Page 52 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    heh, i started a campaign as Pontus, and Epirus took Athens, for about 5turns, then Sparta took back Athens and an army left over from Athens took Epirus. and then a few turns later Epirus was out of them game

i got excited that Epirus was doing well :P
    dragonmaw - EU

Ok after a weekend of rome 2, I guess its time to put it on my shelf and wait for patches/mods. There is no challenge in the game, the campaign map AI is even more stupid than the battle map AI. Most challenge comes from the UI perfectly hiding important information.

The game has potential but as it is, with the dumb AI, the victory flags, the magic boats, bugs, missing optimization and many more things I just cant stand it anymore.
    Last edited by Faldric; 2013-09-08 at 10:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Started new campaign as Eprius on hard more, its horrible! they all hate me! everytime i click next turn someone new declares war on me, not got a single trading partner yet :\

but i did valiantly defeat Sparta through some minor skirmishes, then a bigger battle.

fuck you Sparta!

http://i.imgur.com/3dtzA77l.jpg

also annoying, the scoreboard doesn't show reinforcing armies

also, found this funny

this is my Admiral, not sure i should trust him to lead my fleet.

dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    That's a good point. I had a sudden urge to create a satrapy in the last region of a province once, and I regretted it immediately after, when I found out you can't issue edicts unless your own faction controls the whole province.
    aye, was the same for me.
    BUT, at the very least, I don't think client states rebel at all in Rome 2, as opposed to every single other TW title, where they would rebel the moment you reached a high power rating.
    the adviser said they can, but dunno if the ai ever actually does.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Ok after a weekend of rome 2, I guess its time to put it on my shelf and wait for patches/mods. There is no challenge in the game, the campaign map AI is even more stupid than the battle map AI. Most challenge comes from the UI perfectly hiding important information.

The game has potential but as it is, with the dumb AI, the victory flags, the magic boats, bugs, missing optimization and many more things I just cant stand it anymore.
    understandable :/

i'm still having a lot of fun, as i think most people here do, but i agree that this game could (and to a degree hopefully will) be so much better. tons of stuff that is either horribly designed, not properly thought-out or just plain not working..

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    also annoying, the scoreboard doesn't show reinforcing armies
    sure it does. the one after battle (where you can decide what to do with captives) that is. just click on the portraits of the reinforcing armies.

i still dislike it in comparison to previous titles, because 1) a lot of information is just plain missing, like experience gain, friendly fire and, most importantly, losses for each unit, and 2) if i want to see how many kills each unit has got (which i think is both useful for planning army composition, and is just fun after a heroic victory^^) i have to mouse over every single one, and even then it does not differentiate between killed and captured, which actually is a huge difference in battle.
    also, found this funny

this is my Admiral, not sure i should trust him to lead my fleet.

[URL=http://imgur.com/Z8MSEKP][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Z8MSEKPl.jpg[IMG][URL]
    why? pans are awesome! why don't you like pans?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    aye, was the same for me.

i still dislike it in comparison to previous titles, because 1) a lot of information is just plain missing, like experience gain, friendly fire and, most importantly, losses for each unit, and 2) if i want to see how many kills each unit has got (which i think is both useful for planning army composition, and is just fun after a heroic victory^^) i have to mouse over every single one, and even then it does not differentiate between killed and captured, which actually is a huge difference in battle.
    the little scoreboard on the loading screen gives you some info, but yeah its not as detailed as previous total wars :|

no idea why they removed those scoreboards

- - - Updated - - -

also, i wish they would let us attack cities that are being blockaded!
    dragonmaw - EU

This sand... is so smooth on my skin... I believe the AI wanted to starve me to death, or they just wanted to get some tan.

Deleted
    So now my main save file where I own 9 provinces is broken. ''Rome 2 has stopped working'' during the AI turn phase. Guess Ill just have to save to cloud and wait for a patch :/.

Man ... this game ... i swear worst spent money of my life : is not working from day 1 i had issues with my crossfire had to run the game in windowed mode. then the patch came in ... and this is what i get :

I also updated the AMD Drivers to 14.10 o 13.10 i don't remember exactly

Anyone having the same issues?
    Last edited by rakall; 2013-09-09 at 02:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    uhm, has anyone watched a replay of one of their battles? because they are not replays at all.
    its more like it shows you what would happen if the AI controlled your army.

i had a really good battle as Eprius vs Sparta, which i had a really close victory, really fun battle, watch the replay, and i lost? Sparta won with a decisive victory according to the replay, aside from unit deployements nothing i did was in the replay.

and my other replay, attacking Roma as Epirus says i lose aswell, in which i won with only 20 or so casualties because my army was better, but on the replay, me seiege towers didn't move, all i apparently did was move my archers to outside the gate and fire at romes leves on the wall and then just stood outside the city until the time ran out.

wtf is up with that? why are replays, not actually replays?
    Last edited by serenka; 2013-09-09 at 02:30 PM.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rakall View Post
    Man ... this game ... i swear worst spent money of my life : is not working from day 1 i had issues with my crossfire had to run the game in windowed mode. then the patch came in ... and this is what i get :

I also updated the AMD Drivers to 14.10 o 13.10 i don't remember exactly

Anyone having the same issues?
    Yikes, that's bad. Nope, but I don't have crossfire.

uhm, has anyone watched a replay of one of their battles? because they are not replays at all.
    its more like it shows you what would happen if the AI controlled your army.

i had a really good battle as Eprius vs Sparta, which i had a really close victory, really fun battle, watch the replay, and i lost? Sparta won with a decisive victory according to the replay, aside from unit deployements nothing i did was in the replay.
    Oh lord, had a couple I thought about saving replays for. Glad I haven't, that would seriously piss me off. Great googly moogly CA, how could you guys sign off on launching when Rome 2 is like this?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Yikes, that's bad. Nope, but I don't have crossfire.

Oh lord, had a couple I thought about saving replays for. Glad I haven't, that would seriously piss me off. Great googly moogly CA, how could you guys sign off on launching when Rome 2 is like this?
    i decided to check because i heard some stories about the replay function being weird, and it is. one cool thing is though, if you save a replay, you can fight that battle again, which is kind of neat. but its very weird that it doesn't actually show your replay.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    i decided to check because i heard some stories about the replay function being weird, and it is. one cool thing is though, if you save a replay, you can fight that battle again, which is kind of neat. but its very weird that it doesn't actually show your replay.
    I love replays for zooming into great battles but they've never been very stable for me. Like in Shogun 2, it would often crash on me during replays.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love replays for zooming into great battles but they've never been very stable for me. Like in Shogun 2, it would often crash on me during replays.
    this isn't about replays not being stable, its not even your replay you're watching. its starts off with your deployment, then its like the AI takes over. so battles i've won, the replay says i lost, like on Eprius vs Sparta replay it chargede my elephants into the spartan hoplites, which i never did, it kept putting my missile infantry into melee mode and having them charge the spartan hoplites, i would never do that!

and then on my siege of roma replay, when i did it i took my 4 ladder towers to the walls with my spear infantry and took the walls, in the replay my towers never moved and my army just stood outside the city until timer ran out, the exact same thing the AI does in siege battles.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Ouch, I seriously wonder what the hell happened at CA leading up to launch. A replay being a "replay" seems like pretty basic shit to me but they even screw that up? I recall Empire being bad and figured CA had learned their lesson. Guess I was wrong. And metacritic is down to 81 and 4.1. I wouldn't be surprised if Sega pulls an EA and a bunch of folks at CA get pink slipped over this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ouch, I seriously wonder what the hell happened at CA leading up to launch. A replay being a "replay" seems like pretty basic shit to me but they even screw that up? I recall Empire being bad and figured CA had learned their lesson. Guess I was wrong. And metacritic is down to 81 and 4.1. I wouldn't be surprised if Sega pulls an EA and a bunch of folks at CA get pink slipped over this.
    apparently the replay feature was this broke back in medieval 2 aswell :\

and for the rest, this is my first total war game ive played at launch, apparently they're all this bad. no idea why they don't do a beta. on their forums one of their devs was saying these problems are impossible to find until the game is released becasue of all the different hardware, so do a beta!!!

the prologue should have been released as a beta so the game could be tested on more hardware and the problems found quicker.

imo the game is very good, but it has some pretty big glaring bugs that could have and should have been found before the game launched

- - - Updated - - -

at least the launch isn't as bad as sim city 5.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    ikr? i don't think i've ever bought a game that i think would deserve anything below 5.
    (For me) giving it a 4-3 is generous at this stage since it is completely unplayable (broken product) and I think it is fair for someone to rate a game 0 if it isn't working for their system when it is above minimal/recommended specs.

- - - Updated - - -

and for the rest, this is my first total war game ive played at launch, apparently they're all this bad. no idea why they don't do a beta. on their forums one of their devs was saying these problems are impossible to find until the game is released becasue of all the different hardware, so do a beta!!!
    I actually found Shogun 2 launch pretty good apart from one minor problem which was fixed rather quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

10+ Year Old Account
    this is my first total war game ive played at launch, apparently they're all this bad.
    no, they're really not, at least from my own experience. they all had their problems, but out of rome 1 & 2, medieval 2 and shogun 2, which are the ones i played at launch, this one is by far the most troubled.
    i've rarely experienced any 'game breaking' bugs, at least in singleplayer campaigns, in any of those other three. the only two that come to mind are the completely broken pathfinding of units on top of walls, both in rome 1 and medieval 2, and a bug in which the ai sometimes just went afk when attacking a castle in shogun 2. they certainly had more issues, some that were fixed later on, some that weren't, but nothing really major in my experience.

i can't speak from experience about the launch of empire, as i only played it later, but i know that is was very troubled too, more so than the ones i played right away.

yet i've had several game breaking issues (bugs and obvious design and balancing flaws) in rome 2 already, after 20h of game time. that is a less than a tenth of what i've spend in each of the others, on average!
    even the naval battles in shogun 2 weren't as troubled as the ones in rome 2, and they were probably the biggest weakness of that game. in rome 2 i literally can not win a battle against a celtic transport fleet with my greek elite warships if i try to play the battle myself, rather than autoresolving.

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    (For me) giving it a 4-3 is generous at this stage since it is completely unplayable (broken product) and I think it is fair for someone to rate a game 0 if it isn't working for their system when it is above minimal/recommended specs.
    the 0 ratings i've read aren't "can't run. period." though, but complaining about problems within the game. the fact that they even bothered to spend all these hours in the game already means that this game must have positive things.

i've played for 20h now, and most of these i was having fun. i would probably give it a 7 or 6 in it's current state. it has countless and huge problems, but at it's core there is still a game that would score a 9 or 10 for me, if most of these specific problems wouldn't exist.
    Last edited by Sy; 2013-09-09 at 06:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well as far as the zeros on Metacritic? I'm seeing tens too that are just as bad. Just in the other direction. Which is why I like those user scores, for their rawness. The worst launch prior to Rome 2 was Empire, and even it wasn't borked this badly. Angry Joe says his review is up to an hour of yelling now, so he is trying to cut it down to thirty minutes.

I don't think he'll burn Rome 2 anywhere near as badly as Quarter to Three, but I'll be surprised if it gets more than a seven. And he is a big fan of the franchise.

CA screwed up, and the excuses I've heard just don't hold up very well. I'm disappointed to a degree that even my pessimistic ass didn't expect. They knew better, how did those naval battles ever pass muster, and let it happen anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well as far as the zeros on Metacritic? I'm seeing tens too that are just as bad. Just in the other direction.
    well, yeah, obviously.
    CA screwed up, and the excuses I've heard just don't hold up very well. I'm disappointed to a degree that even my pessimistic ass didn't expect. They knew better, how did those naval battles ever pass muster, and let it happen anyway.
    /sign =/

10+ Year Old Account
    47 hours into the game and this is my story:
    Tested out the game as Rome, Iceni and Pontus for the first 20 hours I think, then I started an Averni campaign. Got to the point where I controlled all of Spain, lower France and Western Africa. Then it went all retarded and I couldn't balance food and squaller... I then invaded some more sand people, captured there city, went into the red with food, whole civilization is fucked quite literally, every town starts to rebel, my awsome army of Oathsworn starts falling apart because I have no food and then Rome declares war on me for no reason, they don't even have any land near me at all, I don't see the point of why the AI made a stupid decision.

My opinion of the game so far: Im sick of having to have a general lead an army. Why can't I just garrison my forces in a city to keep douche bags complaing about squaller? Like seriously thats the worst mechanic iv ever seen in any game. It literally sucks the wang and makes no sense, because back then everyone was a filthy troglodite, why do they care so much? Theres more shit to worry about, like whether or not the Germans or Romans are invading.

Battles also suck and are stupid, the enemy just zergs your flag and you can't do anything about it. What I mean is that in previous total war games you could set up a defence with shitty dead units and still win because you have a perfect defence... BUT NOOOOOO the enemy runs through my ranks even when my spears are in sheildwall and kill my ranged units then zerg flag lol.

Only cool thing about the game: Its pretty and Oathsworn carve the shit out of anyone.

3/10 - game sucks ass, going back to Napoleon 40x unit Darthmod campaigns.