Page 1 of 2
LastLast

World of Starcraft

So I was just thinking about Titan, which, for all we know, could be Super-Pony-Land, and thought about the World of Starcraft Theory. It would have three factions, yeahduh. But wait. Zerg? Faction? Playable? How? They don't wear clothes. Aww. ...But, wait. How awesome would it be if the game had three completely separate sets of gear for the three factions? That would make Zerglings playable, and their "Gear" Would be mutations. And people wouldn't whine about cross-faction auction houses, because my Baneling doesn't want your stupid Terran helmet. Mother of god. I would throw my wallet at them. Who wouldn't LOVE to play as any sort of Zerg creature, in an MMO? Think it's possible? Blizz did get the balls to add Neutral Pandaren in WoW, after all. Just, you know. Thoughts?

Mod edit: Just a reminder to keep the discussion to the hypothetical World of Starcraft game. Titan speculation and theories go here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1246232
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-05-08 at 02:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard has already made it very clear that Titan is a new IP.

/endthread?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, what chazus said... It's a new IP, there is really nothing to discuss.

(btw the logical thing would be toss and terran playable with zerg as PVE content.)
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    And even if we weren't talking about Titan, and rather specifically "world of starcraft"... That's a horse that has been beaten dead for years.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

i would kill for world of starcraft. sweet jesus i would. like, literally sacrifice virgins at the alter of chris metzen. starcraft is perfect because it mixes the magic powers (psionics) with tech stuff. it's awesome <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, it's very likely that any World of Starcraft game would play like planetside, nothing like WoW, it would make far far more sense that way for the setting... and that is something I would actually like to see.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    Can you imagine playing a zergling and getting shot to pieces every second?

I'd love an mmo in the starcraft universe, but yeah how would they handle the classes... and abilities? "fuckyeah I'm a marine... I can... shoot stuff.... and stimpack now and then". And that's pretty much all I can think of... what about zerg? "I'm an ultralisk... and I... cleave things".

Deleted
    I really can't see how this would happen.
    First look at classes. The terran could support marines, reapers and marauders, protoss could support zealot and maybe stalker, zerg could support zergling, baneling, hydralisk and roach. Look at these and tell me how on earth that would work out regarding balance. Marines are weaker then the marauder (so everybody chooses marauder). Zergling would be an all time low on the zerg side (baneling would as well be a pretty fucking boring class, and repairs would be a bitch)
    Second look at how to implement the rest of the units. You could perhabs include being able to hop into a tank or take control over a ultralisk, but it would have to be very specif quests or areas. And you would need to be faded in all the time, since these monsters are big as hell and killing stuff would be impossible with 20 of them around. Flying however could be cool and could probably work.
    Third look at the world. You could have different planets with different landscapes and overarching themes. Problem is, who is the enemy? The to other factions' AI or players? Or a completely other race? And if it is the two other factions; if you're a marine, wouldn't it feel odd to kill a hundred zealots or zerglings? I can see some ways around this but it would require some hard work.

The only way I see a World of Starcraft happening, would be a MMOFPS like Planetside 2. But it would have a major problem with balance, since nobody want to be a standard marine/zealot/zergling because they would be annihilated by anything else. How annoying it would be picking a tank or marauder and being raped by air, and just take the hits because you can't aim up? Also there are a lot of support roles that would most likely never be filled. Who wants to be a medivac just strolling around high up aiming to shot at your own guys. Or the sentry putting up forcefield or guardian shields and tickle enemy units. The only fun would be running around with a massive group of people that could communicate in a good faction. So lone wolfing would be almost an impossibility.

It is possible, but I think it would require all of Blizzards skill and money to make it an even average MMOFPS.

Deleted
    http://upheavalarts.com/starcraftuniverse/

There is already a fan made game in development. It's in the arcade and partly playable now.

I really don't see a problem with classes. Units in Warcraft were also very limited, with champions having max. 4 and units having 1-2 spells. Yet Blizzard was able to develop 10 classes based on the archetypes from Warcraft.

The same could be done with Starcraft classes. Merge a few units here, add a few skills there, bang, you have a new class. Or you could start out as a regular marine and develop your character based on what role you wish to perform. For example you can choose to be a medic at level 10, you lose the ability to use an assault rifle and are limited to pistol/smg, but you can now heal your friends. Then you could get something like dispells from WoW, but you would neutralize a zerg toxin or so, and on it goes. At some level you would gain the ability to pilot a medivac.

Or you could choose to be a marauder, with limited AoE, but massive durability, filling the role of the tank.

Or you could choose ghost. Or stay a marine, with more benefits and all the disadvantages marines have.

And then there are Protoss. You would start out as a regular zealot, choosing to become a Dark/High templar, an improved zealot, or you could get a mission in which you die and become an Immortal/Stalker.

The possibilities are endless. These are just examples I made up within 5 minutes.

The game could be an advanced MMOFPS with PvE as well as PvP content. I doubt very much we will ever get a Starcraft MMO, but one can dream, and it's certainly not a problem for Blizzard to develop enough classes.

Deleted
    I wouldn't mind a SC mmo if they made it something like planetside 2.

Just a reminder to keep the discussion to the hypothetical World of Starcraft game. Titan speculation and theories go here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1246232

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakazam View Post
    http://upheavalarts.com/starcraftuniverse/

There is already a fan made game in development. It's in the arcade and partly playable now.
    Yup. It's really quite good too. They just need to fix the really really bad controls, but other than it's great.

Deleted
    Yeah it is actually, was surprised how much depth it had. Indeed the middle mouse to change the camera is horrendous!

Deleted
    No, I wouldn't want World of Starcraft. You know why? I saw that WoW ruined some things of Warcraft lore badly. The fact is that an MMO is not a good way to present a story. And after how good I found the story of Starcraft 2, having it ruined as well in a World of Starcraft because of MMO limitations would just make me sad.

Oh, a single player RPG, maybe like Skyrim but with some co-op action too for up to... 10 people maybe? Sure. But a full fledged MMO no.

I also wouldn't mind a special map or something, a campaign in Starcraft being an RPG like thing, I did play the arcade map and found it ok (except camera, that was awful).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    No, I wouldn't want World of Starcraft. You know why? I saw that WoW ruined some things of Warcraft lore badly. The fact is that an MMO is not a good way to present a story. And after how good I found the story of Starcraft 2, having it ruined as well in a World of Starcraft because of MMO limitations would just make me sad.

Oh, a single player RPG, maybe like Skyrim but with some co-op action too for up to... 10 people maybe? Sure. But a full fledged MMO no.

I also wouldn't mind a special map or something, a campaign in Starcraft being an RPG like thing, I did play the arcade map and found it ok (except camera, that was awful).
    That's why I feel it would need to play like Planetside... Just throw the three factions on a planet and fight for control of as much area as possible...

No story to ruin, just FPSMMO gameplay with vehicles and whatnot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    That's why I feel it would need to play like Planetside... Just throw the three factions on a planet and fight for control of as much area as possible...

No story to ruin, just FPSMMO gameplay with vehicles and whatnot.
    Ah, you mean more or less it running with the RTS in parallel and the MMOFPS being asort of game for free time? Like a CounterStrike MMO? That might work...

Deleted
    I think World of Starcraft would be amazing and a genius move by Blizzard because due to the universe it just simply couldn't be a copy paste of wow in space. I think it would bring enough originality to stand along side WoW.

However sadly I don't think Blizzard have enough staff to do both games as I always read blue posts about them having to be extremely limited with the amount WoW content released each patch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I really can't see how this would happen.
    First look at classes. The terran could support marines, reapers and marauders, protoss could support zealot and maybe stalker, zerg could support zergling, baneling, hydralisk and roach. Look at these and tell me how on earth that would work out regarding balance. Marines are weaker then the marauder (so everybody chooses marauder). Zergling would be an all time low on the zerg side (baneling would as well be a pretty fucking boring class, and repairs would be a bitch)
    Second look at how to implement the rest of the units.
    What about things like ghosts (dps), hellbat (tanky-dps?), medic/queen(healers)? Dark- and high templars would be pretty obvious as well.

You could bend the "classes" a bit as well. Just because a shaman champion in Warcraft 3 only had 4 abilites, you definitly do not see shamans running around with 4 abilites today. There is so many options for customization imo. I can of course see a big problem with the Baneling. But the zergling... just because a zergling is a squishy unit, it wouldn't necessarily have to be bad in a MMO. It could be a rogue-like or high mobility melee damage dealer for example? So many options

I for one would love a Starcraft MMO!