Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Two disc priests in a 10 men

Couple of questions:

1) Should there be a disc priest per group, with maybe one tank per group also?
    2) Does SS/DA stack? I know PW: S doesn't (we can't!), but got no idea about SS/DA. If it doesn't, does it mean one of the 2 priests should go holy?

yes all absorbs stack, and get consumed smallest first. no, neither should go holy. it doesn't matter which group they're in, POH targeting works based on the party that the *target* is in. the only thing about groups that helps for disc is to make sure melee/tanks are in the same group.

they'll mostly be using atonement, anyways. have them work out something for rapture so that they don't run out of mana (shouldn't be an issue as atonement is pretty much mana neutral nowadays, but still).
    Last edited by snaxattax; 2013-05-10 at 12:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    One should go holy. You won't get full potential out of two disc priests, and a holy and disc priest would complement each other better than two disc priests. Total overkill on absorbs with two. Ignore the above poster.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DiGG View Post
    Couple of questions:

1) Should there be a disc priest per group, with maybe one tank per group also?
    2) Does SS/DA stack? I know PW: S doesn't (we can't!), but got no idea about SS/DA. If it doesn't, does it mean one of the 2 priests should go holy?
    1.) What group they are in doesn't matter, let them set up the groups to ensure that they get the maximum potential out of PoH.
    2.) Yes. PW:S and PoM (but this remains if one goes holy) are the only issues.

Regarding the viability disc are monsters in 10 man right now, simply the added damage from having two discs in the raid over two different healers will make a huge difference (almost like having another dps). The only real weakness disc has is the lack of pure throughput for longer periods/if they can't prep the raid with shells and there's very few fights in tot where this is a huge issue, and in those you can/should simply 3 heal anyways and then the extra damage from disc will help you either way (that's really the only issue, you will pretty much need to 3 heal some fights with that setup). Excluding that double disc is probably one of the better healing setups for 10 man right now, only really beaten by a combo consisting of two of the following specs: hpala, disc & mistweaver.

2 discs can prevent a lot of damage, but in theory, they won't be able to bring everyone's health back up quick enough; in theory. i think 2 discs are fine if your 3rd healer is a druid or shammy.

if you're only gonna run with 2 discs and no 3rd healer, it would be a fun experiment. i'd like to know how that turns out.

Deleted
    Weakened soul will drive them nuts. They'd have to be insane to play double disc in a 10man, if they're not then weakened soul will make them insane.

Deleted
    Worth mentioning that I've ran dual disc on several bosses in ToT (a few hc) and it works perfectly fine (albeit slightly annoying due to weakened soul):P. Probably even the best healing setup in the game on both ji-kun and horridon hc.

While I agree you don't get the full potential out of two disc priests, this is rather minor and only relates to PW:S. Disc is generally so much better than holy for 10 man. Holy is too specialized in AoE. With a 10 man, you need both healers to be flexible with tank and AoE healing. Holy's 30 sec chakra CD makes that really difficult since you're locked into only single target or only AoE for 30 sec intervals. IMO 2 Disc > Disc Holy for most 10 man fights despite the slightly gimped PW:S.

10+ Year Old Account
    We ran double disc over Disc+RDruid/Holydin on every (2 healer) boss except Lei Shen heroic at some point for a reason (most of them during progress). Disc is very very strong atm, and gives you a lot of CDs and extra dps. Its a lie saying that disc is behind on topping people off seeing as you prevent most of the damage.

Ofcourse it depends on the raid comp and the players. If you lack raid CDs it might be tricky at some point compered to having, say Shammy or Druid, and also if the players arent that great, it might be punsihing to have double Disc due to the lack of PW:Shield availibility, but Turret Priest is probably ahead on throughput on most fights on the hps/mana spendt compered to mana regen part in my experience, but if you can make good use of Spirit Shell, Cascade and Twist of Fate/Archangel, Disc is as good as any at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitmajere View Post
    Double disc was actually extremely common for many of the harder checks in early 10 man progression (Paragon did it for several fights for example). Nothing brings both effective dps and hps like a disc priest, so why not have two?! (Literally have a disc priest is like playing with 10.5 people).
    This guy pretty much sums it up.
    Last edited by Celar; 2013-05-10 at 02:10 AM. Reason: ''Very strong!'' Not ''very overpowered.'' That was last tier.
    3 manning all Challenge Modes on GOLD! - Youtube.com/MyCelar

Double disc was actually extremely common for many of the harder checks in early 10 man progression (Paragon did it for several fights for example). Nothing brings both effective dps and hps like a disc priest, so why not have two?! (Literally have a disc priest is like playing with 10.5 people).

Deleted
    Why be satisfied with 2? I know of a guild with a roster of 3 disc priests as healers, with one going shadow for 2 heal fights. Seems awesome... /sarcasm off

Like above poster said, some of the very first heroic 10 man kills had 2 disc priests in their setup. I wouldn't enjoy fighting for weakened soul though, but it works.

Well this is a combat log I did tonight (started it late, missing like 6 other attempts...):

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/s...m/healingDone/

I want to admit right of the bat, healing is my offspec, and it was my first night ever (since DS) healing in a raid! I'm ilvl 522 with half the gear optimized for my shadow spec. We didn't kill Megaera, but it's matter of 2-3 more attempts, i would hope. Care to comment on my performance (I'm Fuzznbuzz), and/but... the other disc priest... has better gear than I, its his main spec, and look... it's sad a bit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DiGG View Post
    Well this is a combat log I did tonight (started it late, missing like 6 other attempts...):

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/s...m/healingDone/

I want to admit right of the bat, healing is my offspec, and it was my first night ever (since DS) healing in a raid! I'm ilvl 522 with half the gear optimized for my shadow spec. We didn't kill Megaera, but it's matter of 2-3 more attempts, i would hope. Care to comment on my performance (I'm Fuzznbuzz), and/but... the other disc priest... has better gear than I, its his main spec, and look... it's sad a bit.
    Looking at your spell composition and the other 2, I'm not sure can play his mainspecc better than you play your offspecc:

- his spirit shell is lower than you, on a fight like megaera, where rampages are great for spirit shell. His prayer of healing numbers are also a bit higher than yours, which indicate he casts it outside shell more than you. Maybe being 10 man normal and 2 of you, 2 shells is overkill.
    - his atonement numbers are higher than you (ironic, considering you are supposed to be the "dps playing a healer".
    - his PWS numbers are lower than you
    - he uses a weird amount of flash heal, which...I cant see the point. I can flash every now and then on emergency but he seems to resort to it pretty often. He also uses penance defensively a fair deal.

Bottom line, you have a higher % from actual healing spells (the ones worth casting) than he does. I'm not saying healing spells are better than atonement, atm, its a pretty fine line, especially in a 10 man normal, 2 disc can go into "overabsorbing", but as long as you are wiping means somebody didnt get the needed healing, and atonement sadly isnt a very "responsible" choice. Looking at your longest try, I notice the tank dying, is any of you keeping an eye on the tank? I'm doing this fight as 25man hc and I am one of the 2 "tank healers" - not that there is a lot of tank healing overall, but there are some points here and there where they need a bit of attention. It seems most of your wipes started with a tank dead.

edit: @Op cant see why 2xdisc in a 10 man wouldn't work. Will be a bit annoying with PWS/rapture but 10 mans use a fair amount of atonement so the mana issues arent that large. I also dont think a holy/disc combo would be especially bad either, it just depends on what specc your priests are better at playing. My team holy priest is pretty good ( she gets ranked a fair bit) but her few tries at disc made me tell her very determined to stay holy, she was dreadful at disc.
    Last edited by mmoc318f6f4933; 2013-05-10 at 06:37 AM.

double disc is fine one should reforge to mastery and other one crit (mastery for more of burst healing than crit when there is spikey damage)

but yea double disc is perfectly fine

geting rapture on cd is harder but extra regen from that wont make you go oom super fast
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    One should go holy. You won't get full potential out of two disc priests, and a holy and disc priest would complement each other better than two disc priests. Total overkill on absorbs with two. Ignore the above poster.
    Ignore this guy, we run 2 disc / holy pala. You get 2 barriers, 2 pain suppressions, spirit shelling that stacks and the best part is that 2 disc priests = 1 dps. Most top 10 mans are doing it aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Osheri View Post
    Ignore this guy, we run 2 disc / holy pala. You get 2 barriers, 2 pain suppressions, spirit shelling that stacks and the best part is that 2 disc priests = 1 dps. Most top 10 mans are doing it aswell.
    yeah 10 man is a bad place for holy. it isn't hard to manage weakened soul with 2 discs (you don't even need rapture to keep up atonement, which is the bulk of what these guys will be doing) and isn't as 'vital' to get every rapture cooldown as it was pre 5.2 due to the spirit proc/rapture nerf.

you are basically always doing your raid a disservice in 10 man playing holy due to the extra dps a disc brings. the only exceptions are in goofy situations where you don't have other high hps cooldown healers in your raid comp (no monks or resto shaman), but if that's the case you probably aren't clearing through the content that requires high hps cooldown healers anyway.

you don't know what you are talking about. atonement is the absolute hands down best/OP healing spell/tactic in 10 mans. having two sources of atonement is twice the OP. it doesn't matter if you can pump out an extra 8-10% hps when you can't do any proactive healing as holy (which even then is extremely rare, holy can out hps disc on like two fights this tier if you don't have holy paladins), have worse cooldowns (especially tank cooldowns) as holy, and do basically zero dps as holy.
    Last edited by snaxattax; 2013-05-10 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osheri View Post
    We've been running with this same healing comp since not long after 5.2 with no issues. WS/rapture isn't a problem if each priest takes a tank and you know when raid damage goes out. The only real downside to 2 disc/hpally is there's no huge throughput cooldown like tranq/htt/etc., but if you play smart you'll rarely be in a situation where you'd need a cooldown like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Double Holy paladin Double Disc seems pretty OP in 25-man ATM. On our first farm week on heroic bosses we've been running 2x Disc, 2x Hoy paladin, Rest Druid + 1 and it seems like the raid never takes the massive dips that its supposed to take.

Total overkill on absorbs with two. Ignore the above poster.
    Its more than that. Multiple Disc priests cannot coexist due to Weakened Soul debuff being global for all Priests.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a shame that things like 10m and (while not in this case) pvp lead to the nerfing of specs that require proper playmanship and execution in 25m. Nerfs which will cripple one of the most dynamic and interesting (and fun!) healing specs in 5.3