Next Expansion: Am I way off base here?

This is my first time posting on this site (yay) but I was thinking about the next expansion recently and I was wondering a few things.
    First of all, I was wondering why everyone thinks that the Burning Legion is coming next expansion? I know that Wrathion has hinted at it, but as of right now, we still have so many threats to deal with on Azeroth. Zul and Rastakhan are still living large (as far as we know) and Azshara and the Old Gods are still at large as well. Wouldn't it make sense for us to take care of these threats before we begin to deal with the Burning Legion?
    Second, wasn't Azshara originally the one who lured the Burning Legion to Azeroth? Couldn't we have an expansion where we deal with the Naga/Zandalari/Kul'Tiras/etc. and in the end right as we defeat Azshara, she summons the Legion and that sparks the next expansion? I think this makes a little more sense, but I was wondering what you guys think

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest reason is Wrathion said point blank the Legion is coming and that's why this war has to end NOW.

Also the fact Blizz is hyping the return of Turalyon.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    There's heaps of indicators that the next expansion will deal with the legion, but it's possible that the events you speculate about, fighting Azshara and she summons them in her final moments could be baked into a Legion based expansion. The way i think about it, what could we do in an entire legion based expansion? Travel to other planets, massive space ships? how would that work?

I think it might be likely that we are alerted to the legions presence, and we level up on Azeroth and deal with conflicts on the home front (e.g. azshara, old gods etc) and as we battle on the home front the legion are flying to Azeroth. When we get to the last tier of the expansion the legion have arrived and we face off against Sargeras. (maybe on his back & then fight his fingernails that are clawed into the maelstrom?)
    Hi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    There's heaps of indicators that the next expansion will deal with the legion, but it's possible that the events you speculate about, fighting Azshara and she summons them in her final moments could be baked into a Legion based expansion. The way i think about it, what could we do in an entire legion based expansion? Travel to other planets, massive space ships? how would that work?

I think it might be likely that we are alerted to the legions presence, and we level up on Azeroth and deal with conflicts on the home front (e.g. azshara, old gods etc) and as we battle on the home front the legion are flying to Azeroth. When we get to the last tier of the expansion the legion have arrived and we face off against Sargeras. (maybe on his back & then fight his fingernails that are clawed into the maelstrom?)
    if the expansion will be about Azshara and her Nagas. it'll probably be a colonial-themed expansion where the Alliance and Horde use ships and trade to further dominate the zone (since after Garrosh we will see some peace treaty because the next leader will be more moderate.)

it'll be like how Britain and other European countries colonized America. :P I for one like too see Alliance "blue coats" and pirate-themed Orcs unwillingly working together while secretly planning against one another. kinda reminds me of Warcraft 2's art cover.

EDIT : Kul Tiras will most likely appear in next expansion. call it a guess. but if the next expansion is Naga-based that also means it's sea based. and which faction has the most powerful naval power among Alliance? Kul Tiras.
    Last edited by Gamevizier; 2013-05-07 at 04:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    if the expansion will be about Azshara and her Nagas. it'll probably be a colonial-themed expansion where the Alliance and Horde use ships and trade to further dominate the zone
    i don't think a "sea" or "piratey" based expansion would sell, but alot of people said the same about pandas... i dunno it just doesnt sound too appealing if the entire expansion is about Azshara & nagas.
    Hi

15+ Year Old Account
    i don't think a "sea" or "piratey" based expansion would sell, but alot of people said the same about pandas... i dunno it just doesnt sound too appealing if the entire expansion is about Azshara & nagas.
    did i mention Old Night Elf ruins? yeah the expansion will most likely feature them, and the popular "Tomb Of Sargares", before Gul'Dan died in that tomb, he faced an arch-demon that might have been Sargares himself or some form of him (warcraft 3). not mentioning the Undead Orcs of Gul'Dan's army... and perhaps some Orcs of Stormreaver Clan, along with Drak'Thul, are still alive?
    Last edited by Gamevizier; 2013-05-07 at 05:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh come one... dont you want an expansion called 'Pirates of the Burning Legion' with a boss named Captain Jack Naga to fight?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW can sell almost anything to their majority. I hate the pandas and the cheap asian feel of Pandaria/MoP, but I'm playing because I enjoy WoW and the game and my characters. As long as it isn't total crap, I think they can sell almost any idea to at least 75% of the current player-base.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loslax View Post
    This is my first time posting on this site (yay) but I was thinking about the next expansion recently and I was wondering a few things.
    First of all, I was wondering why everyone thinks that the Burning Legion is coming next expansion? I know that Wrathion has hinted at it, but as of right now, we still have so many threats to deal with on Azeroth. Zul and Rastakhan are still living large (as far as we know) and Azshara and the Old Gods are still at large as well. Wouldn't it make sense for us to take care of these threats before we begin to deal with the Burning Legion?
    Second, wasn't Azshara originally the one who lured the Burning Legion to Azeroth? Couldn't we have an expansion where we deal with the Naga/Zandalari/Kul'Tiras/etc. and in the end right as we defeat Azshara, she summons the Legion and that sparks the next expansion? I think this makes a little more sense, but I was wondering what you guys think
    Everything has a clear explanation: the next expansion will be The Burning Crusade Part II, i.e. we will not end with the legion at all, that may be reserved for the last expansion of WoW. The expansion of the South Seas have to wait a little longer ...

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually think it would sell. When MoP was first trademarked a lot of people were excited for the idea of island hopping, player boats, all that fun stuff. Then they were super excited for the ship battle in the cinematic, also for the possibility of a ship battling BG down the line.

Of course none of that panned out, but I think the playerbase would like an expansion on that theme.

But I also think it won't be next. Blizz has overhyped the legion, and next expansion not being the legion could actually discredit their story team.

Turalyon and Alliera's return will suck if they have new voice actors who don't justify the old ones. I'm looking at you lich king version of Arthas, Varimathras and Sylvanas...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Azshara ushered in the legion ye...but that was before she became a naga and started serving old gods......as far as I know old gods do not want sargeras here....then again blizzard can make it so that luring sargeras to azeroth is part of the old gods plan to break free.......but otherwise azshara has no more connection with the legion.
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a Burning Legion expac is looming because we spent the last 3 expansions on azeroth and we need a change of scenery... I know I do at least... I wanna explore a new world, had enough of azeroth for now... no one says that we can't have an azshara expansion or w/e ... but I think right new it is time for a new Planet to explore ala outland, maybe Xoroth or even Argus, seeing the Draenei go "home" after all this time would be kinda nice. No1 says this HAS to be the last burning legion expansion and there can't be any after... we could just go there and kill some of the lieutenants but the strongest force isn't present(KJ/Sargeras)...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    I think a Burning Legion expac is looming because we spent the last 3 expansions on azeroth and we need a change of scenery... I know I do at least... I wanna explore a new world, had enough of azeroth for now... no one says that we can't have an azshara expansion or w/e ... but I think right new it is time for a new Planet to explore ala outland, maybe Xoroth or even Argus, seeing the Draenei go "home" after all this time would be kinda nice. No1 says this HAS to be the last burning legion expansion and there can't be any after... we could just go there and kill some of the lieutenants but the strongest force isn't present(KJ/Sargeras)...
    Big point raised there.

We've spent the last 3 expansions on Azeroth. We've seen Northrend, the "missing parts" of EK/Kalimdor, and Pandaria in that time. The only known territory of Azeroth left unconquered has been the Great Sea (the inevitable but not necessarily next Azshara expansion). Either in Expansion V, Expansion VI, or both, we are not going to have a new continent on Azeroth.

Honestly one big complaint I see thrown around against a Legion expansion is "we cannot kill Sargeras yet." But people are missing two key points. First, Kil'jaedan did not die at the Sunwell, this has been confirmed. Second, Sargeras is still missing. At one point it was even said that Kil'jaedan has all but usurped control of the Legion during Sargeras' absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasti View Post
    Azshara ushered in the legion ye...but that was before she became a naga and started serving old gods......as far as I know old gods do not want sargeras here....then again blizzard can make it so that luring sargeras to azeroth is part of the old gods plan to break free.......but otherwise azshara has no more connection with the legion.
    They actually "helped" summoning him the first time for that exact reason.

There's definitely a BL expansion coming down the line... but i wouldn't bet either way on it being the next one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Big point raised there.

We've spent the last 3 expansions on Azeroth. We've seen Northrend, the "missing parts" of EK/Kalimdor, and Pandaria in that time. The only known territory of Azeroth left unconquered has been the Great Sea (the inevitable but not necessarily next Azshara expansion). Either in Expansion V, Expansion VI, or both, we are not going to have a new continent on Azeroth.

Honestly one big complaint I see thrown around against a Legion expansion is "we cannot kill Sargeras yet." But people are missing two key points. First, Kil'jaedan did not die at the Sunwell, this has been confirmed. Second, Sargeras is still missing. At one point it was even said that Kil'jaedan has all but usurped control of the Legion during Sargeras' absence.
    Also this, we don't even know where Sargeras is or what he's doing... so next expac could be all about finding hints about his wereabouts, then 6th expansion azshara starts stirring up shit and we have to deal with her and then 7th expansion could be about bringing down Sargeras... and closing expansion 8th one(or at least a major content patch, like mini expansion in scale) The titans come back to azeroth and we TRY to stop reorigination but fail to do so and are put in a "cryogenic" state by w/e forces and titans Reoriginate Azeroth... so they set the setting for WoW 2 with new engine and new races and everything but our characters are still in "cryogenic" state so we get taken out of it later on in New Azeroth's timeline... sometime pretty close to current wow timeline(tens of thousands of years after re-origination) and it's like importing our current wow chars in wow 2 but everything is different(but still similar obviously since it's the same planet)

also like the poster below me said, the burning legion won't wait for us to finish our chores.... they will most likely attack when we are vulnerable, and when could we be more vulnerable than right after a fucking rebellion...
    Last edited by Skorpionss; 2013-05-07 at 06:24 PM.

Wouldn't it make sense for us to take care of these threats before we begin to deal with the Burning Legion?
    I wasn't aware that the Burning Legion was operating based off of our schedule. Maybe if we ask them politely, they'll patiently wait for us to eliminate all other threats before starting their invasion.

I'm not saying that I know 100% that the next expansion will be a Burning Legion themed expansion, but it seems pretty likely at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be more interested in an Azshara expansion than a Burning Legion one, honestly - there's bound to be plenty of Old God related happenings going on. The best concept idea I've heard so far is Azshara raising her sunken kingdom to the surface to form a new continent, as well as turning island regions like Zandalar, Tel Abim, and Kul Tiras into zones.

I don't see her having anything to do with the Burning Legion though - Sargeras was a passing fling over 10,000 years ago. Azshara's been under the influence of the Old Gods that whole time, she'd be more interested in serving them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I don't see her having anything to do with the Burning Legion though - Sargeras was a passing fling over 10,000 years ago. Azshara's been under the influence of the Old Gods that whole time, she'd be more interested in serving them.
    The tomb of Sargares is located somewhere near where Azshara's sunken city is. and theres potential for that tomb to be a very intresting raid. perhaps a Gnome/Goblin race to dig the tomb up and see what's in there?

if the Naga expansion is indeed the next expansion, and the burning legion raid is after that, the Tomb will make for a very nice introduction to the said expansion (perhaps as a last raid which prepares players for the burning legion invasion.)