Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tureni View Post
    Queue the "RARARAAAR WOW IS GNA END SOON" crowd
    Queue the "EVERYTHING IS FINE, MORE 'ACCESSIBILITY' WILL FIX IT. AND IF IT DOESN'T THEN IT'S BECAUSE WOW IS OLD." crowd.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Man, one of the shortest MMO articles I've seen and one of the highest reply numbers I can immediately remember.
    Oh i love reading all these comments with my coffee this morning.!

All i see is that people have so passion for this game. Bad comments, fan comments, long comments, criticism comment, support comments....man all of you point out that the game is not over!!!That you kinda freak out if something is changing in WoW haha.

Yes they lost asian market(wasn't pandaria a bait for asian market?) and some EU/US people. But, don't forget competiotion that went f2play or how is the other phrase called?free 2 something.

It is expected, and no need to mean about it or wish them to loose more...cause guess what , if you read the post they already know they will loose more. That doesn't mean the game is dying, it means there are more games around for people to test,play, enjoy and come back ....for Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    I don't care. I'm still enjoying this game and expansion and will continue to play and enjoy for a long time.
    And more than 1,3 million people do care since they are not having fun anymore. But I guess that is the "minority" so who cares.

---------- Post added 2013-05-10 at 07:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I actually think WoW is pretty fun right now. I mean, I don't play it, but I subbed for a month to see all of Throne of Thunder then unsubbed as soon as I was done with it.

The problem is the theme of the expansion. It just doesn't appeal to the MMO/Fantasy nerd demographic. I used to work retail and every time I tried to suggestive sell a MoP pre-order, I was dismissed with a statement along the lines of, "not interested in Pandaren/pandas/kungfu pandas." It really does make that much of a difference, IMO. If WoW wants to attract customers, the next expansion needs to appeal to the general RPG fanbase. Demons, monsters, terrifying villains, etc.. Better yet, make it appeal to Warcraft fans and utilize characters fans are familiar with.
    Except sales were fine. The problem is that people quit during the expansion. A lot of people apparently. The only reason I can think of why people leave half way an expansion is because it is boring.

Maybe they could have sold more but I don't think a theme has such a big impact. There are still monsters and demons.

---------- Post added 2013-05-10 at 07:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mikencarly View Post
    lol people are funny china players dont even play with me at all what a joke if trolls think that matters.
    It's a joke if you think it doesn't matter when a game loses 1,3 million subscribers in one quarter. A game that you are playing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crookids View Post

Haters really need to just accept that the game will simply never die.

Oh my, I am speechless at posts like this.
    The problem is that this game will die sooner exactly because of players like you. The ones who say "WoW is still clearly the best MMO around", "WoW at Ultra has better graphics than the other MMOs, etc. etc. No matter what.
    No, that's not the case. Scream as much as you want, it doesn't make it true. It's just the MMO you still like and play. And by denying every problem and jumping at the throat of those who raise some legitimate criticism you are exactly contributing to its demise. There's ton of other online games around which offer more content, more frequently and for free. Very often they offer high quality content, not rarely better than WoW's. In EU and US WoW is already ahead other MMOs in terms of player base by a very slight margin. And new big competitors are coming soon. What Blizzard should do is to innovate more, release more content, making it cheaper or possibly eliminating the monthly fee altogheter (which almost nobody pays otherwise in 2013, and it's absurd in any case: in 8 months they have been able to release just 2 content patch, that's almost a theft). The problem is that instead by keeping paying every single month and bashing everyone who pressure Blizzard for the better by saying that the game is perfect and will never die, you are exactly killing this game. Good job.

Blizzard knows very well, as they officially stated, that at the end of the year the game will be played by much less people than today.
    They know it, we know it. Maybe you should open your eyes and wonder and advocate how this game has to CHANGE if you want it to be successful. Otherwise they will just cash cow it until it's not profitable anymore, and goodbye.

As a matter of fact, screaming that it's perfect and it will never die doesn't make it true. Because it isn't. That's how life goes, pretty much with everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    as one of the ones who quit, it wasn't "consumed content faster" it was took to fracking long to do anything. it was heirlooms were too damn expensive and it took too long to get lesser and greater runes. it was shitty drop rates even with runes of fate and taking too long to gear up because of gate after gate if my playstyle of choice was to roll alts rather than "mains." i was a casual player and i've quit and come back countless times. but i'm also fairly certain I came back for shorter and shorter periods of time before becoming too frustrated. it was also paying 15 bucks a month and having to deal with shit talking assholes. 5.3 for me is too little too late. while I don't have anything to replace wow with i'm done being sucked back in. fuck the game, i look forward to it's fall from grace.

oh yeah and then there's CRZ...in my mind they wanted to force players to play longer to try and get more money and instead people saw though it or just didn't feel like what they did fro recreation should feel so much like work. i know you people don't care about my opinion most likely and that's fine. that's the same attitude the devs had after all. after leaving reasons why i quit ever time before and only ever sometimes seeing responses to those reasons in game I didn't bother leaving any this time. for ever problem in my mind they fix they create a new one. CRZ being a perfect example.

btw I only came back to find a post about this after seeing the news made headlines on yahoo.

Im happy that I quited at the start of the cata. It hasnt been even a year , even A YEAR since pandaria expension launched and wow has lost more then 2 millions subs. Worst part is they are expecting more drops. They are aware of even they package a mass of crap and label it as blizzard game it sells. D3 was a mini game , wow sucks since TBC. Their only game worth to spend $ is sc2. HOTS was a big upgrade to sc2 experience but i dont buy any other blizzard game because they are rich now and dont work hard as they do. There are lots of competitors too , swtor , gw2. Ive been playing swtor since its launched and im happy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    One does not simply play same game for 20 years.
    Explain sports.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurushockin View Post
    Wow is still strong! Even if it dropped to 4mil, it would still be holding on strong. So not much to say here.
    How do you figure? If it dropped that low realms on the US servers would be deader than they are now, you do realize a good chunk of the subscribers are in the east right? No? Go look at the servers, I played on Blackhand back when it was a medium/high pop server now it's flagged for new players.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I find absolutely hilarious about this is that casuals weren't engaged but at the same time people still consume content faster than ever and only sub for patches. So not only did they piss off the casuals who payed good money for their game they weren't able to sat the desires of content locusts anyway and give people "something to do" as a way to keep them subbed 12/12 months of the year. Mists is a colossal failure. I said as much but the crow that will have to be eaten now... Enjoy
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Proud to be -1 in that count ^.^

Maybe if they listened to why people like me quit, they would stop trying to assume why numbers are going down. It isn't that were consuming content too quickly. It is that they only change the story, the quests and fights are not really engaging. Tanking in WoW has not changed hardly at all in 6 years.

I quit last week after 7 years. Got my childs week achievement and the long trip achievement and im done for now. nothing is interesting anymore. the lore sucks (imo) and that was the main thing keeping me in the game. maybe next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Explain sports.

That is a really poor example.

Sports do not require content patches every few months. You cannot add content to sports and there is no need. Each game (let's use basketball as an example) is different from the last in terms of game plans and what will ultimately happen in the game is different each time.

WoW content: This is your content. It will always be the same thing.
    Basketball: The score will not be, say, 98-96 every time. Maybe one team will win and then lose next time. Maybe the score won't be close at all. Maybe the same people will not be playing for as long or at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Explain sports.
    Yeah, the last content patch for football (soccer) was really great. New maps, new mechanics.

Maybe you could figure out on your own why your example fails, hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else reminded of that line from the SC trailer?

"About damn time."

Meh... It had an incredible run and had a massive impact on the market. However, its getting pretty long in the tooth and will probably just slowly fade away.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Meh... It had an incredible run and had a massive impact on the market. However, its getting pretty long in the tooth and will probably just slowly fade away.
    Old MMOs never die, they just.....fade away.

Except WoW won't just fade away. It will stick around for a loooooong time. When the next revolutionary MMO comes along that revitalizes the genre with mindblowing new features and a completely new design on how they are approached, WoW will still have its player base and will still be getting new content and expansions, just like EverQuest continues to do so. It will just be much much smaller than it is today and smaller than it will be tomorrow or next year.

It will continue to decline, to shrink, but it won't just simply stop being an active MMO.

Until the original EverQuest rises from the ashes and dominates all MMOs again! RAAAWR!

Deleted
    10 year old game, most of the subscribers that are playing now and leaving are from the Wotlk era, a lot of older subscribers already left. I played WoW since 2006 until 2012 pretty good run actually, never had a bad moment with the game, but as it is now, I'd play anything else just not WoW. I imagine it's like that for a lot of people that commited a lot of their lives to this game. Is WoW dying? Sure it is, but it will not fade away completely for a very long time and it will stay strong for years to come. What people usually fail to understand is that it is a good thing for WoW to die at some point, that leaves room for the next great MMO that will keep us occupied as WoW did long ago.

On a side note, 1.3 million subs is actually pretty huge, I have no doubt WoW will take another big turn in the next expansion. I really hope to see the return of a more dark, more real wow lore from now on.
    Last edited by mmoc79af98f473; 2013-05-10 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Except WoW won't just fade away. It will stick around for a loooooong time.
    Not seeing the evidence for this.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanasm View Post
    I agree with you on all counts, but I think you've pointed out something I missed, rather than something I mis-stated. The two statements, yours and mine, are independent ideas. Fundamentally, I think the distilled essence of your "cobbling and fracturing" argument boils down to one sentence: They clumsily tried to bring back social interaction by compartmentalizing everything. I think that's a brilliant observation.

Now, I suspect it was done with good intentions. I'd guess someone finally pointed out that WoW's subscribers are (were? too soon?) overwhelmingly social gamers -- not divisible into "casual" vs. "hardcore", but people who play for social interaction, mainly. Compartamentalization was, I think, a well-intended-but-derp-filled means of forcing social interaction; the thought process being roughly "well, if we divide the player base up based on similar activities, they'll interact again!". To say the least, I think they're doin' it wrong.

Incidentally, I'm just as much a social gamer as everyone else. I subscribe because my guild subscribes. We've been friends for years -- we've barbecued together, gone drinking together, got Light of Dawn and Herald of the Titans together back when those both mattered. If they left, I'd unsubscribe that day, because there's no other social interaction left.

PS Believe me, I think they never should've abandoned "in game" hard mode triggers. I firmly believe that Ulduar's triggering system was the single cleverest thing the developers ever did -- and they've done some impressively clever things, over the past decade.
    I agree with a lot of points in these posts, but as of MOP the game has taken a whole new refreshing direction in exploration, community and moving slowly away from the stand in Stormwind and queue method. I just don't like people complaining about things like everyone hates them. I enjoy failed and rep and getting rewards/achievements with reputations. People forget that dailys was introduced to push people to go back out in the world after leveling. An MMO is about questing and if you don't like quests, which I find interactive and engaging, then perhaps this genre isn't for you. Also, people keep saying the game is too lobby esque, yet they complain about everything that is not.

Rare spawns, rare summoning, world bosses, the most in-depth achievement system in any game, transmog, brawlers guild, mount drops, vanity toy drops, events, challenge modes... And the list goes on. These are all things that encourage the opposite of lobbying. Yet people keep harping on a mythology consistently fading.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Not seeing the evidence for this.
    EverQuest should be evidence enough. WoW doesn't need millions of subscribers to continue on and still be profitable.
    If they maintain 3 million active subscribers, they'd still be huge. Think of how massive a drop that it and yet they'd still be profitable.

EQ did finally go free to play, but pretty sure they've been chugging along for years at 1 million or less (pretty sure less) while still subscription based.

WoW can still lose a lot of subscribers and keep plugging along. Every other MMO out there is evidence of it.