Question Would some of you give me some honest advice about upgrading?

At this moment in time, It has been a year or so down the line since I have upgraded or touched any parts of my computer.

I hope anyone can give me good advice as to what is good in the graphics market currently, worth saving up for, what pitfalls and problems I currently have with my PRESENT choices of parts.

The advice I get from this place has helped me so much in the past and I find myself trusting you guys more so than the usual blather I hear at computer stores. I am aware the front page usually has all this 'Dolphin' and set designs for better gameplay, but I also like hearing the opinions of others.

I will watch this thread like a hawk, so if there is a lot of information I have not included (Most likely), please do ask!! Thank you for reading, I look forward to any and all advice, or slaps across the face for my current build.

Deleted
    upgrade with what kind of new performance standard in mind?
    also any chance you know what kind of PSU you have? (perhaps open up the case and check the sticker on it)

Performance standard... well... I am not as computer savi as many others, but I was trying to play asassins creed 2 today and it was FPS hell, even with the settings turned down, I want to increase it's performance in terms of FPS, I think the processor may be the big problem here, either that, or my graphics card, which may be a little outdated.

PSU wise: XFX Pro550W 'Core Edition'

What is your budget?

Wait three weeks, get an i5 4570K and a Z87 motherboard. Will run you to around 300 dollars. Then think about a graphics card, another 150-200 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    What is your budget?

Wait three weeks, get an i5 4570K and a Z87 motherboard. Will run you to around 300 dollars. Then think about a graphics card, another 150-200 dollars.
    I am going to start saving up and see if I can hit a £500 mark in total, the graphics card I can imagine would be a lot more. So I could try to get money for my Birthday in september hehe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assassins Creed 2? I find it a bit odd that your system can't run that. It's a 4 year old game.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Assassins Creed 2? I find it a bit odd that your system can't run that. It's a 4 year old game.
    I know.. that is why I came here, it has me concerned :/ Can heating effect performance? If so, I may need to get better air circulation through my case.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeLions View Post
    I know.. that is why I came here, it has me concerned :/ Can heating effect performance? If so, I may need to get better air circulation through my case.
    Yes, excessive heat can and will cause the components to reduce their performance. Your CPU should not be going above 50-55°C (its normal operating temperature should be between 35 and 45°C).

Yes, excessive heat can and will cause the components to reduce their performance. Your CPU should not be going above 50-55°C (its normal operating temperature should be between 35 and 45°C).
    Eeesh... Mine was hitting 77. Fans, here I come!

Processor Idle after a gaming sessions is 45 degrees currently.

Edit: I meant my GPU, sorry.
    Last edited by ThreeLions; 2013-05-10 at 05:42 PM.

How hot does the CPU get while gaming?

Sorry, someone took me away, 60-69 Degrees whilst playing wow with full graphics.

Grab a can of compressed air, take the computer outside and give it a good clean. Your CPU heatsink is probably clogged with dust.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeLions View Post
    Sorry, someone took me away, 60-69 Degrees whilst playing wow with full graphics.
    That's too much. Around 50-55C is what you should be seeing without overclocking, 70C might actually slow down the computer preventing overheat damage and will slow down your game fps too.

Clean all heatsinks and fans especially if there are pets or smokers near the computer and make sure case airflow isn't terrible.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe those phenoms start throttling at 72-75c. IIRC AMD lists a max safe temperature of 62c but that's a very lowballed number. 60-69 shouldn't see any throttling. But i'd clean out the heatsink anyway. At stock clocks and voltages that should be at 50-55c for that CPU.

60-69c is an awfully broad number...not sure how it's fluctuating that much in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    I believe those phenoms start throttling at 72-75c. IIRC AMD lists a max safe temperature of 62c but that's a very lowballed number. 60-69 shouldn't see any throttling. But i'd clean out the heatsink anyway.

60-69c is an awfully broad number...not sure how it's fluctuating that much in a game.
    Compare the CPU load while in an intense boss encounter to the CPU load while idling between attempts. You'd be surprised.

I shall give it a good clean. I think you may be right with the case of dust, I am hoping to purchase a new case soon anyways,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Maste...932-KKN5-GP%29

I have no fans other than the GPU and the CPU fans, so that of course is an obvious to me. I must have taken them out a few weeks ago, just goes to show, silent fans, not always a good thing! Side note: I am an idiot. The PSU also has a fan of its own, but it seems to me like this is too much heat negating the lack of fans.

Update: Yep.. dusty around the heatsink, I shall get a can of compressed.

Give it a good clean, and put those case fans back in. Passive air-flow won't be enough to keep cool air moving towards the CPU and GPU heatsinks and out of the other side.

Give it a good clean, and put those case fans back in. Passive air-flow won't be enough to keep cool air moving towards the CPU and GPU heatsinks and out of the other side.
    I shall do, thank you very much for your help today!

Just jumping in to say I run with the same exact CPU and it should be able to handle what you want without a problem. Give that puppy a good clean and maybe consider picking up a new heatsink if you're still using the stock one that came with the CPU.