Page 47 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I find this interesting.

I think that 2% is a complete crock of shit. I have plenty of issues but I have not bothered to report any yet. I can easily see hundreds of posts from other folks having the exact same problems so see no need to also report what they should blatantly already know.
    2%. Really?
    Swallow your goddamn pride, CA. Why even put a number to it anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    2%. Really?
    Swallow your goddamn pride, CA. Why even put a number to it anyway?
    i do believe the number, but like SirRobin already said, most people obviously won't bother reporting any issues, especially when the forums are already overflowing with similar complaints.

kinda stupid of them to include that sentence in their post anyway.. it actually sounded like a proper apology for the most part, but adding "the vast majority of people are running the game without problems. At the moment we are seeing 2% of people playing reporting a technical issue." completely destroys that again -.-^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh don't mind me, I'm just throwing a childish tantrum. Just kind of upsetting for them to try to defend themselves in an apology.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakobro View Post
    I have 0 food problems...

I think it's at about +20 :\
    i don't know what happened with mine, i was hovering between -5 and +5 for ages, then in a few turns time im on +47 lol

most of mine are the same right now, got like 5 campaigns on the go :P can't decide who to play!
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    grrr.... whats the cheat for fog of war? toggle_fow isnt working
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    Oh god the civil war on legendary

10 full stacks out of nowhere

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    grrr.... whats the cheat for fog of war? toggle_fow isnt working
    don't think there is one, and why does everyone want to remove the FoW?
    dragonmaw - EU

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    autoresolve just seems broken, im sure it doesn't really take into account the types of units you have, just the number and their stats.

theres been some battles where it said i would 100% win with auto resolve, but if i played the battle there would be no chance of winning, seems to just say i can win because my army was bigger, even though most of them were ranged troops and most the enemies army was cavalry, happened the other way round too, where auto resolve has said no chance i can win, even though my army counters theirs and i win easy.

My experience with auto-resolve has actually been the opposite. As Iceni I took one of my main rival cities (Moridunon) with an amazing land battle in which I fought 2100vs1800, lost just 22 men - and killed ~1600. The remaining ~180 men scampered off into the brush, a bunch broken units often with just like 10 dudes in per unit. Wanting to be done with this faction ASAP - I march my full ~2080 man army into them and auto-resolve... and lose ~120 men. Really game? 180 men, most of whom would have routed at the mere sight of my army - inflicted 2:3 casualities against me? Whatever, accepted and moved on with the game.

Of the like 3-4 times I tried auto-resolving something, I always got way more casualities than I expected (all land battles though): I swore off it because of that.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    don't think there is one, and why does everyone want to remove the FoW?
    just to see what the map looks like in full to impatient to play it through especially since im way up in England
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    My experience with auto-resolve has actually been the opposite. As Iceni I took one of my main rival cities (Moridunon) with an amazing land battle in which I fought 2100vs1800, lost just 22 men - and killed ~1600. The remaining ~180 men scampered off into the brush, a bunch broken units often with just like 10 dudes in per unit. Wanting to be done with this faction ASAP - I march my full ~2080 man army into them and auto-resolve... and lose ~120 men. Really game? 180 men, most of whom would have routed at the mere sight of my army - inflicted 2:3 casualities against me? Whatever, accepted and moved on with the game.

Of the like 3-4 times I tried auto-resolving something, I always got way more casualities than I expected (all land battles though): I swore off it because of that.
    i win a lot of battles through auto resolve that i would never win if i played it :P

i really suck at controlling large armies, if i have to control more than 12 units i just fail usually :P

just a minute ago as Parthia one of my towns ws attacked, my garrison kind of sucked, a few spear units, a lot of mobs and 2 horse archers, enemy had a lot of horse archers, auto resolve said i would lose, but i didn't want to go down without a fight. i went in expecting to lose.
    anyway, i set my spearmen at strategic points in the town so the enemy couldn't just stand back and shoot me with all his horse archers, a few sucessful ambushes with my spearmen and i won

fuck you autoresolve.
    dragonmaw - EU

Oh don't mind me, I'm just throwing a childish tantrum. Just kind of upsetting for them to try to defend themselves in an apology.
    Seems to be a common responce to criticism - give an apology that doesn't actually apologise for anything, and just implies people are whining about nothing.

I really hope they stick to their word and keep patching the game.

Oh, and as an side to my comment about walls - I think some units should be able to scale them without seige equipment but not all. Skrimishers, mostly - sneaking over walls to launch suprise assaults from behind.

And I think unit defense/health needs to double across the board, and morale needs to be raised slightly. Battles just don't last long enough!

10+ Year Old Account
    are co-op campaigns fixed yet? or are they still very laggy/buggy?
    dragonmaw - EU

15+ Year Old Account
    Is there some reason I'm unaware of that every faction in the game - except Iceni - seem to have Archers? I'm pretty sure one of the earliest bows ever found was from the british isles, and was pre-stone age no? It seems safe to say they probably had bow technology in the ~300AD-0BCE era.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Is there some reason I'm unaware of that every faction in the game - except Iceni - seem to have Archers? I'm pretty sure one of the earliest bows ever found was from the british isles, and was pre-stone age no? It seems safe to say they probably had bow technology in the ~300AD-0BCE era.
    Hunting bows aren't the same as warbows

They probably used archers but they weren't known for them

10+ Year Old Account
    i heard Rome didn't have archers here either? only mercenary ones?
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    agreed :P

most of mine are the same right now, got like 5 campaigns on the go :P can't decide who to play!
    i felt like trying something new this time, but i gotta say i really dislike almost all factions since apparently only a handful are able to field late game elite units (or completely lack any cavalry/missiles worth mentioning).

only rome and macedonia seem good in that respect to me, and even there rome has a distinct lack of missile units. which wouldn't even be too much of a problem for land battles, but having a missile ship with fire arrows over a missile ship with javelins sure makes a lot of difference.
    egypt, carthage and parthia seem to have very strong late game units, but have a distinct lack of unit variety - a full army of only elephants or missile cavalry may be strong in most battles, but doesn't really seem interesting to play, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasen Ibaraki View Post
    Oh god the civil war on legendary

10 full stacks out of nowhere
    i was about to start a new campaign on legendary, after having tried hard and very hard and having found both of them too easy, with battle difficulty in game options already switched to legendary... in all previous total war games i was fine with just hard in both battles and campaign. seems like they reeeaaally messed up the balancing, badly.

sadly, choosing legendary difficulty for the campaign locks you into "battle realism mode", which i absolutely hate -.-'
    why can't they let me chose that?

actually, it's been like that in all total war games, and it's for the most part intentional. you are supposed to fight the battles that really matter yourself.

i've also fought and won quite a few battles already where autoresolving showed "none" as victory chance. the most fun was a troy-movie style landing battle, in which four of my macedonian elite units stormed the beach and took a city (after having harassed the enemy with some artillery) without losing a single man :D

so, autoresolving leading to much worse results than playing battles yourself is intentional, and has always been that way. but it gets problematic when autoresolving leads to wins in battles where you wouldn't have had a chance by playing them yourself. that pretty much feels like 'cheating' (to many) rather than something you've owned through good play.

archers aren't really the to-go missile troops in this game and era anyway. except for a few south-eastern factions, who focused mainly on missile cavalry, the commonly used ranged weapons were javelins, thrown by skirmishers who would screen and harass battle lines before melee engagements, rather than firing at long range from behind melee infantry.
    the bows and arrows of that time were a lot weaker than those of the medieval era, not to mention killing enemies from afar, rather than face-to-face, was seen as dishonourable. and that goes especially for the nordic 'barbarians'. even the throwing spears (and particularly the roman pila) were often meant to hinder enemy shield use and movement in the following melee, rather than to outright kill.

it wasn't until around 9th century a.d. or so (i think) that bows started to replace throwing weapons and slings on a wide scale.

i heard Rome didn't have archers here either? only mercenary ones?
    i think they are labelled as "auxilia" rather than "mercenary", but yes. might be that they can be recruited normally though, but only in specific regions, like the small ships of mediterranean style that barbaric factions are supposedly able to recruit if they capture a southern port settlement.
    Last edited by Sy; 2013-09-06 at 11:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    i was about to start a new campaign on legendary, after having tried hard and very hard and having found both of them too easy, with battle difficulty in game options already switched to legendary... in all previous total war games i was fine with just hard in both battles and campaign. seems like they reeeaaally messed up the balancing, badly.

sadly, choosing legendary difficulty for the campaign locks you into "battle realism mode", which i absolutely hate -.-'
    why can't they let me chose that?
    Legendary is absolutely stupid

I was breezing through everything but the civil war suddenly throws 15+ full stacks at you in your capital, I don't know if this is even possible

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasen Ibaraki View Post
    Legendary is absolutely stupid

I was breezing through everything but the civil war suddenly throws 15+ full stacks at you in your capital, I don't know if this is even possible
    depending on what units they are made of, you might be able to beat them with two or three elite armies, particularly when defending a walled settlement.
    if they are actually made of high end units, then... yeah. bye-bye^^

remember though, civil war is meant to be something that can lead to your empire's downfall (aka lost campaign) if triggered too early and/or without having prepared for it. you are supposed to have to manage the balance of power between the internal factions carefully until (if ever) you feel strong enough to overthrow the others. it's intended to provide the ultimate challenge for late in the campaign, when no other faction is strong enough to really pose a threat to your huge empire anymore.
    Last edited by Sy; 2013-09-06 at 11:51 PM.

Deleted
    Just experienced a rather interesting auto resolve calculation. I had garrisoned units consisting of 2 cavalry archers and 1 spear unit with attrition damage and no reinforcements. The enemy had approximately 7 of the same cavalry archers, 6 spear units, 3 swordsman and a general, most of the army was also rank 2. I won the auto resolve with about 99% of the estimation bar filled and I didn't even have walls. I'm fairly certain there is absolutely no way I would have ever won that battle in a million years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    depending on what units they are made of, you might be able to beat them with two or three elite armies, particularly when defending a walled settlement.
    if they are actually made of high end units, then... yeah. bye-bye^^

remember though, civil war is meant to be something that can lead to your empire's downfall (aka lost campaign) if triggered too early and/or without having prepared for it. you are supposed to have to manage the balance of power between the internal factions carefully until (if ever) you feel strong enough to overthrow the others. it's intended to provide the ultimate challenge for late in the campaign, when no other faction is strong enough to really pose a threat to your huge empire anymore.
    They're made of the same units you get, and remember this is on legendary so they have magically higher stats than you

I wouldn't complain about it if I had some kind of warning and it wasn't totally out of the blue