Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Help with balance dps

Hello! I'm trying to help out one of our boomkins in tracking down what makes his dps pretty low overall. After almost 2 months he's struggling to put out the numbers he did when he was running his dk. I'm not too familiar with the spec so I was hoping someone could help with pointing out where he's doing wrong.

Here's his armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...power/advanced

And some logs from this week:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-dyp52umfb9up7xc2/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ni93qdergf6pqu54/

What sort of uptimes and damage breakdown should I be looking for in WoL?

Thanks!

i have too many alts

his active time of Horriodon is 52% is he afk or something?
    should use jade spirit weapon enchant instead of windsong.
    his moonfire and sunfire needs more uptime, hmm for Jinrok he should not be popping cooldowns on pull until the first puddle (he should also spec Nature's vigil for this)
    moonfire and sunfire has an uptime of 92%ish should be pretty close to 100. (this is like 50% for your horridon kill which should be almost 100 this one of bumkin's best fights)

he just needs to keep his dots up much more.

He's gemmed heavy into crit. Should be gemmed into haste to get it to 5273. Also, personally, I don't split red slot gems. Straight INT makes spell power higher. Also, getting his sha touch gem will be a nice boost. As far as the fights go, the talents change with the fight. I get most of my strats from Icy Veins, as far as what talents for the fight and how to gem and reforge. The druid tab will also tell him how to start his opening rotation. Not too good at reading the logs, but on multi add fights, double dotting adds with Sunfire and Moonfire will give him an insane amount of Starsurge procs.

TL;DR
    Have him read the raid and Druid sections on Icy Veins. Have yet to steer me wrong. Also, Sunfyre's Nest. Hope it helps

Hello, the gemming, talents and glyphs are fine BUT he is below the hit cap by a margin which will hinder his DPS so he should reforge to 15% (or 5001 hit rating).

Taking a quick look at the logs (primarily the single target ones such as durumu), I see that his Nature's grace uptime (15% haste bfuf for 15s after you enter an eclipse) is quite lw on some fights (~40% or lower) which is the most likely cause of his low DPS so focusing on minimising movement and cycling through eclipses will help him significantly.

His DoT uptime and starfall usage is usually good (95%+ is optimal, ~100% is best) but he sometimes 'forgets' to use his cooldowns or holds off doing so. For example, Durumu was an 8m40s fight but he only used his 3 min CDs (Incarnation / Celestial Alignment) twice instead of 3 times.

In terms of multi-dotting, it is best to do so with nature's grace (or a haste buff such as the dps caster meta gem proc) and eclipse then head to the next eclipse to gain the nature's grace buff again than sitting in an eclipse with no haste buff.

Just my two cents.

just looking at jin'rohk
    Improper cooldown usage is probably the biggest thing, his gear is also gemmed enchanted reforged improperly. He has the wrong opening rotation, he uses mirror images while cooldowns are ticking and uses it again, he didnt use barkskin on every lightning storm. he didnt use cooldowns on the puddle.

on other fights he isnt multi dotting, i have the same number of moonfires as him on council in over 4 less minutes. hes afk on horridon

you cant help him since you dont know the class have him read up on how to properly play a moonkin, how to properly gem/reforge stuff, fight strats for moonkins etc.

tell him mirror images are a dps decrease heres what they hit for
    [19:18:07.321] Solarpower Wrath Jin'rokh the Breaker *130*
    [19:18:07.423] Solarpower Wrath Jin'rokh the Breaker 65
    [19:18:07.474] Solarpower Wrath Jin'rokh the Breaker 63

Deleted
    Man, the dps you can get away with on normal 25 man . On horridon it seems he died btw. Overall there is not much more to add what somebody else has not said yet, but this boomkin is not your only problem. You have a 25man group, where 10ppl boost the other 15.

I Recently did a lot of research into boomy, and had some help as it is the new main spec of my Druid after having been gaurdian since its creation and having never played boomy i needed somewhere to start.

The best thing that increased my dps was not worrying about dot clipping and making sure i had 2+ stacks of lunar shower (obtained when casting moonfire/sunfire) when applying the Dots to the targets.

Also When Applying a dot while just hitting eclipse it is better to let it run out before reapplying it as Druid dots are snapshotted.

Snapshotted:

Snapshotted dots are dots that Have the casters stats frozen on the dot even if the players stats drop the dots stats will stay the same as when it was first applied.

This is why your boomkin needs to keep his dots up on the target, and also needs to make sure he doesnt use a NON ECLIPSE dot over the eclipsed one as the eclipsed one will get his +15% haste proc off of natures grace were as a non eclipsed one wont.

if he needs any proper pointers he can pm me here or you can pm me his real id and i can try help him out as best as possible.

Knowing this above info i was able to increase my dps by about 20-30k sustained.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

A small amount of hit below cap is better than reforging a large amount of other stats into dead hit over the cap. Hit is not some godly stat of infinite value unless missing a single spell in 2500 would be devastating to his rotation.

Reforging to hit cap would rob him of simply much more value from another stat, despite hit's disproportionate value.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbwarriordx View Post
    A small amount of hit below cap is better than reforging a large amount of other stats into dead hit over the cap. Hit is not some godly stat of infinite value unless missing a single spell in 2500 would be devastating to his rotation.

Reforging to hit cap would rob him of simply much more value from another stat, despite hit's disproportionate value.
    I would say boomkins could get severely damaged by missing a spell. At certain point it will be really annoying and a bigger loss then a slight overcap on hit. Ive never thought of undercapping my boomkin to save a supersmall amount of stats. Its not worth it.

It will be really annoying in 1 out of 2500 spells? The druid from the OP's actual chance to miss?
    The point is that the super small amount of stats is worth more than the remainder of the hit cap. It just is.

Hit is worth maybe 4 times the next best secondary stat, tops.

the reason why its sometimes better to be under hit cap is to hard to explain, realize that sometimes to be exactly at hit cap you have to give up a much higher rated stat while being slightly under could mean you use less valued stats to get there, in turn giving you higher dps. now you should never be more than say .1 under hit cap but say you are at .25 under hit cap that means you have
    A 20% chance to NEVER miss during the boss fight
    A 32.5% chance to miss ONLY ONCE during the boss fight
    A 1.6% chance to miss FIVE times during the boss fight
    A 0.0005% chance to miss TEN time (yes, the 0′s and decimal are right)
    this will equate to higher average dps even if you have one attempt where you miss 5 times you will make up for it + some the other 50 attempts. and most attempts you wont miss anyway.

reforging and stats are meant to bring the highest possible dps average also realize to get to the hit cap alot of times people are over meaning you are wasting alot of stats when you could reforge to something slightly under and gain alot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ScariusTheMoonkin View Post
    the reason why its sometimes better to be under hit cap is to hard to explain, realize that sometimes to be exactly at hit cap you have to give up a much higher rated stat while being slightly under could mean you use less valued stats to get there, in turn giving you higher dps. now you should never be more than say .1 under hit cap but say you are at .25 under hit cap that means you have
    A 20% chance to NEVER miss during the boss fight
    A 32.5% chance to miss ONLY ONCE during the boss fight
    A 1.6% chance to miss FIVE times during the boss fight
    A 0.0005% chance to miss TEN time (yes, the 0′s and decimal are right)
    this will equate to higher average dps even if you have one attempt where you miss 5 times you will make up for it + some the other 50 attempts. and most attempts you wont miss anyway.

reforging and stats are meant to bring the highest possible dps average also realize to get to the hit cap alot of times people are over meaning you are wasting alot of stats when you could reforge to something slightly under and gain alot.
    That's what i was saying, you don't gain alot with adding 0.1% hit, your theory works the same way with capping. Where you will hardly ever end up with more then 0.1% extra. For some dps classes its not worth the headache. theoretically maybe a super tiny dps increase, but not worth the headache.

there are programs and sites that do it for you. not a headache at all

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ScariusTheMoonkin View Post
    there are programs and sites that do it for you. not a headache at all
    No, i don't mean it is a headache to reforge it slightly under hit, it's a headache being under hitcap. Missing 1 hardcasted SF will make you lose the benefit of being under the hitcap completely.

And being over the hitcap is a guaranteed dps loss due to wasted stats.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirri View Post
    And being over the hitcap is a guaranteed dps loss due to wasted stats.
    To be fair, I think I speak for most people that they'd rather work away any possbility of them missing over having a 0.1% increment in crit or haste, which in practice, is fairly negligible. (0.1% haste is roughly around 0.0025s of your cast timer of SF and 0.002s of your wrath cast timer, with latency, that is essentially nothing)

Here is some napkin math for you: You have 20% base haste from stats and moonkin form. with 0.1% extra haste, you'd only see one extra hardcasted starfire cast out of every 800 starfires.

Now, I cba to go further into it, but in my personal opinion, the gains from that small increase of stats are neglible compared to the reassurance that I will NEVER miss a cast.
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2013-05-13 at 04:13 AM.