Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Would This 'Solve' WoW's Decline?

1.3 million is a big number. Bigger than 99% of us probably expected. We all have ideas on why the game has dropped, and even more ideas on how to 'fix' it. This includes me.

One thing players have asked for for a very long time is Veteran Rewards. It's a great system, but alone, does it fix things? Possibly.

What if the time you subbed to WoW made WoW's sub cheaper and removed certain restrictions?

6 Months - 10% off the sub
    1 Year(s) - 15% off the sub, 2 extra character slots
    1.5 Year(s) - 20% off the sub, access to a Cataclysm Server (4.3), 2 extra character slots per realm
    2 Year(s) - 25% off sub, access to a Cataclysm Server (4.3), 3 extra character slots
    2.5 Year(s) - 30% off sub, access to a Cataclysm Server (4.3), 3 extra character slots
    3 Year(s) - 35% off sub, access to a Cata and/or Wrath server (3.3/4.3), 4 toon slots
    4 Year(s) - 40% off sub, access to Cata/Wrath servers, 6 toon slots, free character realm transfers
    5 Year(s) - 50% off sub, access to Cata/Wrath servers, 6 toon slots, free character realm and faction transfers
    6 Year(s) - 60% off sub, access to Cata/Wrath/TBC servers, 8 toon slots, free realm/faction transfers
    7 Year(s) - 75% off sub, access to Cata/Wrath/TBC servers, 8 toon slots, free transfers
    8 Year(s) - 80% off sub, access to Cata/Wrath/TBC/Vanilla servers, 8 toon slots, free tranfers
    9 Year(s) - 90% off sub, access to old servers, 8 toon slots, free transfers, new toons made start at Level 80
    10 Year(s) - No Sub, access to old servers, 10 toon slots, free transfers, new toons begin at L85

Would this help?

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

I don't think having the option to do old content is really going to bring anyone back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how this would fix problems, the game is old.

It would definitely help the NUMBER of subs, but it wouldn't do much for their $$ if they started to take off the sub costs.

Although, everyone should get 1 transfer free per month; veteran players should get like 3+ a month.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    I don't think having the option to do old content is really going to bring anyone back.
    Speak for yourself. We just got done talking about vanilla and TBC servers.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doubt it. People aren't leaving because it's too expensive. This drop is because the game isn't worth the cost anymore.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

That's interesting. However that wouldn't appeal to new gamers at all, as you would have to be a veteran to benefit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm everywhere and nowhere at the same time!
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Doubt it. People aren't leaving because it's too expensive. This drop is because the game isn't worth the cost anymore.
    My thoughts exactly. But well, they are still at 8.3m subs and I believe they will only consider to opt out of the subs base mmo type once they drop to around 5m or 4m subs.

Quote Originally Posted by sixx View Post
    My thoughts exactly. But well, they are still at 8.3m subs and I believe they will only consider to opt out of the subs base mmo type once they drop to around 5m or 4m subs.
    Yes, but at 75% off wouldn't it be worth it, then?

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sixx View Post
    Seems most companies drop out at about 1.5-2 million.

---------- Post added 2013-05-09 at 12:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    Yes, but at 75% off wouldn't it be worth it, then?
    If you have to play for 5 years to get it, then yes.

No.

WoW is just old, dude. Also, why do people keep bringing up old content servers? That appeals to a tiny fraction of the userbase, and it has a very limited lifespan. You go back, level a toon, gear up a bit, experience some nostalgia, maybe do some raids and then you're done with it and never touch it again. That's just a waste of resources to appeal to a tiny minority for a short period of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    I really can't see Blizzard.. Activision better said, doing this. If the new expansion will be focusing on the Burning Legion I expect the numbers to go up again. For how long.. that only depends on Blizzard. I know for sure that I'm giving a try to the next expansion. (I quitted around early 5.1)

This doesn't exactly affect China (or the other eastern countries) and that is where the majority of the losses are coming from. I don't think it's the price of the subs that are causing loss as much as there are simply better looking games that are also newer and F2P that WoW has to compete with.

WoW is an old and dated game. There are better looking games that would probably appeal more to the Asian markets, like Blade and Soul or Tera. It's kind of hard to pinpoint anything exact, but I feel like an overhaul in graphics is a start.

I don't see how massive reductions in subscription costs helps Blizzard at all. Blizzard is interested in revenue, not number of subscriptions. The only reason subscriptions matter is because 1 subscription = X revenue (in the current system without graded subscription prices).

Subscription costs and character slots are hardly the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Subscription costs and character slots are hardly the issue.
    Some people don't want to believe Blizz actually screwed up the game more than in Cata. They'd rather blame player greed.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Speak for yourself. We just got done talking about vanilla and TBC servers.
    If enough people wanted these private servers, Blizz would have started making money off them. But the thing is, they don't. You think you want a private server, but then you realize its content that will never change. Content that will never be updated. That's why no private server has been able to stay open on its merit alone. They need donated from P2W gear.

Deleted
    Everytime there a sub drop theres like 2 million of these threads, its prob down to burnout of an aging user base and many awesome free mmos'. Path of Exile for one.

Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    It would bring me back to have old servers where the content is relevant at level instead of just stuff I can run for "fun" alone at 90. I miss the old game how it used to be. Call it nostalgia, but I would come back instantly for Vanilla or TBC servers.

As for the OP's idea, it's horrible. Blizzard is a company and as a company needs to make money. Under your idea, the game would be free for veteran players. In other words, no profits. Someone playing since Vanilla WoW would have a 90% deduction under your idea. That means they'd play $1.50 a month.

Just for kicks, lets assume that only 250,000 players of the 8.3 million current ones have been around since launch. Under the current model of $15 a month, those players pay $3,750,000 a month. Under your proposed new model, they'd only pay $375,000 a month. That's a loss of $3,375,000 a month. Completely idiotic from a business stand point. That's under the hypothetical situation for sure, but just an example of what your idea would cost the company. Essentially, giving discounts for loyalty results in a bankrupt company.

How about anyone who signs up for a 12 month contract gets a free copy of their next big game?