43 23.76%
  • Once in a while with friends

60 33.15%
  • No, I don't role-play

78 43.09%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I used to RP almost daily, it slowly got up to a halt when more of my friends quit. I still RP ocassionally with friends and continue storylines of our characters. It is somehow one of the main reasons I level; if the RP background and concept I have for my character is interesting I would level it more. Hopefully I'll RP some more in the future.

Yes and no. I roleplay when I am with my friends, but elsewise I just be me.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do. My current character is a priest that duel wields Frostmourne and Atiesh. He is currently the public relations officer for Garrosh while still being best friends with Varian (He saved his daughter from a buring building in the 80s).

For some reason I'm not very well like on RP servers.

Seriously though. No I don't roleplay. I do however try to give them lore names and create a little back stories for my characters. I keep them in my head though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Yes, I do.. when its possible. On argent dawn EU. But lately the rp crowd has gotten less and less, you see them in cities and occationally around hubs, but not like before

Thing that pisses me off, are people playing on rp realms, and contributing nothing to it, either trolling, being hardcore raiders or pvpers, and yet never rping, or downloading rp addons to interact with.. WHAT is the point of that? Its like a none pvper playing on a pvp realm and complaining when he gets ganked.
    Thing that actually happens, happened and will ever be. Just in my local version of the official forum (Italian) that have 2 damn dedicated servers, only one PvP, threads like these grows like flowers in spring. Players in PvP servers complaining that that are no restrictions to ganking. And all responding "go PvE". An endless circle.

PS. Come to Defias Brotherhood Trassk, it is not like old times but is maybe one of the few remaining decent servers, worth of the PvP flag on the head.

OT. Yeah i used to be sometimes in Defias, on the "light-medium" area of roleplaying, i don't like do it often but enjoyed do it sometimes with my ex Troll Rogue, now turned in Ally to another server mostly for friends and "Know your Lore" purposes, levelling up a Troll Monk with some good RP hooks in mind, and a cool background.

---------- Post added 2013-05-11 at 12:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    You're my favorite kind of non-RPer. Horrible names drive me nuts, especially on RP realms (where I'm totally cool with non-RPers being).
    Yeah, genius things like "lolmage", or "illhealyou" or "bestshaman".
    Last edited by Zulkhan; 2013-05-11 at 01:06 AM.

Deleted
    I roleplayed on a private server and it was awesome...but any retail server role play has been utter shit.

I also find it laughable that on a lot of RP realms there are so many RP rules and if you don't stick to it your left out. For example in the way you communicate...

But yeah, roleplaying on private servers where no huge community were busy with following rules it was really fun...actually having guilds have a war over land (zones) was pretty fucking epic, even if you lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the warcraft lore and I would think I know a rather good portion of it - and I like to RP, transmogs and character names. Even my spec have a huge role in what I feel of my character. Sometime I have an unrelated name just for fun for my banking character or the like but for my main characters I like to keep it.. "clean".

But I'm horrible at sticking to a backstory.

I used to roleplay in real life aswell. Live Action Roleplay. Not board game or DnD
    But it's too expensive, those outfits cost a bit.

Unfortunately the friends I play with don't roleplay in game. We used to do IRL roleplay together, they still do, but for some reason they don't see the in game feel of the game being a roleplaying game. WoW have kinda faded away from it. Bronzebeard EU is not the best roleplaying server haha.

I always make a background story for singleplayer games where you don't exactly have the story told. Like the elder scrolls serie (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) and Fallout. Kinda hard to make your own story in games like The Witcher :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Spphy View Post
    I love the warcraft lore and I would think I know a rather good portion of it - and I like to RP, transmogs and character names. Even my spec have a huge role in what I feel of my character. Sometime I have an unrelated name just for fun for my banking character or the like but for my main characters I like to keep it.. "clean".

But I'm horrible at sticking to a backstory.

I used to roleplay in real life aswell. Live Action Roleplay. Not board game or DnD
    But it's too expensive, those outfits cost a bit.

Unfortunately the friends I play with don't roleplay in game. We used to do IRL roleplay together, they still do, but for some reason they don't see the in game feel of the game being a roleplaying game. WoW have kinda faded away from it. Bronzebeard EU is not the best roleplaying server haha.

I always make a background story for singleplayer games where you don't exactly have the story told. Like the elder scrolls serie (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) and Fallout. Kinda hard to make your own story in games like The Witcher :P
    I think that there must be some kind of particular immersion in the "role", excatly as a real actor, and this means trick your own mind to thinks in the same way of the pg you created, not just imagine all the times what to do with your own mindset, and more the background is detailed and with sense and more the immersion is good, i can easly "survive" even to trolls and various retarded, writing some OOC line to insult them and then back to the immersion lol

Deleted
    Do any role players get a full Stormwind guard item set then walk into an inn and complain about how hard a shift they had?

I roleplayed once. I was a human used mount salesman (slash scam artist) with blonde hair. Naturally, I was a rogue. I went to Goldshire and begun to advertise my wares; 'Used mounts for sale!' While I didn't make any sales, I did strike upon gold- A paladin offered to become my bodyguard and business partner! It was a match made in heaven. So, I went about my work, and eventually someone started talking to me; "You sell used mounts?" "Yes!" I proclaimed boisterously, for all the Heavens to hear, including my customer- For he was a true angel! "Can you get me a sea turtle mount?" And so, the game began.

"Well, I don't have any in stock at the moment- but if you make a down payment, I can get you one," I offered in return, my most sincere of smiles gracing his gaze. But he saw through my deception; "SCAMMER!" he roared at the top of his lungs, and the inn emptied to challenge me! I was without a hope- Even my bodyguard turned against me, seizing the opportunity to rip my business from my hands. A savior arrived, however- A warlock, of the highest levels, appeared from the skies to challenge the horde one by one- And one by one, they were defeated. He killed them all, and begged for no thanks.

And I went about my business again. "Used mounts!" A man approached. "hey how much?" he offered. "50g," I replied. "lol ripoff" the peasant snarked, before running off to Stormwind.

(i roleplay occasionally)
    Last edited by LilSaihah; 2013-05-11 at 05:16 AM.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Should have had "To an extent, but never with other people" or something similar.

I make RP names for all my characters. I always play human rogues/assassins/ninjas/etc. I tend to VERY lightly RP-joke with very close friends (EX: *Throws a wad of paper at you*). I can never get too serious, nor can I pretend to be someone I'm not. I think it would be fun if I wouldn't feel so uncomfortable about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakazam View Post
    Do any role players get a full Stormwind guard item set then walk into an inn and complain about how hard a shift they had?
    They do on RP realms
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Couple years ago i used to do it like once a year. Now i dunno what to pick because i dont find it lame, but i dont do it..

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    From what I remember, it's creating a story. Not any different then reading a book? I don't see why it's an issue, or why it's lame to others. Actually, those that do RP with WoW, have a connection with the lore. Without RPers, I think the lore would be plain. I like reading conversations being held. It makes the little stuff matter, rather than the big picture.

Is it even possible to acquire such an armor set?

I don't think I would still be playing if not for RP, honestly. It's kept me interested when the game itself was stale. Now, granted, there are tons of things Blizzard could do to improve QoL for roleplayers, but I'm not holding my breath. Things like surnames/family trees, player-created quests/housing/items, even the music system from LoTRO is great and lends a breath of life to the cities there.

I think my blog is in my sig, I've been writing my characters for several years.

---------- Post added 2013-05-11 at 11:30 AM ----------

There are whole guilds of people who RP city guards on my server and others. There is a whole guild of just gnomes, they're a lot of fun to see when they do their raids and stuff.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Yes, I do.. when its possible. On argent dawn EU. But lately the rp crowd has gotten less and less, you see them in cities and occationally around hubs, but not like before

Thing that pisses me off, are people playing on rp realms, and contributing nothing to it, either trolling, being hardcore raiders or pvpers, and yet never rping, or downloading rp addons to interact with.. WHAT is the point of that? Its like a none pvper playing on a pvp realm and complaining when he gets ganked.
    Trassk horde or Alliance ;P? but yes I do RP and Argent Dawn EU both Horde and Alliance tho more Alliance as it's "open" compared to what i've seen from Horde.

I do to a point in my head, in the sense that when questing through a zone for the first time, I really pay attention and imagine myself being the character. As far as interacting with other players though, no. I am who I am, no matter the race or gender of my character.

i dont really roleplay with other people but i like to think up a backstories for my characters and whatnot
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    I never role play not because it's lame (I used to roleplay in chatrooms so I'd know how enjoyable that was) but rather because I don't know how to engage or even begin actual roleplaying in WoW. I've only gone as far as thinking about my toons' backstory and give them character.

All these times I've done heroics chain-pulling, do dailies, level alts, run battlegrounds, do old raids, basically everything but roleplay... I think I need to give WoW roleplaying a try soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I'm going to publicly oust you, Tziva. She used to RP. Kinda. In fact, her "RP" is one of my favorite memories from Wrath.

I had found that druid dressed in the murloc suit in Borean Tundra and the following was said in guild.

Faroth: Um, Tziva, there's a fellow here saying he's the king of murlocs.
    Tziva: He's a liar. Stab him in the face. Twice!

(Tziva rocked the murloc suit from Blizzcon before raids in TBC. She was the murloc queen.)
    This is about the level of RP I get to as well, more in a joking sense, then actual RP acting like I'm in character or anything. I have a friend who's more prolific at it, and he talks as his characters half the time, but also purely out of jest and entertainment then being serious about it. My roleplaying is mostly reacting to him when he's in character and talking to my character, which is usually just silly stuff to counter him and to allow him to go off on a tangent and keep me (and himself) entertained. I guess my vote is somewhere between never and somtimes with friends, cause it's mostly never, but I don't think it's lame at all.