Poll: Legacy Realms

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofifi View Post
    "Fair amount" is very subjective compared to the retail WoW player base. At least from my experience playing on such server, even tho it was about 6 years ago.
    There would be 1 reason why I would log on to any such server. Do to original AV! ok and maybe do green dragons + original kazzak and raids if I had the time. other than that no. I would also play a warrior and not a shaman. I hated having to play a healer when I had no intention of being a healer when I logged in for the first time!

It would cost blizzard a fair amount of time and money to set this up despite what people say. The only way I could see it coming would be if we saw realm merges and any free'd up resources from that "could" be used to give these servers a try. but I doubt the demand is as high as people make out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how staggeringly low the results are for Cataclysm realms.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Flipping back to a BC/Wrath server wouldn't bring me back into the guild I was in during those times, since pretty much none of the people I played with then that left would bother coming back. Furthermore, were this sponsored/run by Blizzard (as the OP seems to insinuate), it could detract from additional content on current servers, due to having to maintain these legacy servers.

I would much rather move forward, while keeping lessons of the past (and present) in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Underwolf View Post
    Imo, that bold part in the quote above may actually be a very big obstacle in front of establishing legacy servers. Because, if such legacy servers receive a lot of subs it can be interpreted as Blizzard screwed up in the recent expansions (basically Cata and MoP), especially considering the large scale sub losses since the beginning of Cata. Keep in mind that Blizzard folks have jobs and careers to worry about, and they also need to worry about the relations with shareholders and investors.

The only way I can imagine legacy servers may become possible is if and when Blizzard gets so desperate (if for instance sub losses continue in large numbers and Titan does not become the next WoW in terms of attracting lots of players) that they may decide to disregard the risks of looking like they screwed up for the sake of the revenue they can get from legacy servers (a large pool of tens of millions of potential players).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    I think you hit at one of the major reasons I think they are reluctant to do it but one they wouldn't say, they are worried about cannibalizing players from the main game too.
    I agree with these sentiments, they do represent a clear risk for Blizzard. However, they could implement this in an "integrated" way, whereby certain raids and instances were made available via the Caverns of Time. Here's an idea:

Each major city has a portal sending the player to the Caverns of Time
    The Caverns of Time are expanded to include portals to major classic raids and instances such as:

Molten Core
    Blackwing Lair
    Ahn'Qiraj
    Naxxramas (T3)

Entering through these portals gives players a non-removable "Timewalker" debuff which reduces their level and/or stats to an appropriate value. So for example if you entered Blackwing Lair through one of these portals, you would be level 60 (effectively or in actuality) with appropriate health, mana and spellpower as well as gear stats. The portals would also likely need a minimum level for entry, e.g level 70 for a level 60 raid.

However, there are other considerations.

1) If this was to give an genuine vanilla experience, the raid would need 40 people to complete it. Likely the raid would have to be retuned for 25 people.
    2) the secondary resource that classes now have would have to be disabled or the raid tuned in such a way as to nullify its effects.
    3) Currently, the classes don't seem to have the mana management issues they had in vanilla (more's the pity, lol) so this would also have to be taken into consideration.

Likely there are other, more subtle issues that need to be taken into account, but I can't think of them right now.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyptheria View Post
    *snip*
    This concept is already being discussed as the potential 'big feature' GC talked about coming for this expansion. Similar to how LFD/LFR changed the game the last couple of expansions, being able to queue for LFR for old dungeons/raids with downscaling is apparently a very high possibility.

And it would be stupid not to have it honestly. A good write up on a blog site about how their tech is almost at that stage now, with how Heirlooms and Challenge Modes making a large part of similar coding. I think they would spend more time determining how to put rewards on it and the potential negative impacts to the 'real' LFR.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    The Dutch were always known as the ones unwilling to listen, I kid, though I've heard your people are very straight and to the point with no icing on top.

Whatever floats your boat, I don't play WoW like I would a mindless FPS such as CoD or ARAM in LoL. I play it for an adventure, sort of like Skyrim I guess and MoP lacks that adventure feel much like Cataclysm.
    This is exactly it for me too. I play WoW (RPGs in general) for the adventure and explorations aspects of them, not for pew pew. I'd go to shooters for pew pew. I believe the players who still miss Vanilla/BC times are that type of players who seek adventure and exploration. The adventure/exploration in this game has been greatly diminished through a lot of teleporting in place of travelling, accessing to dungeons bgs etc through clicking menus, lfd lfr etc.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underwolf View Post
    The adventure/exploration in this game has been greatly diminished through a lot of teleporting in place of travelling, accessing to dungeons bgs etc through clicking menus, lfd lfr etc.
    While your specific examples are true, your overall point is not. There are multiple things that tried to enhance the explorative nature of the game this time. Some examples : No flying mounts while leveling, new loremaster stuff with the scrolls, treasure achievement from looting all the 'lost' objects, dailies in each of the zones, etc.

None of those actual exploration activities were present in TBC or Vanilla. Sure you had to stay on the ground, but that doesn't mean you are exploring. Going to a raid wasn't any more interesting when I had to take a FP from SW to Thorium Point then run in a straight line into an instance, complete the same jumps on a chain, then ran in.

I went afk to make food on the FP, watched TV while getting to the instance, then paid attention when I was inside. Now at least there are things you can do out in the land other than going from point A to point B. Sorry, but that reason is invalid.
    BAD WOLF

You're not gonna get much exploration or see anything new by going back. LFR for old raids is a good idea tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyptheria View Post
    1) If this was to give an genuine vanilla experience, the raid would need 40 people to complete it. Likely the raid would have to be retuned for 25 people.
    2) the secondary resource that classes now have would have to be disabled or the raid tuned in such a way as to nullify its effects.
    3) Currently, the classes don't seem to have the mana management issues they had in vanilla (more's the pity, lol) so this would also have to be taken into consideration.

Likely there are other, more subtle issues that need to be taken into account, but I can't think of them right now.
    Keep in mind stats like mastery didn't exist until cata. And mastery is the reason level 80s were able to solo level 80 and level 90 content. Also, hunters don't use mana anymore and armor pen is gone as well as a massive list of other buffs and debuffs. And I don't think it would be simple to remove mastery on all pre-85 raids as specs that stack mastery, like arcane mages, would be completely useless.

If this is the new feature they plan to release I think it will be pointless because the old raids with the current class mechanics will never give the feeling that the game had in previous iterations. And at that point you might as well just solo it at 90.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    I visualized playing it in my head and it was bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathane View Post
    I mean you have all the trademarks of one childish, ignorant, irresponsible, retarded.

As always, Everquest got there first, so we know what would happen.

The legacy servers would be really popular for a week or two. Then the new would wear off, all of the old problems would show up, and most of the population would flee. Within two months the servers would be virtual ghost towns, with a small group of progression raiders hanging out to blast through old content at warp speeds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Runescape tried the legacy server idea when they brought back old school '07 servers. The servers were great at first but literally only fed off of nostalgia. There were zero new players and no new content, and the community died pretty quickly.

The problem is that nowadays dungeons have to be grinded, i.e. run again and again to get valor points and this has to be done with random LFD groups. This means that long dungeons (BRD) or challenging dungeons (TBC or even 4.0/4.1 heroics) aren't viable anymore. In Vanilla and TBC dungeons were endgame content for many players, you ran them to get powerful gear and completing them wasn't guaranteed. I blame Wrath for shifting the model towards badge grinding ad nauseam. I honestly preferred the first model much more, but I think that LFD+VP grind and real dungeons don't go well together.

While it would be cool to go back and hit ICC again as an 80, or BT at 70, I don't think that beyond the initial nostalgia factor, that it'd be much fun. Probably not worth the cost to set up, and they likely wouldn't have a sustainable population. Add in no matchmaking to the crappy population, and a high time investment required, and I think it's a disaster waiting to happen. The whole paradigm of MMOs is shifted from what it used to be, and stuff like that is now standard in almost every game. Going backwards isn't really a good idea, IMO

If you look at the poll numbers , it shows that just about half the people want to be able to have the choice of going to a legacy realm. That would change over. That is pretty substantial, I would love to see Blizzard give people the choice, there are many who want it.

I am all for legacy realms. It would bring in more players to experience the content as it use to be. When they were done, they could transfer to another server, say from vanilla to BC. This would earn blizzard tons of money. They would not have to update the vanilla, BC, wotlk, or cata. when people did all they could on the legacy realm they would just go to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    If you look at the poll numbers , it shows that just about half the people want to be able to have the choice of going to a legacy realm. That would change over. That is pretty substantial, I would love to see Blizzard give people the choice, there are many who want it.
    It shows that ~37% of people that have answered this poll would come back for a legacy realm. Not really near half.

I personally have no issue with them, as they wouldn't really effect my gameplay. but I seriously doubt blizzard would ever do this due to the potential to lose so much money on this... assuming they even had the ability to roll back servers to allow this.

Quote Originally Posted by britishbubba View Post
    It shows that ~37% of people that have answered this poll would come back for a legacy realm. Not really near half.

I personally have no issue with them, as they wouldn't really effect my gameplay. but I seriously doubt blizzard would ever do this due to the potential to lose so much money on this... assuming they even had the ability to roll back servers to allow this.
    Alright. Look at is like this: If 37% of all players who had previously and currently played would like a legacy server, that is millions of players. Now that I think ot if, Blizz is shooting themselves in the foot for not doing this sooner.

People forget that blizzard would never bother to balance any legacy realm, you would have classes that are either useless or outrageously overpowered...

Also many specs or classes have CRUCIAL spells that they get only at very high levels, not to mention having access to talent points - another major issue that blizz would never waste resources to fix.

In short, you will NEVER get legacy realms - blizzard is fully focused on both progress in WoW and making content the highest % of players would use.
    As you can see in many of these polls, a very tiny % is actually interested - and it is unknown how many would actually play after they see how HORRIBLY BAD their class/spec is missing spells/talents and being an underdog...

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Alright. Look at is like this: If 37% of all players who had previously and currently played would like a legacy server, that is millions of players. Now that I think ot if, Blizz is shooting themselves in the foot for not doing this sooner.
    But it's no 37%. It's much less than that. MMO-Champion ir hardly a representative sample of the overall population, not to mention only a small part of MMO-C's posters have actually voted in this poll.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

You can't think of it like that though, most people who quit wow have moved on. Some moved on 7 years ago. The reason there is such a high* response here is because the people who quit wow but still post on these forums are incapable of moving on and like to think that they would enjoy wow again if they could go back to an imagined "golden era".

* By high I mean there are more than 5 people who express an interest.