Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Michigan school district lays off all its teachers

"The Board of Education in Buena Vista, Mich., has declared a financial emergency. The school district lacks the funds to pay teachers for the rest of the school year, MLive.com reports.
    Students from the Buena Vista School District have not attended classes in a week, according to MLive.com. The district laid off all its teachers earlier this week."
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...143958064.html

Never thought it could happen ... Boy was I wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

10+ Year Old Account
    They where defrauding the government, got caught and had their funding cut. Sucks that the students are going to be the ones screwed by this.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

This is probably many of these kids dream come true.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    They where defrauding the government, got caught and had their funding cut. Sucks that the students are going to be the ones screwed by this.
    Pretty much this, bunch of kids got fucked over because of greed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's Michigan. That state has not been doing too well economically for awhile. They might not have had a choice.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Well, it's Michigan. That state has not been doing too well economically for awhile. They might not have had a choice.
    That's what I was thinking. Nothing I can find really says where the ill goten money was going.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Why not arrest and sentence the fraudsters, not cut funding for education. This is the dumbest government response I have ever heard of. It's truly disgusting.

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't it the superintendents and execs who were doing the fraud and not the teachers themselves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Similar to the NJ issue. Our Governor put out the budget and the schools were given less than they normally get. So was everyone though, not just the schools. Then the teachers union and administrators and such, decided to fire teachers and/or cut their pay. But then they blamed the Governor for them having to fire teachers. Instead they could have cut a shit ton of administration who is the assistant to the assistant's errand boy.

But that is state government, gotta watch out for your cronies.

This'll end in an even more expensive lawsuit; fraud or not, you can't prohibit American children from public education.

Lock up the fraudsters, finish the school year with as little further commotion as possible (substitutes, neighboring school districts, whatever), and sort out the permanent solution to this problem over the summer break.

10+ Year Old Account
    Curious if any of the teachers will set up off campus classes to finish the year. It would make for a great community bonding session and the kids would get the education expected for that school year. Also a hell of a way to make head lines for a positive reason rather than a negative one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Eh...not like there is much of a school year left. If it is anything like my high school the teachers are not even really trying to teach and only hold students to have to do "super important" test to make sure they just do not take all their absence/sick days.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    As a teacher, this boils my blood. But, I can't say that I'm completely surprised... it seems that if you have money in the 6 digit range per year, you can get away with anything in this country.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Bet the superintendent got a bonus

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    As a teacher, this boils my blood. But, I can't say that I'm completely surprised... it seems that if you have money in the 6 digit range per year, you can get away with anything in this country.
    I have nothing to add to this, except to say that I love your avatar photo.
    When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table...

Guarantee you every one involved with this from the teachers to the administrators to the politicians are all DEMOCRATS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Guarantee you every one involved with this from the teachers to the administrators to the politicians are all DEMOCRATS.
    Guarantee you that everyone involved with this from the teachers and the administrators to the politicians are all REPUBLICANS.

See? I can make baseless inflammatory comments too.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the district, not the state, I guarantee you the students will find education elsewhere relatively soon. At least the other districts haven't let themselves get too corrupted otherwise they'd be in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    I can't speak for the teachers or the administrator, but the representative in that district is a Republican, so...yeah. Sorry.