Page 38 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    but not being able to, for example, retreat with an army towards the nearest city and join forces with the garrisoned army against an incoming siege, is just retarded. you'd have to park one of the generals outside the city. because logic, right?
    This made me facepalm. Its ok that they want to give character to an army. But not being able to defend a city with 2 armies is stupid.

Deleted
    Why the shit is this game melting my CPU and GPU on low settings (which barely looks better than the original Rome!)?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorakh View Post
    Why the shit is this game melting my CPU and GPU on low settings (which barely looks better than the original Rome!)?
    Because it's a piece of shit, as confirmed by many other people including me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    Because it's a piece of shit, as confirmed by many other people including me.
    im enjoying the game, its just one of the worst launches in gaming history, rivaling sim city 5.

the game needs so many patches and bug fixed, in about 6months it will be a great game.
    dragonmaw - EU

I don't know but that game is a huge disappointment for me... Nothing new and lots of bugs. I'm happy I didn't bought it, saved myself 45€.

Amazingly enough it runs like butter on extreme settings on my gaming laptop (third gen i7 quad core, 8gb of ram, Nvidia 670mx) unless I am in a battle with 4000+ people.

Dont know what the hell is causing issues with people that have setups way better than mine.

The importance of testing on many types of hardware!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    Amazingly enough it runs like butter on extreme settings on my gaming laptop (third gen i7 quad core, 8gb of ram, Nvidia 670mx) unless I am in a battle with 4000+ people.

Dont know what the hell is causing issues with people that have setups way better than mine.
    Most of the people who experience problems have AMD cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post

its so horrible un-optimised.

though ive been told every total war launch is like this?

is this one any worse than usual?
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    I'm so, SO anoyed by the fact I can't split armies as effectively as I used to, most of this is down to me still figuring out some stuff, but I've already lost a couple of cities because I didn't have the ability to send troops back fast enough to defend them. Definately something I hope can be modded to a better place, I'm finding the battles very fun, if a bit short, if they were a little longer I'd be having a better time with them.

Campaign map lags almost 5 x more than the battles themselves which just makes no sense to me, but there you go. Really hope this becomes more playable soon, it's not a terrible game, and I see lots of potential, but there are a lot of things that need to be tweaked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    Yeah, that sounds exceptionally annoying. There's not even a way to turn those off?
    no, but i think it may be only in historical/scripted battles. still kinda awkward for those battles where there just isn't anything to defend, but not really a problem for me, as i play pretty much only campaign.

so far i've only had two field battles, one had a capture point, the other didn't. sure hope that weird one was just a prologue thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    The AI has never had any upkeep cost in any Total War game afaik.
    pretty sure they did, at least in shogun 2, but with heavy increases on income and decreases on upkeep and the like, in addition to being able to recruit large armies more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    This made me facepalm. Its ok that they want to give character to an army. But not being able to defend a city with 2 armies is stupid.
    ikr? =/

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    its just one of the worst launches in gaming history, rivaling sim city 5.
    woah, let's.. not get carried away now, shall we? :P

i mean, most of us are playing, right?^^

Quote Originally Posted by Numeanor View Post
    Nothing new and lots of bugs.
    there's a lot of new stuff actually. i dislike a lot of that stuff actually, and there are quite a few good reason to avoid this game (at least for now) but saying there is "nothing new" is just plain not true.

i dont get how people have such big armies, i tried to make mine big but my food ran out, and my income dropped so low so i had to disband units, but the ai somehow manages to maintain 3 armies of 12units each. no problems with sparta so far, but the 2 barbarians i tried just didn't go well.
    AI in TW series always was cheating with upkeep. If you're really having problems with AI swarming you, you are clearly playing on too high difficulty level. Or perhaps you are using too many mercenaries. There's really no other explanation. I'm playing on Hard as Suebi myself, and I'm not really having trouble so far. At first I got rolled over as Parthia, but I've just made too many enemies too quickly. As Suebi I started utilizing no-aggression pacts and it's working out very well - I'm just fighting 1-2 tribes at a time. With 4 settlements I'm able to field 2 full armies and still get some spare money. So yeah, you must be doing something wrong.

Also, how are you 'running out of food'? Do armies actually need food now? I was always running a surplus, so I never had problems with armies lacking food so far.

no, but i think it may be only in historical/scripted battles. still kinda awkward for those battles where there just isn't anything to defend, but not really a problem for me, as i play pretty much only campaign.

so far i've only had two field battles, one had a capture point, the other didn't. sure hope that weird one was just a prologue thing.
    Unfortunately it's not. I had a campaign battle with a control point myself. It was a defensive battle, so having a control point actually makes SOME sense, but it's still not very fun. Didn't bother me much, though, but I fear to think how much Parthia with it's horse archers must struggle with holding these points.

The one thing I hate is how phalanx works. I played a few turns as Sparta, and it was just so damn annoying. They would break the phalanx at every attack command I gave them.

"So you want us to engage that unit as phalanx? Wouldda be a damn shame if we DREW SWORDS AND CHARGED LOL"

In Rome 1 the run option was simply disabled when phalanx was formed and they would keep the formation at all cost, and now it's pretty much impossible keeping them intact. The only way was to move them up toward other units and hope they actually engage as phalanx... It was so frustrating I stopped playing Sparta after 2 battles. I certainly hope they will fix this.
    Last edited by Airlick; 2013-09-03 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account

woah, let's.. not get carried away now, shall we? :P

i mean, most of us are playing, right?^^

yeah i went a bit far there, nothing could ever be as bad as sim city 5 launch.

i like the new features, it would be nice to be able to train units at cities though :> and then chose where to send them. other than that, nothing im hating at the moment. ive not experienced many bugs or any crashes at all, 7hours played :P

also, if you take a screenshot does it save anywhere? i got into a habit of pausing battles, especially when the enemy is being pelted with 100s of javelins and i got some cool screenshots. but i got a feeling they didnt save :>

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    AI in TW series always was cheating with upkeep. If you're really having problems with AI swarming you, you are clearly playing on too high difficulty level. Or perhaps you are using too many mercenaries. There's really no other explanation. I'm playing on Hard as Suebi myself, and I'm not really having trouble so far. At first I got rolled over as Parthia, but I've just made too many enemies too quickly. As Suebi I started utilizing no-aggression pacts and it's working out very well - I'm just fighting 1-2 tribes at a time. With 4 settlements I'm able to field 2 full armies and still get some spare money. So yeah, you must be doing something wrong.

Also, how are you 'running out of food'? Do armies actually need food now? I was always running a surplus, so I never had problems with armies lacking food so far.
    no idea what happened with the food thing, like 15 turns in i was at -7 food as subei, nothing i could do, had all the +food buildings i could make

and i had some no aggression pacts with people, and they all broke them, i got attacked by 3different factions in a few turns.

my campaign as the britons was going fine until i attacked someone and my supposed ally backstabbed me and attacked me while i was weak!

i also didn't notice how much upkeep mercenaries cost, some are 420 upkeep, its crazy.
    dragonmaw - EU

no idea what happened with the food thing, like 15 turns in i was at -7 food as subei, nothing i could do, had all the +food buildings i could make

and i had some no aggression pacts with people, and they all broke them, i got attacked by 3different factions in a few turns.

my campaign as the britons was going fine until i attacked someone and my supposed ally backstabbed me and attacked me while i was weak!

i also didn't notice how much upkeep mercenaries cost, some are 420 upkeep, its crazy.
    It really does sound like you're playing on some high difficulty level. AI never behaved like that on Easy-Medium-Hard difficulties, only on Very Hard and Legendary you should expect everyone to backstab you very quickly.

And yeah, mercenaries are extremely overpriced, but then that's the whole point of mercenaries. The only proper way to use them seems to be recruiting them straight before the battle (if you really have to recruit them at all) and disbanding them right after to avoid upkeep cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    It really does sound like you're playing on some high difficulty level. AI never behaved like that on Easy-Medium-Hard difficulties, only on Very Hard and Legendary you should expect everyone to backstab you very quickly.

And yeah, mercenaries are extremely overpriced, but then that's the whole point of mercenaries. The only proper way to use them seems to be recruiting them straight before the battle (if you really have to recruit them at all) and disbanding them right after to avoid upkeep cost.
    yeah on my first one i didn't notice the cost of them, bought like 5 for one army and wondered where all my money went.

- - - Updated - - -

am i the only one that prefers small battles to big ones?

im rubbish at controlling 20 different units, i tried to do the siege of carthago battle, but i just can't keep track of that many units and give them orders :\
    i know its total war, but i'd like a setting to limit the units in an army! i find battles of 10units v 10units much more fun than 20 v 20
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    Well I don't like this Line of sight thing, I pretty much just rage quit because of it. (I'll be back)

Don't know if it was me being an idiot, but I was defending one of my towns, there was one section on a hill that was easily defendable, and also conveniently happened to be the capture point, I placed all of my guys up there ready for the long haul, I was vastly outnumbered but the enemy could only come from one entrance on the Hill, so they were effectively bottlenecked.

I managed to turn the tide of battle, and both enemy armies retreated, my men were JUST outside of the ring of the capture point, chasing down some of the attackers, there's literally about 10 men left of the enemy force, almost dead to a man, the game stops and I assume I've won.

Only I haven't won, I've lost, 10 enemy peltasts that were invisible to me since they moved through some TINY area of trees had managed to sneak into the capture zone and completely capture the entire town while my men were fighting at the bottom of the hill. By the time I noticed them (they just appeared on the hill literally) it was too late. Even though I had 800 remaining men, and they only had 10, the town was captured and all 800 men of mine were killed as a result of losing the town.

ABSOLUTE bullshit, maybe I did something wrong, but the fact is 10 men effectively killed off my entire army

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    The AI has never had any upkeep cost in any Total War game afaik.
    And just keep building/upgrading your +food buildings.
    It also massively cheats on army morale during battle as well on the higher difficulties, at least that was the case in Rome 1. The enemy AI always fights to the last man and never panics. Meanwhile your own army starts to waver as soon you fight them, even when you outnumber and have a five-star general and veteran units. It was total bullshit.

Hope this doesn't happen in Rome 2. I want an AI opponent to defeat me by outmaneuvering and outplaying me, not obviously cheating and make the whole battle a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, been tinkering with the settings and I think I've gotten something better. Have not managed a battle yet but I'm able to get 30's in the benchmark test with ultra textures, and I'm running an old 6850. The campaign map looks better and runs smoother. Will post my settings later if the battles are smoother too.

Started a new Carthage campaign and I'm thinking more and more that there is something seriously wrong with the AI's priority weighting. This time I picked the Barcids, who have a diplomatic penalty, and guess what. First turn, Lybia, Epirus, and the Etruscans all signed off on Trade Agreements. I couldn't even get Lybia, my client state, to give me a trade agreement last time.

The only difference this time was I hadn't spent any money on units or buildings yet so I still had 4000 in the bank. Now I didn't need to pay them anything. But thats the only difference I can come up with besides choosing a Carthaginian family that actually has a diplomatic penalty this time. Instead of the one with the bonus.

That does make me ponder. Is it possible they just oopsed the numbers? You know, where hard is easy and easy is actually hard.

I hope they get their shit figured out because it does seem like a great game is in there. Its just covered in bugs, glitches, and odd coding.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

I bought it because a couple friends were hyped for it and asked me to join them. I haven't seriously gotten into a TW game since Medieval, which was years ago. I own Shogun 2 because I got it on sale but never played more than a skirmish or two. Played a bit today, didn't like it. Seems like it took steps back from Shogun 2. They aren't taking this series anywhere. Just milking us. Try Civ 5 or Crusader Kings II, or Europa Universalis IV. Just don't buy this game expecting anything more than a decade old game with an updated engine. Not worth $60 imo, wait for a sale. I regret dropping that wad of cash on it.