip regardless. They toke there time to help me out, they deserve alittle something for it. If they wanna tip me thats there choice or decision.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.