Poll: Legacy Realms

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underwolf View Post
    Imo, that bold part in the quote above may actually be a very big obstacle in front of establishing legacy servers. Because, if such legacy servers receive a lot of subs it can be interpreted as Blizzard screwed up in the recent expansions (basically Cata and MoP), especially considering the large scale sub losses since the beginning of Cata. Keep in mind that Blizzard folks have jobs and careers to worry about, and they also need to worry about the relations with shareholders and investors.

The only way I can imagine legacy servers may become possible is if and when Blizzard gets so desperate (if for instance sub losses continue in large numbers and Titan does not become the next WoW in terms of attracting lots of players) that they may decide to disregard the risks of looking like they screwed up for the sake of the revenue they can get from legacy servers (a large pool of tens of millions of potential players).
    You know what, I really wish I could elaborate on this post but it's just so damn good. I'm really being serious, you made the single best post I've seen in a long time.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    The second you have legacy realms you will have player complaining about bugs, exploits and class imbalances of earlier versions instead.
    And it will be a headache trying to fix them all and then balance the game 5 times in all different versions.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like many have said, I wouldn't fully convert my account. I like experiencing all of the new content, but would love to have a legit and reliable way of experiencing TBC over again. I'm not going to touch all the servers out there offering the content b/c it's 1) Not 'really' the same and 2) Technically illegal.

I would play characters on a live realm and TBC classic mode, but I don't expect it is ever going to happen. Maybe when WoW has dropped to 1-2 million subscribers they may flip one on to make an extra buck, but I honestly don't see it happening ever unfortunately.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Like many have said, I wouldn't fully convert my account. I like experiencing all of the new content, but would love to have a legit and reliable way of experiencing TBC over again. I'm not going to touch all the servers out there offering the content b/c it's 1) Not 'really' the same and 2) Technically illegal.

I would play characters on a live realm and TBC classic mode, but I don't expect it is ever going to happen. Maybe when WoW has dropped to 1-2 million subscribers they may flip one on to make an extra buck, but I honestly don't see it happening ever unfortunately.
    That would be nice if they have legacy servers running though you have to think about it. It's a business, will they get at least some profit out of it? You can't do things on that big a scale in business regardless of how rich Blizzard is. Now if it was publicly funded through donations I don't think they'd have a problem with it.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Underwolf View Post
    Imo, that bold part in the quote above may actually be a very big obstacle in front of establishing legacy servers. Because, if such legacy servers receive a lot of subs it can be interpreted as Blizzard screwed up in the recent expansions (basically Cata and MoP), especially considering the large scale sub losses since the beginning of Cata. Keep in mind that Blizzard folks have jobs and careers to worry about, and they also need to worry about the relations with shareholders and investors.

The only way I can imagine legacy servers may become possible is if and when Blizzard gets so desperate (if for instance sub losses continue in large numbers and Titan does not become the next WoW in terms of attracting lots of players) that they may decide to disregard the risks of looking like they screwed up for the sake of the revenue they can get from legacy servers (a large pool of tens of millions of potential players).
    I think you hit at one of the major reasons I think they are reluctant to do it but one they wouldn't say, they are worried about cannibalizing players from the main game too.

Basically, the current game sucks, the old game sucked too.

So, someone tell me what period of time this game was fun during?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    Basically, the current game sucks, the old game sucked too.

So, someone tell me what period of time this game was fun during?
    Was fun in TBC, got more fun in wrath, lost it's fun factor in Cata, and is slowly gaining it back in MoP. I loved TBC, but I would never go back to the game since all of the new QoL changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    I think you hit at one of the major reasons I think they are reluctant to do it but one they wouldn't say, they are worried about cannibalizing players from the main game too.
    They would do this in a heartbeat if they thought they could bring in more players and make money on it. You can bet they've looked at it, decided they can't and moved on. Something that everyone else should do. It's a silly rationale for not making money if they could. So, they can't.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Just found this. Blizzard sued a private server host and won $88 million in damages. Interesting tidbit:

However, the majority of the award was $85.4m in "statutory damages". The court decided to award Blizzard $200 "per act of circumvention" - i.e. for each of Scapegaming's 427,000 users when the community was at its peak in June 2008.
    That's a lot of interest considering WotLK wasn't released until November 2008. So the people playing on those server were either on vanilla or previous patches of BC.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...te-server-case
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    I visualized playing it in my head and it was bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathane View Post
    I mean you have all the trademarks of one childish, ignorant, irresponsible, retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would just play what's out there. I've done the time on each expansion already. I'm not really nostalgic in that sense. The only thing I really miss was the good times Currently creating new ones with MoP!
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

Deleted
    You know I actually do hope they will implement some old patch realms, just one of each will do. Just so everyone with false nostalgia can find out that things weren't better and we can finally end this discussion...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneOstrich View Post
    You know I actually do hope they will implement some old patch realms, just one of each will do. Just so everyone with false nostalgia can find out that things weren't better and we can finally end this discussion...
    Funny because I'm currently playing on a BC server (ohhh smite me) and my god how can I enjoy it, play it more so than MoP? I'm not the only one. (Psychosocial reference)
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    Funny because I'm currently playing on a BC server (ohhh smite me) and my god how can I enjoy it, play it more so than MoP? I'm not the only one. (Psychosocial reference)
    Maybe you have that real feeling about it, but the person you responded too(and I agree with him) has a point. It seems to be a habit on every WoW forum to bash the current content(whether it's right or not is a different matter) and praise the old content. I've been back to tbc and wrath on a private server, but the feeling for me was not the same as it was on live back when tbc was current.(this was in cata). Mechanics felt clunky compared to cata(and I dont even want to know how it wuld be compared to MoP AM tanking), and bossmechanics seemed extremely boring and repeating. Overall, the experience I had was less fun than I had on live, so I went back, and with the introduction of MoP I haven't regretted that yet.
    Lilaith, resident flamer for Winterfall, holy moderator in Hammer of Wrath.
    Discord: Lilaith#9028
    Bnet: Lilaith#2476

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viriel View Post
    Maybe you have that real feeling about it, but the person you responded too(and I agree with him) has a point. It seems to be a habit on every WoW forum to bash the current content(whether it's right or not is a different matter) and praise the old content. I've been back to tbc and wrath on a private server, but the feeling for me was not the same as it was on live back when tbc was current.(this was in cata). Mechanics felt clunky compared to cata(and I dont even want to know how it wuld be compared to MoP AM tanking), and bossmechanics seemed extremely boring and repeating. Overall, the experience I had was less fun than I had on live, so I went back, and with the introduction of MoP I haven't regretted that yet.
    The Dutch were always known as the ones unwilling to listen, I kid, though I've heard your people are very straight and to the point with no icing on top.

Whatever floats your boat, I don't play WoW like I would a mindless FPS such as CoD or ARAM in LoL. I play it for an adventure, sort of like Skyrim I guess and MoP lacks that adventure feel much like Cataclysm.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    I think I did mention it earlier in the thread, but why what about progression realms with a slow release of content?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    The Dutch were always known as the ones unwilling to listen, I kid, though I've heard your people are very straight and to the point with no icing on top.

Whatever floats your boat, I don't play WoW like I would a mindless FPS such as CoD or ARAM in LoL. I play it for an adventure, sort of like Skyrim I guess and MoP lacks that adventure feel much like Cataclysm.
    Ghe, take a guess as to where I am from, so I suppose you have a point. I guess I shouldn't deny people their fun, I just can't imagine there are enough people to fill entire realms, but maybe that's just me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneOstrich View Post
    Ghe, take a guess as to where I am from, so I suppose you have a point. I guess I shouldn't deny people their fun, I just can't imagine there are enough people to fill entire realms, but maybe that's just me
    You're an ostrich, I'd assume the Savannah's in Africa.

OT: I think there are enough to fill at least a couple realms, it's not like you need to make 50 of them.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    The vast majority of the vanilla nostalgia boys and girls would most likely stop playing after 1 week when they realize vanilla isn't as cool as they thought it was and then finally quit wow and leave us alone.

Because then they realize that all their emotions about wow over the passed years in fact IS nostalgia and has nothing todo with 'bad game design or panda's'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sersel View Post
    The vast majority of the vanilla nostalgia boys and girls would most likely stop playing after 1 week when they realize vanilla isn't as cool as they thought it was and then finally quit wow and leave us alone.

Because then they realize that all their emotions about wow over the passed years in fact IS nostalgia and has nothing todo with 'bad game design or panda's'.
    Actually there are a fair amount of people playing on private servers for Vanilla and BC whether you want to believe it or not, it's factual evidence.
    Hey everyone

"Fair amount" is very subjective compared to the retail WoW player base. At least from my experience playing on such server, even tho it was about 6 years ago.
    Last edited by Tofifi; 2013-05-17 at 08:55 AM.